N-Europe

Rumor: Devs already working on 'new Nintendo platform'

marcel

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big Nintendo fan, always have been. But I just don't like the Wii.

If other people like it, fair enough.

And I did state that I am biased.

Just seemed odd on a Nintendo forum to post such strong views without backing them up. Maybe you've done it before and I've not seen your reasons?

Yeah, wondered why you were biased...? How so?

Just seemed odd on a Nintendo forum to post such strong views without backing them up. Maybe you've done it before and I've not seen your reasons?

Yeah, wondered why you were biased...? How so?

I'm biased because I prefer the PS3 and the reason why I prefer the PS3 is because I've simply gotten more out of it. Of course I'm sure there are other people who have both and prefer the Wii, that's just the way it is.

This website may be Nintendo only, but the forum certainly isn't.

Sometimes I do post messages that may seem hostile towards the Wii, but the reason I do that is to entice people to share their views and maybe learn something I didn't know before.

Sometimes it does back fire though.

Sometimes it does back fire though.

Being hostile generally has that effect. :heh:

I too have got a lot out of my PS3. It certainly has some brilliant titles that, at times, feel far more expansive than a lot of Wii titles I have played.

I am also a fan of third party titles with high production values and the Wii has sadly not seen too many titles of such calibre. A real shame for owners of the system and arguably a shame for third party developers who have limited their own business models by conforming to the self-penned virtues of the 3 home consoles.

Other than that though, the Wii has stripped down my own somewhat snobbish gaming model held from previous generations and has taught me that many software houses can create enjoyable pieces of software. Never, as a Nintendo console owner has this happened. Even with the N64 and Gamecube there were ports galore and a general 'stick to what you know' policy coming from all Nintendo gamers I knew. Now though it seems that Wii owners have become aware of other titles, titles that would previously be shunned or termed as dross. I've gathered more enjoyment and gaming experiences out of Wii than any previous console I have ever owned.

And for that reason I am glad Wii isn't, as you stated, deserving to die.

Infact it has breathed life into this industry. Something that will entice new players that will argue about their favourite consoles for years to come.

Perhaps that is the most important thing to look at. I can't imagine not having a Nintendo franchise to play in 30-40 years from now and without the continual adoption of new gamers through fresh experiences (and not just graphics) that will never happen.

Look how the industry has survived on what I would term 'fresh appeal': Early games, the Spectrum/Amstrad/Commodore/Atari. All great but became tiring. Then the NES appeared then the Gameboy, SEGA franchises, Sony business model from the PS1 era, Microsoft's entry into the fray, the Wii 'family friendly' games...Fresh appeal is needed. The PS3/360 have brought fresh online/community and achievement appeals. But the Wii has brought in new gamers. Perhaps the most important thing of all as, without gamers, or even with jaded/tired gamers, no console will survive at all.

That is why, to me, Wii is a sensational system that for all its flaws is a beacon for the gaming industry.

Edited by tapedeck

Being hostile generally has that effect. :heh:

I too have got a lot out of my PS3. It certainly has some brilliant titles that, at times, feel far more expansive than a lot of Wii titles I have played.

I am also a fan of third party titles with high production values and the Wii has sadly not seen too many titles of such calibre. A real shame for owners of the system and arguably a shame for third party developers who have limited their own business models by conforming to the self-penned virtues of the 3 home consoles.

Other than that though, the Wii has stripped down my own somewhat snobbish gaming model held from previous generations and has taught me that many software houses can create enjoyable pieces of software. Never, as a Nintendo console owner has this happened. Even with the N64 and Gamecube there were ports galore and a general 'stick to what you know' policy coming from all Nintendo gamers I knew. Now though it seems that Wii owners have become aware of other titles, titles that would previously be shunned or termed as dross. I've gathered more enjoyment and gaming experiences out of Wii than any previous console I have ever owned.

And for that reason I am glad Wii isn't, as you stated, deserving to die.

Infact it has breathed life into this industry. Something that will entice new players that will argue about their favourite consoles for years to come.

Perhaps that is the most important thing to look at. I can't imagine not having a Nintendo franchise to play in 30-40 years from now and without the continual adoption of new gamers through fresh experiences (and not just graphics) that will never happen.

Look how the industry has survived on what I would term 'fresh appeal': Early games, the Spectrum/Amstrad/Commodore/Atari. All great but became tiring. Then the NES appeared then the Gameboy, SEGA franchises, Sony business model from the PS1 era, Microsoft's entry into the fray, the Wii 'family friendly' games...Fresh appeal is needed. The PS3/360 have brought fresh online/community and achievement appeals. But the Wii has brought in new gamers. Perhaps the most important thing of all as, without gamers, or even with jaded/tired gamers, no console will survive at all.

