Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Prediction.

ipaul

What do people predict will happen in 2010?

Here are mine:

David Cameron will become the PM, with a majority of about 43 (outlandish, I know)

The elimination of newspapers due to other media will have become an inescapable certainty, not just a possibility.

The PS3 will be the best console ever by the end of the year. Fo sho'

The Democrats will lose the mid term elections and the House.

Republicans will outdo themselves as they Palin becomes a clear front runner for presidency.

The Daily Express will continue to report on Diana's death like it is still news.

Blu Ray will be mainstream.

5 million more 360s will break.

The afghanistan situation will not be resolved.

Rez will not make or say anything funny.

Some of them have just been decided on a bit of a whim, but you get the idea.

ReZ has already been funny.

Just don't get me to find anything to back up that claim.

Iran will have a new leader; either due to more protests and civil unrest or because of intervention.

David Cameron will become MP and the Tories will argue about the NHS and the EU for 4/5 years.

Newspapers will still hang in there; but Mad Murdoch will be proved wrong.

Google will continue to dominate the tech world.

The BNP will (continue to) lose support but remain a talking point.

Web 2.0 and convergence devices will continue to make sure you have nothing private.

Unless something radical happens I don't think the Democrats will suffer any huge defeats at mid-term.

The Republicans will put Palin forward as a candidate but won't make it through invisible-primaries/primaries due to her lack of any knowledge.

Spotfiy will either be bought out or collapse.

Twitter will have advertising.

David Cameron will become the PM, with a majority of about 43 (outlandish, I know)

This looks like a sad inevitability. Labour should never have had a second landslide: my belief is that they had some brilliant ideas, but the second unquestionable majority they were given also gave them the belief that they were invincible and above reproach.

The elimination of newspapers due to other media will have become an inescapable certainty, not just a possibility.

I think that that print is dying a death, but there will always be those who would rather read something physical that they can grasp rather than something digital. Internet an computer startup times are still not instantaneous, while running "Pickupnewspaperandsitinfavouritechair.exe can be don in the time it takes to switch on the PC.

You're a funny guy.

Possibly. Whoever has control will have it by a very slim majority.

Republicans will outdo themselves as they Palin becomes a clear front runner for presidency.

It's unlikely as the Americans are not so stupid to only leave a gap of four years between each insane person they elect.

The Daily Express will continue to report on Diana's death like it is still news.

Pff. Like the Daily Express reporting on Diana's death is news, is news.

I hate that Sony has won this war, they don't deserve any of the success that they have.

This is why I don't believe in psychics and mediums. Everyone knows this.

Define "resolved"? Will there be a government for the ungovernable? Will Islamic militants stop suicide bombing their own people? Will the warlords stop corrupting youth in order to exploit them? Will women be free and equal to their male counterparts?

Show me a primarily Islamic country where ALL of that is true, please. Then all of you stop whinging.

ReZ is funny. What's with all the ReZ bashing of late? Not every single word he types is comedy gold, but nor is anything anyone else does.

Well Blu-Ray isn't just Sony...

But I do think that this will be the PS3's year actually.

Things have fallen into place for Sony.

It took fucking long enough mind you...

Sony have done some absolutely drastic restructuring which was long overdue. The company is ever so slowly structuring itself vertically. I agree that for the games division things have fallen into place but we haven't seen anything from the rest of the company yet.

They PS3 deserves success now. It's become a stonking great machine. They unquestionably have the best 1st and 2nd party support of any of the three - I never thought I'd say that.

I think this year sales will overtake the 360's. Probably with another price drop near years end.

Stuff

Ok, Rez has made me chuckle sometimes, but he says so many unfunny things as well. Or at least things that he knows only he will get/find funny.

When I say resolved, I mean our presence there will still be. No one will have any new foolproof strategies, or be sure how long we should stay. I didn't mean Afghanistan will continue to be the only country on earth with major problems.

I wasn't saying that the style of the Express's reporting remaining the same was newsworthy, I was simply pointing it out. Same with the 360 thing.

