NEurope
Jonnas

Favourite levels and/or sections

*Credit for this thread's original idea goes to Flinky

So, taking direct inspiration from Flinky's thread in the Wii board, here's a thread, created just so that we may post about our favourite stages/levels/sections in games. From any console, really (except for Wii games, as those already have the previously mentioned thread)

I'll start with those I already posted there (I'll post some new ones later on):

loz-watertemple--article_image.jpg

The Water Temple - I love almost every dungeon in OoT, but the Water Temple really stands out. It's not just the challenge it brings, it's the fact that, again and again, it kept surprising me. First, the main pillar/room, then the rotating platforms in waterfalls, then Dark Link, then the wild river with whirlpools, then Morpha.

Definitely, the most well-designed temple in the series' history.

gxreview7in.jpg

Story Mode: Chapter 4 - F-Zero GX is an excellent game, but there's only one part of the game where the goal is to kill everyone else. I can't remember how many times I replayed this chapter. Honestly, it just makes me wish for a Carmaggeddon/F-Zero crossover

(0:49 to 1:52)

The Leaf Surf Level - This is a bit on the obscure side, but this is definitely one of my favourite games on the Mega Drive. This Donald-exclusive level happened to be really fun. A bit easy, but the fast-paced nature, along with that awesome music made it so that I loved using Donald exclusively just so that I could play that level (later on, he also had an awesome caribbean-themed level, but that's another story)

0.jpg

Jumpin' Jack Flash - This was a no-brainer. Each mission was getting better than the last, so it's incredible that they managed to give the game such an amazing finale.

22df6a456f4e2ba828b70a41549e799c_display.jpg

The Final Battle - Truth be told, no other game managed to tell such an emotional plot so well (for me, at least). That entire final sequence gave a satsifying ending to the story, and nearly brought tears to my eyes. Honestly, I believe that ending cemented Mother 3 as one of the best RPGs of all time

So, what are your favourites?

When you say every console except the Wii, are you including other current generation consoles? What about multiplayer Maps?

If so:

Battlefield Bad Company 2: Arica Harbor (PS3 Beta Map):

Perhaps by this time tomorrow (as hopefully I'll have the full game by then). I'll have played a map that surpasses this.

When played my first match of the PS3 beta of Bad Company 2, my mind was blown. It was by far the best online experience I've had with any game. It wasn't just down to the game itself though, the one map that was playable in the Beta was very well designed. Every section of the map was distinct, it didn't just feel like the same bit of map I had played in the first one, but an all new map. First there was the boarder cross area, followed by the town, followed by the bridge, and after that there were the two bases in the harbor. Every style of gameplay was accounted for, and the map felt very balanced because of this. If you wanted to play as a sniper, there were some great sniping spots, if you wanted to sneak into the enemy base via stealth, there were ways of doing it. If you wanted to sit at the front lines, taking cover, and trying to suppress the enemy, the map was designed to incorporate that style of play. The vehicles and spawn points were also placed at just the right points to put the frontline right at the most interesting sections of the map.

256709-s_k_31_super.gif

I never got this far when I first had it as a kid, but when I got Mega Collection for gamecube, this blew me away when I reached it.

I'm sure theres more, but I just cant seem to think of any more!

Mario Galaxy 2

super-mario-galaxy-2007071111061613.jpg

Zelda: Twilight Princess

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-version-20060607043210052_640w.jpg

Metroid Prime

Phendrana-Drifts1.png

Dragon Quest VIII

dragon-quest-8.jpg

Final Fantasy XII

FinalFantasyXIIGreatestHitsPS2shot.jpg

There are couple of others I might put up soon, but those are fine for now :heh:

When you say every console except the Wii, are you including other current generation consoles?

Well being the retro board and all...

As for a great moments in gaming, hows about the opening section of ALttP:

through_the_night_by_orioto.jpg

Majora's Mask: Clock Town

Just so alive, so much to do. Twilight Princess' Hyrule Castle Town had nothing on this, despite coming out so much later. Not only was it constantly moving, it had 3 days worth of events going on, and 3 days of different layouts and dynamic transformations. You could even stay til the dying moments and witness it emptied in fear of impending doom

Sonic & Knuckles: Lava Reef zone and Hidden Palace zone.

