N-Europe

Marketing and adverts etc

ipaul

Might need to be Scottish to understand it.

I'm scottish, and think they're bizzarely mediocre at best. But then I hate hearing the scottish accent on adverts. Unless it's a highland accent.

Also I have no opinion on football.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a soft drink, kind of the Scottish equivalent of Tizer. Though while we're on the subject... what the fuck is Tizer!

Like Tizer it's bright orange... though I don't think either taste of orange.

It's an orange coloured fizzy drink which doesn't taste of anything you'll have had before. Tizer is made by the same company, AG Barr, coincidently.

Irn Bru does taste a bit strange. Nice, but I never have it out of choice, really. You can feel the fizz rotting your teeth as you drink it.

I never understood the naming of it...is it meant to be some sort of version of a scottish accent?

It is thought that the name 'Irn-Bru' originated with the re-building of Glasgow Central Station in 1901. When workers from the William Beardmore and Company Steel Works in Glasgow were dying from the large amounts of beer drunk to quench their thirst from the heat of the steel works, an alternative was sought. A local soft drinks manufacturer, A.G. Barr, approached the steel works and eventually a contract was created to provide the workers with this drink. This unnamed drink later went on to be known as "Iron Brew" because of its connections to the steel (and iron) works.

Irn-Bru's advertising slogans used to be "Scotland's other National Drink", referring to whisky, and "Made in Scotland from girders", though the closest one can come to substantiating this claim is the 0.002% ammonium ferric citrate listed in the ingredients.

Wiki knows all.

Irn Bru does taste a bit strange. Nice, but I never have it out of choice, really. You can feel the fizz rotting your teeth as you drink it.

I never understood the naming of it...is it meant to be some sort of version of a scottish accent?

They aren't allowed to have 'Brew' in the name which ir originally was so they decided to change the name to Bru and also take a letter out of 'Iron' too.