Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Recommended Posts

Seems like one of my favourite Star Wars game, Star Wars: Republic Commando, might be getting ported to Switch soon (and potentially other consoles too?).

Been meaning to replay Republic Commando for a while now, so a port to modern consoles would be a great excuse to go back :p Aspyr, too, who did the KOTOR mobile ports (and the recent Jedi Knight and Episode I: Racer ports). Wonder if we could get those and maybe the original Battlefront games at some point too...I know they're available on Xbox through backwards compatibility, but still, think a bunch of ports would be great. Let a guy dream. 

Wonder if this means a Partner Showcase is coming up? I have doubts over a general Nintendo Direct, just given how long it's at this point, but with us likely getting a Pokémon Direct at the end of the month for the 25th anniversary, and potentially something for Zelda's 35th, seems like this month could be about to get a bit busier. 

(which means I've got my hopes up too high and we'll end up with nothing :p)

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Julius said:

Seems like one of my Star Wars: Republic Commando might be getting ported to Switch soon (and potentially other consoles too?).

Been meaning to replay Republic Commando for a while now, so a port to modern consoles would be a great excuse to go back :p Aspyr, too, who did the KOTOR mobile ports (and the recent Jedi Knight and Episode I: Racer ports). Wonder if we could get those and maybe the original Battlefront games at some point too...I know they're available on Xbox through backwards compatibility, but still, think a bunch of ports would be great. Let a guy dream. 

Wonder if this means a Partner Showcase is coming up? I have doubts over a general Nintendo Direct, just given how long it's at this point, but with us likely getting a Pokémon Direct at the end of the month for the 25th anniversary, and potentially something for Zelda's 35th, seems like this month could be about to get a bit busier. 

(which means I've got my hopes up too high and we'll end up with nothing :p)

I loved Republic Commando when I played it on the original Xbox all those years ago. I have fond memories of it and wonder if the game will hold up. Playing Jedi Knight on the PS4 last year was a rough experience and my worry is that it will also be the case with this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And bam! There it is!

I’ll abstain from making the official thread until it is officially announced, but yes.  This was part of the Capcom Ransomware leak some months back.

Your dreams are coming true! Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1&2 fully localised into English on Switch, in one package! :bouncy:
 

Told you all it’d happen one day! Now we just need AAI2 and Earthbound Endings and then I’m 5/5 @Glen-i ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Told you all it’d happen one day! Now we just need AAI2 and Earthbound Endings and then I’m 5/5 @Glen-i ;) 

Feels like if that was happening it would've happened before Grand Ace Attorney really...

And you're never getting Earthbound Endings, give it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When do pre-order bonuses usually get announced? I'll be buying Snap 2 and got £50 in Amazon vouchers so I'll probably go there but no rush and I thought I'd hold out to see if anywhere offers any interesting bonuses. Although I probably won't like any of them because I'm not a fan of plastic tat but curious to see what happens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

When do pre-order bonuses usually get announced? I'll be buying Snap 2 and got £50 in Amazon vouchers so I'll probably go there but no rush and I thought I'd hold out to see if anywhere offers any interesting bonuses. Although I probably won't like any of them because I'm not a fan of plastic tat but curious to see what happens! 

Pokémon Day (Feb 27th) is the most likely day that pre-orders will start (and bonuses made known) I reckon.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense. I asked in here because it's a more general question about timings but in this particular case that does make sense cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting comments from Furakawa in a new Nikkei interview; regarding Switch’s successor and where the current Switch stands in its lifecycle (potentially hinting at a Switch Pro for the current model?)
 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendos-president-says-switchs-successor-will-need-to-offer-a-new-experience/
 

Quote

Speaking in a Nikkei interview (paywall), Shuntaro Furukawa said that any successor to the Nintendo Switch must be able to offer consumers “new forms of entertainment”.

Quote

“We always say that we are in the middle of the Switch’s lifecycle, and since one piece of hardware can be used to play both stationary and portable games, we can offer a wide variety of software for this purpose,” Furukawa said. “The life cycle can still be extended.”

Quote

“We have experienced many times in the past when our business took a nosedive,” he said. “That is why I, as well as others in the company, do not believe that this situation will last for long. Rather, I believe that every year is a critical time. If we don’t make fresh and surprising proposals to new customers, we will always be forgotten.”

