Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

whats so wrong about Rage being number 1? is it the naughty language thats putting you off?

I don't want them being Christmas Number 1. Clue being in the word Christmas and before anyone says anything, I don't want X Factor to be number 1 either.

Don't get me wrong, I like both songs but they're not that good to be number 1 in my opinion. Anyway, after RATM get to number 1 this year, what's going to be used next year because, surely enough, X Factor could be number 1...again...

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how throughout this week, Joe McElderry has remained humble, honest and down to earth about the whole thing whereas all the judges have thrown strops! He could teach them a lesson in maturity.

I think you're missing the point. It's a protest. What better way to protest than with a song with the line "fuck you I won't do what you tell me"*? If they had chosen a christmas song like Shakin Stevens or something then it would never in a million years make as much media impact.

*Actually they could have used Napalm Death.

Protest against what? No one is making anyone do anything, If you don't like the show don't watch it. If you don't like the winner don't buy his single. Were the ones who chose him! This is just another hippy protesting against something that is big and popular to make themselves look cool.

Edited by Caris

Protest against what? No one is making anyone do anything, If you don't like the show don't watch it. If you don't like the winner don't buy his single. Were the ones who chose him! This is just another hippy protesting against something that is big and popular to make themselves look cool.

This makes SO much sense to me. If you don't like it, don't watch or listen or buy it. No-one's putting a gun to your head and telling you to watch/listen to/buy it. If you like it, then watch/listen to/buy it.

Simples *squeeks* :p

Pixie Lott then, I don't care. But there's been a lot of quality acts appear on X Factor so that makes your last post invalid.

no it's valid. Certain quality acts have appeared on xfactor. A handful mind you.

but you asked if people hate the x factor why don't they buy george's song... because he sang it on the x factor...

i get your main point though. I'm not the biggest fan of this song. it's only picked because it's

the most recognisable ratm song. There are better ratm songs and even angrier ones. I suppose it wouln't have worked as well.

I'm in it for the fun aspect, Even if you don't agree with it don't take it so seriously. It makes the chart fun to keep an eye on.. the music industry has been lacking excitement for some time.

by the way christmas number 1s havent been christmassy for a very long time... even the darkness lost out to mad world at the time. ratm or not ratm.

I don't want them being Christmas Number 1. Clue being in the word Christmas and before anyone says anything, I don't want X Factor to be number 1 either.

Don't get me wrong, I like both songs but they're not that good to be number 1 in my opinion. Anyway, after RATM get to number 1 this year, what's going to be used next year because, surely enough, X Factor could be number 1...again...

well it's a lesson really. It's proof x factor can be stopped. most artists have been chicken shit to release their main stuff on fear of being raped by x factor. Hopefully this will loosen the fear a little bit.

well it's a lesson really. It's proof x factor can be stopped. most artists have been chicken shit to release their main stuff on fear of being raped by x factor. Hopefully this will loosen the fear a little bit.

This makes sense. This makes better sense than what most people who are buying RATM are buying it for tbh.

Sir Paul McCartney Joins In

Sir Paul McCartney has thrown his weight behind the campaign to land Rage Against The Machine the Christmas number one.

The former Beatle may have appeared on The X Factor final, but he says the metal act should claim the prize as "it would prove a point".

"I like the idea," Sir Paul told Sky News. "Everyone expects Joe to do it, and if he goes to number one then good luck to him.

"He's just some kid with a career ahead. I've got nothing against that, but it would be kind of funny if Rage Against The Machine got it because it would prove a point."

I'm not taking this entirely seriously as some people

but Music is a bit reflection on how we see ourselves. When we look back at the 80's a lot of people are like " I can't believe they dressed like that etc" Music is a part of us. Plus do you really want to be listening to that shit every year for the rest of your life?

X factor isn't just a innocent television show. It's created to spawn a christmas number 1 and its worked for years and its made everything boring.

Xfactor believe they ARE the music industry and it's really frustrating for a lot of bands who have worked for years like muse,prodigy and rage who are generally talented just to have some kid with a good voice outsell them year after year.

I believe programs like xfactor really hurt the music industry. They do everything form a rulebook of what works and what doesnt. It's stopping it from evolving. It can't last forever and at least its better than the fucking big brother era.

Ordered an Mp3 off Play, but it's doing what it did last time, saying it's not available. It'll e-mail later/tomorrow morning to let me download it IIRC.

--

The whole arguement is getting very tired. Ignoring all the social commentary and whatever, at it's core, this campaign is trying to fight boredom and monotony. Music should be neither of things. This is just trying to shake things up a bit. It's a chart position, it's not a big deal. So no need it get worked up over it (on either side). But it sends a powerful message that would be nice to see...that the public can amass together to voice their boredom with churned out formulaic moneymakers.

I'm not taking this entirely seriously as some people

but Music is a bit reflection on how we see ourselves. When we look back at the 80's a lot of people are like " I can't believe they dressed like that etc" Music is a part of us. Plus do you really want to be listening to that shit every year for the rest of your life?

X factor isn't just a innocent television show. It's created to spawn a christmas number 1 and its worked for years and its made everything boring.

Xfactor believe they ARE the music industry and it's really frustrating for a lot of bands who have worked for years like muse,prodigy and rage who are generally talented just to have some kid with a good voice outsell them year after year.

I believe programs like xfactor really hurt the music industry. They do everything form a rulebook of what works and what doesnt. It's stopping it from evolving. It can't last forever and at least its better than the fucking big brother era.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout! :D

What MCJ has just said should be precisely the reason why people should be doing this and not to get one over Simon Cowell. I agree completely with everything MCJ has said, music is a part of us. Even if we don't listen to it, one way or another, it'll find you.

There are more talented people out there who have struggled because of the X Factor but don't forget, and I'm not sticking up for the show but, the X Factor did make some ordinary person's dream of being somebody a reality (as well as putting money in Simon's pocket).

MCJ's reason should be the reason to do this, not to get one over Simon.

okay, so joe. he seemed like a decent person, wished Rage the best of luck, fair play.

and then..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2778291/X-Factor-star-blasts-rival-Rages-riffage.html

what a fuckin asshole

I'm sorry but I'm missing the point. Why is he an asshole just because he don't like the track?

Some people don't like hearing swearing all the time on songs, some people don't care. Some people don't like RATM's voice, some do.

When you called him an asshole, I thought it might have been because he said something horrid about them. All he said was he hated the track, he never said he hated THEM.

So he's being a bit petty and slating the competitor. A simple comparison.

XFactor

Currently most popular show of the most popular TV genre

Massive advertising budget

Physical copies to aid "Gift purchases"

Rage

Not exactly mainstream is it?

No advertising budget, only a Facebook group

Downloads only

And Rage are still winning? If Rage is "just shouting", "dreadful" and "nought out of ten", what does that make his song?

I'm not that fussed, but if he's going to be petty, may as well offer a counterpoint. People in glass houses and all that.