The Americans elected George W H Bush straight after Ronald Regan. :heh:

What trouble do you have with the PS3 predicition? Or do you think it is the current state of things, rather than something to be exclusive to 2010 :p

EDIT - Quite agree on the Labour thing, though I wish they had never chosen Tony Blair as leader.

Sony have done some absolutely drastic restructuring which was long overdue. The company is ever so slowly structuring itself vertically. I agree that for the games division things have fallen into place but we haven't seen anything from the rest of the company yet..

Oh I meant Sony games divisions when talking about Sony.

I definitely don't know enough about the rest of the company to be honest.

Apart from they lost half a billion last year and then upped prices in the UK?

Oh I meant Sony games divisions when talking about Sony.

I definitely don't know enough about the rest of the company to be honest.

Apart from they lost half a billion last year and then upped prices in the UK?

I think a few companies upped their prices this year to compensate for the fact the pound is now worth much less than it was. Apple and the mac mini spring to mind. (Though that might have been the end of 2008, not sure)

Well I know a lot of companies needed to change UK prices for that factor, but I remember Sony doing it for a reason other than this...

Maybe?

I dunno.

Also, when ReZ sleeps I never laugh.

Although that just made me laugh.

For once, it's not really that obscure (or aimed at Chair). You're just the poorer for not recognising it.

high_horse.jpg

I'm not too sure why I'm posting that though, I anticipate you know you're on it and you quite like it up there :heh:

~Is NE being slow for anyone else?~

What do people predict will happen in 2010?

Here are mine:

Some of them have just been decided on a bit of a whim, but you get the idea.

Whats the general feeling of David Cameron? Granted I don't know much about politics, but when I've heard him, he's piqued my interest.

PS3 is already the best console. I have however heard a rumour that theres going to be a Wii game released by Nintendo this year, but...well personally I'll believe it when I see it.

And some would argue I've already been funny. :)

ReZ has already been funny.

Awww yeaaaaah.

ReZ is funny. What's with all the ReZ bashing of late? Not every single word he types is comedy gold, but nor is anything anyone else does.

Its just because I am unfunny so often. It overshadows my amazingness. The Comedy Rainbow hate is quite funny though. Goafer and Wes have both made memorable quotes dear to my heart.

I love how theres so many people ripping into you for it, and you just keep doing it.

I don't get what the problem is.

It's not a well rehearsed piece of comedy.

It's just what it is.

Ok, Rez has made me chuckle sometimes, but he says so many unfunny things as well. Or at least things that he knows only he will get/find funny.

I hope at least one person gets or finds funny and attempt at comedy I say. :p

RE: Election

roslin.jpg

I think a new NE rule should be in place, where when you post obscure pictures for reference, you have to include alt text for others not in the know.

For once, it's not really that obscure (or aimed at Chair). You're just the poorer for not recognising it.

This annoys me, but only because its a potential spoiler. Now whenever I start watching it, when this religion thing or book whatever makes sense to me, I'll know that that chick does something conforming to it at some point. Etc. But yeah. No spoilers tbf. (Oh and don't reply to this explaining it, because it will make it even worse. Just ignore the picture entirely and if commenting only comment on my general point)

-----------

In 2010, I think Michael Jackson will die. RIP.

Edited by ReZourceman

re: BSG picture.

firstly, you should all watch it you daft bastards.

secondly, it's not really a spoiler. I'm pretty sure that's taken from the first....half hour, maybe an hour in to the mini series. It's on the same spoiler level as finding out that Luke Skywalker is a farmer.

not bad predictions in the OP, but I disagree on the Democrats loosing the house, on the grounds that the Republicans are so incredibly unpopular now.

I'd also take issue with the death of print news. It's probably coming, but not in 2010. We'll see the collapse of the remaining local papers first, which are likely to be replaced by 'micro news' efforts online and such, but the large media groups like The Guardian aren't going anywhere fast. Interesting tidbit though: The current editor of The Guardian said, five years ago when the paper bought a new set of presses, that they would be the last set the paper ever buys. The presses have a twenty year life span. Make of that what you will.

as for the ps3...do want. Should be a good year for the machine.