That is why, to me, Wii is a sensational system that for all its flaws is a beacon for the gaming industry.

As I said earlier, my comment on wanting the Wii to die was just me thinking out aloud. It's just something I want.

Obviously there are certain things I like about the Wii.

I like the Virtual console, I like the fact it's backwards compatible with Gamecube games and I like the fact it's different from the other two consoles.

But I have no desire to send it to Nintendo to get it fixed, (bricked about 8 months ago).

Just gonna wait and see..might be this 'Vitality Sensor'.

Oh god, the vitality sensor. The awesomeness of a device measuring your pulse. The excitement you'll get from seeing your own pulse on your television. It cannot possibly be described.

Lillster, I'll share a few thoughts.

Wii, for me, has reinvigorated gaming for me - just improved it no end. I love the movement, and the fluidity of it - its just fabulous. I'll be honest, i've been thinking of buying a PS3 for a while - I miss the epic productions - we've had nothing like REmake, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness on Wii; and i'm looking forward to Dead Space, INfamous filling that void... but the sedentary controls of the HD twins scares me - will I be bored? Back in the day, i'd play games slouched back in the sofa and I'm happy to say thats completely changed with Wii - i sit up, on the edge of the couch, truly involved, immersed and engrossed. As a side note, I doubt the PSarc and Natal will match Wii in the core space; neither seem suited to games like Madworld, RE4 and Pikmin). Nintendo really have nailed motion control in both the casual and core space; its a huge shame third parties didn't have the creativity and attitude to be brave and bold and great product out in year one - the lack of core product in the first 12 months has really hurt the core Wii market (i've been playing games for over 25 years, and I can't recall a time when games were reduced so quickly after launch - but lets remember thats not a phenomenon exclusive to the Wii market (its interesting to note that its only Nintendo who can near-consistently maintain a healthy price for product)).

Either way, I suspect i'll get hold of a PS3 shortly, but I genuinely feel (at this point anyway) that i'll be wishing the title was on Wii with motion control completely nailed.

Oh god, the vitality sensor. The awesomeness of a device measuring your pulse. The excitement you'll get from seeing your own pulse on your television. It cannot possibly be described.

Build Vitality into a new style nunchuck and your on a fucking winner, I assure you. Imagine the Z trigger housed in the hole for Vitality - survival horror, action, puzzle, all reading your pulse and adjusting gameplay for maximum impact.

But, yes, I suspect Vitality won't be that advanced.

Lillster, I'll share a few thoughts.

Wii, for me, has reinvigorated gaming for me - just improved it no end. I love the movement, and the fluidity of it - its just fabulous. I'll be honest, i've been thinking of buying a PS3 for a while - I miss the epic productions - we've had nothing like REmake, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness on Wii; and i'm looking forward to Dead Space, INfamous filling that void... but the sedentary controls of the HD twins scares me - will I be bored? Back in the day, i'd play games slouched back in the sofa and I'm happy to say thats completely changed with Wii - i sit up, on the edge of the couch, truly involved, immersed and engrossed. As a side note, I doubt the PSarc and Natal will match Wii in the core space; neither seem suited to games like Madworld, RE4 and Pikmin). Nintendo really have nailed motion control in both the casual and core space; its a huge shame third parties didn't have the creativity and attitude to be brave and bold and great product out in year one - the lack of core product in the first 12 months has really hurt the core Wii market (i've been playing games for over 25 years, and I can't recall a time when games were reduced so quickly after launch - but lets remember thats not a phenomenon exclusive to the Wii market (its interesting to note that its only Nintendo who can near-consistently maintain a healthy price for product)).

Either way, I suspect i'll get hold of a PS3 shortly, but I genuinely feel (at this point anyway) that i'll be wishing the title was on Wii with motion control completely nailed.

Build Vitality into a new style nunchuck and your on a fucking winner, I assure you. Imagine the Z trigger housed in the hole for Vitality - survival horror, action, puzzle, all reading your pulse and adjusting gameplay for maximum impact.

But, yes, I suspect Vitality won't be that advanced.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

The main reason I dislike the Wii is because of the dated hardware.

To me it's like still being in the Gamecube era.

I'm a fan of Nintendo games, but not a fan of the Wii hardware.

