N-Europe

Gaming profit/turnaround

nightwolf

In this assignment you should write a 3000-4000 word report on the aspect of your professional interests defined in the first assignment. In the report you describe the context in which the industry operates - how it is financed, the size of typical companies, what types of employment opportunities there are, the skills and experience needed, and some detail on the nature of the work. Remember that the topic connects a subject (3D Modelling, Digital Compositing) with a context (TV Advertising, Computer Games).

A typical structure for the report is as follows (but feel free to move away from this structure as long as you meet the general objectives). Each section could be 500-800 words.

This is what we were told, then they went on to mention 5 large sections we should write.

1. introduction into what we want to talk about. 3d modelling for me.

2. Talk about the financial side, for example how would I be paid as a 3d modeller for EA etc.

3. The types of companies and employment - this is related to a list of companies I wrote for my last assignment (40 companies) we needed about 50, with large paragrpahs for it, which was ridiculous and useless.

4. the skills and experince required for jobs. (for example use of maya, 3ds max)

5. conclusion

Its abit stupid really, I already know what I need for a job I don't need to write 4000words to tell a film producer what happens in the industry. Infact thats exactly what it is, FOR HIM and not me. So I better get a good mark.

Yeah, what aimless said -- it seems you're asking the wrong questions in the OP.

In the report you describe the context in which the industry operates VIDEO GAMES

- how they are financed,

-the size of typical companies,

-what types of employment opportunities there are,

-the skills and experience needed,

-and some detail on the nature of the work.

You don't need to worry about the sales side of things as that's more to do with profit after the fact rather than how they actually finance the game in the first place.

I'm sure most games are given a budget... That's all I can say really! More info is in boox.

Rare (remember them) may be able to give you some answers. Also I think we've got a rockstar floating about. But it may also be worth keeping in mind that certain studios are funded to make certain games, and can also be kept afloat by parent companies.

At the same time a game can make or break a company. Factor 5, Free radical design.

Anyway more inline with your questions, you would be paid a salary for the most part like anyone else, unless you are on working terms where you are paid for your time, but that mainly applies to consultants and they don't do any work anyway.

RE part 4. Might need to talk about game engines, as a lot of companies implement them to cut down on development times. And obviously there are stages from concept art to various levels of rendering, to final production model. Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

But its up to you if it fits or not. Also could talk about licensing fees which relates to how the industry works, and financial side of point 2. Will likely add a branch to Will's model, but no need to pay license fees for games released on the PC.

Specifically why wouldn't I remember rare of all companies? :p

For the most part I think I've gotten down what people have been saying, so hopefully it'll do! I don't really want to start contacting lots of companies given its a 3000-4000word count and I'm already at over 2000 without my company list I did for my previous assignment (which was about 1000words).

Thanks guys, i think that helps tweak it though! :grin:

Rare... rings a bell... when was the last time they made a good game again?

*cuddles blast corps*

Haha.

Rare are pretty awesome, shame I wouldn't even begin thinking about getting an internship with them..stupidly I mentioned it on facebook a while back and half my class jumped on the bandwagon. :hmm:

Haha.

Rare are pretty awesome, shame I wouldn't even begin thinking about getting an internship with them..stupidly I mentioned it on facebook a while back and half my class jumped on the bandwagon. :hmm:

I applied to them on New Year's Eve, the deadline, and... yeeeeeah, I'm not going to get anything back from them.

It's the same internship they give to graduates - in fact it's aimed at graduates, not sandwich year scum.

Valve self publish to. Try some other UK devs like Rockstar North (Leeds) they might have a bit of sympathy for a Sheff student :)

Valve only handles their Steam distribution, EA handles all of Valves retail products.

About a year ago, Game Informer did a large article on the relationship between developers and publishers and how the money flows between them. I don't have the issue anymore though and certainly can't remember specifics or what issue, but they may have it online somewhere...I do remember that they spoke with companies inside the industry.

I applied to them on New Year's Eve, the deadline, and... yeeeeeah, I'm not going to get anything back from them.

It's the same internship they give to graduates - in fact it's aimed at graduates, not sandwich year scum.

I know, I'm trying to keep unwrap who I'm applying to nowadays, I keep mentioning working for blizzard and one friend stated they wanted to apply but they are too far away - being in america..

I then had to mention they have places in france AND ireland..which worried me if she was going to apply..

Haha.

you will be gutted if one of them gets the job instead.

They most likely will, unfortunetly some people are getting good marks without knowing they software they are using, but of course this goes unchecked by my tutors..

sigh. :sad:

thats a bit shit! I've had similar things in the past happen when I did IT at college is always the way!

thats a bit shit! I've had similar things in the past happen when I did IT at college is always the way!

It is, I was sort of borderline crying when I got my marks for my animation when certain people got very high marks (think 80+) when they tell is its near industry standard to get marks that high..

given how much time I spend on these things I was gutted to find out I got 59% and then they lost my feedback sheet which I've still not been given..

its total bull and I find I'm not the only one with issues and uni.

edit: I suppose in a way karma will come back and bite these people who don't actually know the programs and get too much help, they'll continually be unable to perform in their job and will get the sack. Hopefully.

I hear yahs. I was pretty "bright" when it came to programming, my classmates always asked me to do it for them, or copied the teachers "sample" and amended. Basically means you need little programming knowledge at all.

It sad but it seems that education is going that way, and people are leaving college or uni, or even further without much of a clue of how to actually program anything at all.

Its little wonder employers are so unlikely to want to take on graduates (even though there are a some very talented people). I know graduates get taken on in IT companies here (n.ireland) but they generally get base pay - around 15-17k. It's all about experience and proving your worth