NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon Black & White

Part Diglett, part Dugtrio. It's Digtrio!

50.51.png

Or maybe you'd prefer Odddude and Manpuff instead:

43.74.png56.39.png

For the record my comments too weren't about skepticism for this title though, I'm sure it'll be thoroughly enjoyable, but my posts were just about how I feel the series could potentially evolve further if it took more risks.

Ya I'm pretty much on the same boat. I still feel it should have been a 3ds game but whatever they ship has well sailed,no point dwelling on that again.

Implying Famitsu genuinely gave it that score without some 'motivation'.

After the last MGS game suspicious reviewing, my faith has gone for Famitsu, the last trusted reviewer of mine.

Either way, I'm sure it's good nonetheless. But the amount of perfect scores lately annoy me to no end.

Implying Famitsu genuinely gave it that score without some 'motivation'.

After the last MGS game suspicious reviewing, my faith has gone for Famitsu, the last trusted reviewer of mine.

Either way, I'm sure it's good nonetheless. But the amount of perfect scores lately annoy me to no end.

Famitsu has always been known to give high profile games favorable scores.

Famitsu has always been known to give high profile games favorable scores.

Pretty well known, but they used to save perfect scores for those that genuinely deserved it. Around HALF of all perfect scores were awarded in the last 2-3 years.

Here's some details from the review.

"Everything you see here, the Pokemon and the townscapes, is new. From the infrared and Wi-Fi support to the website running alongside the game, every type of online gameplay is possible, and there are new features that take advantage of all of it. There's only the smallest of connections with previous releases, and while seeing the series make such a clear cut from the past may be a shame in some people's minds, it allows all players to begin on the same starting line -- which is nothing short of thrilling." - Famitsu review

More information:

The fifth generation of the Pokemon series is the first to grab a coveted 40/40 from Japanese game uber-mag Famitsu.

Long-term Poke-fans will know that while the Pokemon series (that is, the "main" handheld games, not counting spinoffs) tends to rely on a tried-and-true formula, there are always significant differences between the generations. Mechanics are added and refined, and the entire system gets some heavy overhauls.

From the beginning, however, we were told that Pokemon Black & White versions would be trying more than a few new ideas. Not only would there be actual differences between the versions in story and layout, but the new games would have none of the old standard 'mons. The games would feature older protagonists, a female professor for the first time in the series' history, and were rumored to have a more involved storyline for once, too. Whereas Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh had all been based on regions in Japan, Pokemon Black & White's Isshu region is apparently the Pokemon world's equivalent of America.

It was an attempt to rekindle the wonder that many gamers felt back with Pokemon Red & Blue - before we realized that every single cave would be filled with goddamn Geodudes and Zubats.

It looks like the attempt has paid off: Major Japanese game magazine Famitsu awarded Pokemon Black & White Versions a coveted 40/40 score, meaning that four separate reviewers each gave it a 10/10. The reviewers praised the fresh approach to the series, enjoying the new graphics, - and yes, even enjoying all the new Pokemon. I guess not everyone hates that silly-looking otter, huh?

Black & White are the first games in the series to receive this score. Most recently, Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver had earned a 37/40. Earlier, Platinum took a 36/40, Diamond & Pearl took 35/40, and the third-generation games Ruby & Sapphire were only awarded 33 points out of 40.

Only 14 other games have been awarded perfect marks by the magazine, from the legendary Zelda: Ocarina of Time to the more recent Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

I have to admit, I wasn't sold on Black & White when they were first announced, but everything I've heard about the new games just made me more intrigued - and this is a fantastic seal on the deal. Next spring can't come soon enough.

Famitsu 40/40s List

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)

2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)

3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)

4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)

5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)

6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)

7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)

8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)

9. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)

10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)

11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)

12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)

13. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)

14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)

15. Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)

Bayonetta? o_o

And rightly so, awesome game is awesome.

Good for Pokemon Black and White anyway. One last big push for the DS and then we can say all our goodbyes to perhaps the greatest system ever made :weep:

Bayonetta was a great game. I will definitely buy this game now. I'm a bit sceptical about the perfect review from Famitsu but everything Serebii has managed to give us on info has made me really want to try a new pokemon game once again!

And rightly so, awesome game is awesome.

Tis true, one of the best button bashers I've seen. I should play it again sometime soon.

Really looking forward to it now. Fire starter all the way.

>Bayonetta

>Great game

What the fuck am I reading?

The truth :D Although I wouldn't have given it 40/40 like Famitsu, it was still a fantastic game.

Annnyway...

So it got 40/40 in Famitsu? nice, if anything it's at least a good indication of the games quality, sure perfect scores may have been handed out more frequently in recent years from the Japanese videogame 'bible' but if the game was merely average then it wouldn't be getting anywhere near those marks surely? so it's reassuring at least...

It would seem that Nintendo have finally given the series the much needed 'reboot' that fans have been crying out for ever since the third generation of games appeared.

First the Metroid series gets a reboot and now this, these are exciting times indeed. :)

Reboots are good. I look forward to Animal Crossing with guns, and K.K. Slider shooting some coke in the coffee store room. And Nook selling bitches instead of houses.

I'd love to see adult versions of family games. Pokemon could really do with one, with death and shit, basically an official Nuzlock game with blood and adult themes such as racism.

Serebii has some new info on his site. Amongst other things it confirms a pure Flying type legendary. :)

The fire starter looks the best, the other ones looks too "generic legendary". Well, the Water one at least. Considering the mid-evolution stuns.

If it is Fire/Fighting, I will be a bit peeved though.