Saying that, I will get my Wii fixed one day. :smile:

The main reason I dislike the Wii is because of the dated hardware.

I'm a fan of Nintendo games, but not a fan of the Wii hardware.

That's exactly how I feel. To me, this is the natural way to feel - to want a new generation console, because that's the only significant way series like Zelda and Metroid will be improved. You're not biased. Biased would be to not see the quality in any of the games.

Basically, Wii = GameCube + motion controls + widescreen + Flash memory + DVD + online features, which is not a bad thing, but it's not terribly exciting either. To me, processing power is the only thing that can define console generations, not controls, not HD (on its own), and so I consider the Wii as one of the more powerful last-gen consoles, like the Xbox. Again, not a bad thing.

I loved the GameCube, but if we were literally still playing on our GameCubes, I think I'd feel the same about the upcoming games, ie. looking forward to playing them, but not that excited. It's been, what, eight years, and that's a long time to be playing (in effect) the same machine. To put this in perspective, I haven't even got an HDTV yet, because Nintendo is pretty much the only techie-type thing I care about enough to want to see at its best (and Dragon Quest).

Which brings us back on topic, really - a new Wii with just an HD upscaling ability would be crazy, but a Wii 2 with all the processing power that implies would be great.

I'm too lazy to read up on the whole thread but if this is true I think it will be new handheld because apparently Nintendo has deal with nVidia for the Tegra 2 platform, which is designed for portable systems. Also not so long ago I read on kotaku that Mark Rein from Epic games said the Tegra 2 rivals a 4 year old PC in terms of gaming performance, meaning this platform is already in prototype stage.

Also at the moment the iPhone gains a lot of attention as a gaming device, which could be countered by bringing out a new system with better technology and graphics.

I'm too lazy to read up on the whole thread but if this is true I think it will be new handheld because apparently Nintendo has deal with nVidia for the Tegra 2 platform, which is designed for portable systems. Also not so long ago I read on kotaku that Mark Rein from Epic games said the Tegra 2 rivals a 4 year old PC in terms of gaming performance, meaning this platform is already in prototype stage.

Also at the moment the iPhone gains a lot of attention as a gaming device, which could be countered by bringing out a new system with better technology and graphics.

Not to say that that's wrong, but Nintendo has a history with ATI dating to the N64. I'm not sure what exactly is in the Handhelds other than ARM CPUs. I just don't see them jumping manufacturers though. Of course, I'd be ecstatic to see Tegra 2 (or even Tegra) in the next handheld. The Tegra platform is great.

I do think Mark Rein is needlessly hyping though, depending on how you want to look at it, 4 years ago give you the 8800(06) series or 7800/1900(05) series. Depending on which you look at that power surpasses or rivals the 360/PS3.

Then again Rein may mean 4 years ago 8400 which is considerably worse than 8800. Of course the funny thing is the Tegra can already do this. Which I'd ventrue is close to an 8400, probably a little worse but likely has a better framerate.

According to brightsideofnews nVidia won the contract and the Tegra is using an ARM processor, which would ensure backwards compatibility.

Now a good part of this article sounds like speculation but which the nVidia CEO saying "he expects to see Tegra capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years" it's at least very likely that nVidia has a contract with Sony or Nintendo.

WiiHD seems the most obvious, sinse there missing allot of multiplatform games like bioshock, assassins creed en bayonetta.

Making the Wii HD will not make it easier or cheaper to port games to the Wii. The Wii is fairly weak. The developers are currently forced to remake all their 3D-models and textures, plus that the Wii can't handle as advanced lighting or physics and I believe that the Wii is somewhat limited when it comes to AI.

I'm hoping it's the alternate system that Nintendo were planning to release if the Wii would turn out to be another Virtual Boy, only vastly upgraded.

Or maybe it's the Wiiphone.

Or why not the Gamecube Portable:

portable-gamecube.jpg

gamecube_advance_front2.jpg

oh if I see that damn mock up one more time lol.

Would you believe that thing was made well before the ds even came.

:

omg I wish it was :)

but in my opinion it's worse. I mean the gamecube was behind in the competition at the time for alot of things,but at least it improved on the n64's shortcomings.

The wii is so far behind in technology now It's getting funny.

I could forgive ALL of this IF the games were still on the level level as other consoles on a regular basis but it's not true.

for instance I love the ds and can ignore it's graphical limitations compared to the psp because the games ARE better and are more plentiful.