Just something about the colours and the music.... And the giant rings were plentiful meaning that quick 50 rings needed to go Super/Hyper.

Super Mario Bros. 3: World 8, Dark World.

Using the P-Wing to clear the whole first level then swimming under the whole second level. Hoping you can make it accross the overworld in the second section without getting sucked into too many mini-levels, only to find a third section with levels such as the one where you can only see 1cm around yourself at all times. Challenging and brilliant, better than anything on the New Super Mario Bros. games.

Wind Waker: Under water.

That little desperate moment when you dared to hope, to dream, that you would be able to explore OoT's Hyrule even a little bit. Sure, the hope was quickly shattered, but still, just revealing that landscape as nothing more than a backdrop of unreachable awesomeness was... well it just was.

Mario Galaxy 2

Retro fail.

Ocarina of Time

zeldaseries408.jpg

Goldeneye

Metal Gear Solid

To be fair I could fill this thread with any moments from the Metal Gear Solid saga :laughing::D

Crash Bandicoot: Warped

After reading the thread name I instantly remembered this level. In time trial I was able to set a time (I don't know the exact numbers. Maybe it was 15.48 seconds or 16.48) which I have never been able to beat. I played this level to death and I always reached the record that I have set but I just couldn't beat it.

Final Fantasy IX

3469066ozma.gif

Ozma, the little fucker. When I first played the game (the first time I've ever played a FF game) I got obliterated every single time I fought him. Even after leveling up quite a lot and using different tactical approaches. Come to think of it...I've never beaten that weird planet thingy.

Wild 9

Amazing. Never played further than the first level (I was a kid and the game wasn't mine). But as I said: Slamming the enemies on the ground: pure fun.

FFVI

After leaving the Returners Hideout down the river, and the party splits into 3 groups. I've always been fond of that section, I think my favorite was going with Sabin to get Cyan and fighting the Ghost Train.

Also, the intro with Mode 7 MagiTek suits walking to Narshe was always fantastic to watch.

Oh and it isn't a favorites thread without the obligatory Opera Scene.

Stuff like this came to mind:

artingames_papermario2_locations.jpg

Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door

Come on Intelligent Systems, after M&L:BiS, a new Paper Mario game should kick off the beginning of fresh, new and innovative Mario RPGs once again:D

and of course every area in Rayman: Hoodlum Havoc.

Especially liked the Desert of the Knaarens

rayman-3-hoodlum-havoc-75750.475436.jpg

Edited by Fused King

When you say every console except the Wii, are you including other current generation consoles? What about multiplayer Maps?

1. A multiplayer map, much like a fighting game stage, counts;

2. As for current-gen games... what Darksnowman said :heh:

A few more:

sonic1_spring_yard_zone_zona3.gif

Spring Yard Zone - A really fun stage all around, with great music. What makes this one of my favourites are the memories from my childhood, where reaching this awesome stage was already a victory (considering the limited access I had to the Mega Drive)

256px-Timesplitters2.JPG

Robot Factory (The Multiplayer Map) - Timesplitters 2 is the best FPS I've ever played. There are several good Multiplayer stages in the game, but my personal favourite is the Robot Factory.

Why? Because, as long as we're playing "mines-only", the battlefield becomes incredibly chaotic and fun. The intersecting, open corridors provide for plenty of opportunities to kill someone from a distance, and everything becomes decorated with stray mines near the end of the game. It's just awesome.

deatheggboss1.png

Death Egg Zone - An awesome ending to an awesome game. Defeating him for the first time was quite an experience. Fearing that I could lose a life if I made a single mistake, it was incredibly satisfying when he finally fell.

Sonic and the disgruntled whale:

Whale--article_image.jpg

Sega Rally Desert Stage:

sega_rally_championship-182710-1.jpeg

JSRF Terminal:

jet-set.jpg

SoA Getting The Delphinus:

800px-Skies_of_Arcadia_Delphinus_Combat-noscale_104.jpg

SotC Big Sword Bastard:

colossus.jpg

FFVI

After leaving the Returners Hideout down the river, and the party splits into 3 groups. I've always been fond of that section, I think my favorite was going with Sabin to get Cyan and fighting the Ghost Train.