Besides super mario galaxy and mario kart wii NOTHING has blown me away on the wii yet. By now the gamecube had sunshine, wind waker metroid prime f-zero gx, eternal darkness.resident evil 4, resident evil remake. and im probably missing a few.

It happens though I didn't like the original xbox either but enjoyed the few games I bought for it.

The wii is just aimed at a different audience that isn't us anymore.

Am I the only one who would like a Wii HD?! I've spoken at length before about why I think it will work bad the right move so I won't bore you all again. But a Wii HD is the ONLY way of keeping the huge userbase they have with the Wii, keeping the Wii alive, but also competing with the HD consoles and getting more "core" games. It makes so much sense to me!! And hope this happens.

Am I the only one who would like a Wii HD?! I've spoken at length before about why I think it will work bad the right move so I won't bore you all again. But a Wii HD is the ONLY way of keeping the huge userbase they have with the Wii, keeping the Wii alive, but also competing with the HD consoles and getting more "core" games. It makes so much sense to me!! And hope this happens.

I think it would work but not on it's own. If they made other improvements to entice wii owners to buy it then It may work but the why bother at all? Why not just release a new and make it backward compatible?

I changed my mind over this a little whle back. NIntendo's main focus is casual gamers most of which certainly don't care about HD so it's not going to convincepeople to buy a new console just for it.

I suppose that's what i think metroid. A much more powerful Wii, with HD that matches PS3 on most things (to keep it cheap) - keep the same controls (motionplus integarted). At the same time Nintendo complely changes it's online infrastructure, not jst for this but for the Wii too, and they are both cross compatable (so Wii HD can be friends with Wii).

All the Wii games obviously work on the Wii HD. So basically, developers can develop games for the Wii as usual so the 70m + Wii owners can keep as it is; but some games (and ports) will be 'ONLY FOR Wii HD' - in the same way some games ONLY use the Balance Board or ONLY use the WM+. So it's not a new platform in the traditional sense; but a hardware upgrade that you don't HAVE to upgrade to, but if you do there'll be extras. This model has worked perfectly with the DS and I think it will work with the Wii.

It's funny how the game people use to demonstrate a portable GameCube or backwards compatibilty with Wii (I know these are old mock-ups) is always Wind Waker. I've never known another game to suit a console so well. It really was utter genius and the definitive GameCube game.

but in my opinion it's worse. I mean the gamecube was behind in the competition at the time for alot of things,but at least it improved on the n64's shortcomings.

It wasn't behind in anything that mattered though. Yes, it didn't have extensive online capability, but that never felt like anything Nintendo's games needed anyway. And yes, it didn't have DVD, but I loved those mini-discs. The GameCube felt like it was designed to run Nintendo games 100% to their maximum potential.

I remember booting mine up and thinking "Yes, massive draw distances! Fullscreen resolution!" Even the controller was better. You're right, it fixed the N64's shortcomings like a dream.

A console is really only as great as its games. So far, I've really enjoyed the Wii, probably more so than the Cube. I think the Wii has been a great evolution or step up from the Cube...at least to me anyway.

The library of games is a lot larger on the the Wii than it was on the Cube, but the category that I feel is getting overlooked is the Racing genre. There's not enough quality racers on the Wii, and there weren't nowhere near enough on the Cube. Probably the same situation with regards to fighters. Off the top of my head, I think there's more shooters available now than there were on the last console. Saying that, I don't think the N64 had that many quality fighters.

So, to me, providing we still get quality games, I'm happy. There's plenty of quality out there, the difference compared to the Cube and possibly the other consoles is that it is less "in your face." How many people had heard of Little King's Story, or Zack and Wiki, for example? These are games that only a certain audience know about. The World and his Wife know about Super Mario Galaxy.

It's funny how the game people use to demonstrate a portable GameCube or backwards compatibilty with Wii (I know these are old mock-ups) is always Wind Waker. I've never known another game to suit a console so well. It really was utter genius and the definitive GameCube game.

I like the Wind Waker, but I really am confused about its popularity. It doesn't deserve half of the recognition it receives, in my opinion. As for the definitive Gamecube game, Metroid Prime has to be up there. Made the jump from 3rd person to 1st in such style, and it really is a piece of art.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk
Automerged Doublepost

I feel I've had more entertainment from my Wii than my Gamecube, but certainly way less wow moments. Its just easier to get excited with better graphics, and even if the Wii has great games in terms of gameplay, Gamecube had both.

The only thing the Wii has over the Gamecube, is better sales.

Unfortunately, that's what matters.