Also, the intro with Mode 7 MagiTek suits walking to Narshe was always fantastic to watch.

Oh and it isn't a favorites thread without the obligatory Opera Scene.

Love all those moments. The underwater part when you are divided up is a strange one, but still memorable. The opera being an obvious highlight of not only Final Fantasy VI but gaming itself- I was hoping someone would post it! Makes me want to stick on the Gameboy Player...

Well being the retro board and all...

As for a great moments in gaming, hows about the opening section of ALttP:

through_the_night_by_orioto.jpg

wow. 1010101011110

For me, legend of zelda ocarina of time. Has to be the bit where you are looking for saria in the lost woods. Immense, running through the woods listening for the music and getting back and seeing how it is. How it has all changed.....

Now we need a remake that looks just like that.

I thought that was a screenshot from a remake that I'd somehow not heard about, big gutting. That would be utterly. Stunning.

For me, legend of zelda ocarina of time. Has to be the bit where you are looking for saria in the lost woods. Immense, running through the woods listening for the music and getting back and seeing how it is. How it has all changed.....

Has to be one of the most nostalgic pieces of music ever for me. I love it.

eiwk20.png

0.jpg

fur_fighters.jpg

And it's a cliche, but it's utterly sensational

shadow_of_the_colossus_29109.jpg

Emerald Weapon:- hqdefault.jpg

Finally killed this after a year or two of trying.

Ruby Weapon:- Ruby-Weapon-from-Final-Fa-006.jpg

Easier than emerald i found but still tough as nails.

Golden Chocobo:- cavemateriachevalier.jpg

I owned one of these :)

250px-Pandemonium_box.jpg

Great game that was quite unique, every level was fun!

AccessibleArcade.jpg

I spent most of my time in the arcade.

images.jpg

Dogs. Through. The. Window.

I basically could have picked a couple of dozen moments from the Zelda games I love, but here are a few that really stick out...

In no particular order...

1. Majora's Mask: The Moon - Total WTF moment, insanely cool and surreal, symbolised the game perfectly

53087801.jpg

2. Wind Waker: Tower of the Gods rising - Quite possibly one of the coolest sequences ever in a Zelda game. Awesome, epic, great music and the art style of the game brings it to life. Plenty of Zelda games had you putting pearls and stones in various places, but in this instance the placement actually made a bit more sense!

82523235.jpg

3. Wind Waker: Forbidden Woods - In particular, using the Deku Leaf and the air currents to float your way there was FANTASTIC. Particularly if you happened to do it at night, which made the effect even cooler.

73715995.jpg

4. Wind Waker: The Forsaken Fortress - The very first moment I realised how much creative genius when into this masterpiece of a game. (doesn't TP look stale by comparison)

90696759.jpg

5. Ocarina of Time: Shadow Temple - the galleon/boat ride. Pure genius, with the Triforce symbol, bells on the front, and having to fight baddies before jumping off before it's too late. Great eerie inclusion to an under-rated dungeon.

56451958.jpg

6. Majora's Mask: Deku Palace - Mostly because I adore the music haha

smaskusnap0027.jpg

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by Ronnie

While we're at Zelda...

I can't find a pic or video or anything because apparently the internet must be retarded or something, but...

The part in Twilight Princess where you go to the Twilight Realm and talk to the Twili and all that. Utterly perfect!

I might as well add two of the best boss battles in Zelda history:

Majora's Mask is amazing for letting us replay boss battles whenever we want.

I keep one of my savefiles just for this battle. It's that awesome.

I wasn't sure if TP was classed as retro so left that game out... but now that we're on it, Stallord was insanely cool heart pounding stuff.

TP was pretty good for bosses as another fantastic one:

Argorok_Small.png

Something about being on this floating mass up in the clouds, stormy weather, rain and lightning everywhere as you clawshot your way around the dragon, and then eventually on it. One of the two most epic boss battles in all of Zelda I reckon.