This isn’t the first time they’ve hinted at the Switch successor having a crazy new control method... They last hinted at this in one of their shareholder meetings back in 2019...
 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/nintendo-switch-2-controller-games-release-date-specs-features-a8996646.html

 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Some interesting comments from Furakawa in a new Nikkei interview; regarding Switch’s successor and where the current Switch stands in its lifecycle (potentially hinting at a Switch Pro for the current model?)
 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendos-president-says-switchs-successor-will-need-to-offer-a-new-experience/
 

This isn’t the first time they’ve hinted at the Switch successor having a crazy new control method... They last hinted at this in one of their shareholder meetings back in 2019...
 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/nintendo-switch-2-controller-games-release-date-specs-features-a8996646.html

 

Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems. Family of systems.

An OG and a lite does not a family make. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple insiders saying that the lack of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in yesterday's Direct is nothing to worry about, as they're still planned to be brought over to the Switch later in the year. 

I'm still a little surprised they seem to be releasing Skyward Sword first of those three, but assuming that there's truth to this, do we think they will be bundled together, or sold at full price separately? 

Personally I had been hoping for a bundle, but these did get a lot more work than the versions of the games included in 3D All-Stars, so I'm probably leaning towards them being sold separately at full price. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Julius said:

do we think they will be bundled together,

Absolutely not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aonuma made a point of saying Skyward Sword the game before Breath of the Wild, so if they are porting TP and WW then they'll have to release before July if they are going for that. Unless BotW2 is closer than we think (which I don't think is the case).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ike said:

Aonuma made a point of saying Skyward Sword the game before Breath of the Wild, so if they are porting TP and WW then they'll have to release before July if they are going for that. Unless BotW2 is closer than we think (which I don't think is the case).

You may have misinterpreted. He did not say Skyward Sword HD (2021) would be the last before BotW2 (TBD). He said Skyward Sword (2011) was the last 3D Zelda before Breath of the Wild (2017).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing some browsing on Resetera and it looks like the new Square RPG has 1440p support (via some datamining of its code), which goes beyond what we know the current Switch can do.

A couple of reliable people there, including NateDrake and some more technical minded people, are confident that the new console will be around the PS4's level in base graphical power but with a much more modern GPU that uses DLSS. The CPU is apparently much stronger than what the PS4 had too. Essentially, it's a full on generational leap, but the OG Switch will continue to see cross gen support. Interestingly, Mario Kart 9, Splatoon 3, BOTW2 and a new Mario game (to coincide with the movie) will all come out in the first year of the new console. Essentially, the end of 2021-first half of 2022 will be a repeat of 2017 software wise.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I've been doing some browsing on Resetera and it looks like the new Square RPG has 1440p support (via some datamining of its code), which goes beyond what we know the current Switch can do.

A couple of reliable people there, including NateDrake and some more technical minded people, are confident that the new console will be around the PS4's level in base graphical power but with a much more modern GPU that uses DLSS. The CPU is apparently much stronger than what the PS4 had too. Essentially, it's a full on generational leap, but the OG Switch will continue to see cross gen support. Interestingly, Mario Kart 9, Splatoon 3, BOTW2 and a new Mario game (to coincide with the movie) will all come out in the first year of the new console. Essentially, the end of 2021-first half of 2022 will be a repeat of 2017 software wise.

Octopath Traveler came out on PC as well, and it supports a max of 3440x1440p on that. So it can also be a case of already preparing for a port to PC of Triangle Strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I've been doing some browsing on Resetera and it looks like the new Square RPG has 1440p support (via some datamining of its code), which goes beyond what we know the current Switch can do.

A couple of reliable people there, including NateDrake and some more technical minded people, are confident that the new console will be around the PS4's level in base graphical power but with a much more modern GPU that uses DLSS. The CPU is apparently much stronger than what the PS4 had too. Essentially, it's a full on generational leap, but the OG Switch will continue to see cross gen support.

Interesting stuff! Did Octopath also end up on PC or am I misremembering? Imagine that could also be a reason why. 

If this does end up being the case, I imagine we might end up with a year or two to transition from cross-gen development to seeing truly exclusive games for the next console, like we're seeing to an extent with some of PlayStation's bigger titles for the PS4 and PS5, and it will definitely make things easier for their third party relationships. In particular, I can't help but think of Dragon Quest XII and how the PS5 isn't doing so hot in Japan; for that game, I think targeting PS4 and Switch is a given, but this could make the process of releasing XII for a Switch Pro a much easier thing for them if it is at least on par with the PS4. Fingers crossed that could end up meaning it'll be landing day and date for both platforms when it does eventually arrive. 

Either way, it would definitely make the lines between console generations for Nintendo consoles murkier, if they weren't already before, but it makes the transition a much easier one for customers to make. 

Quote

Interestingly, Mario Kart 9, Splatoon 3, BOTW2 and a new Mario game (to coincide with the movie) will all come out in the first year of the new console. Essentially, the end of 2021-first half of 2022 will be a repeat of 2017 software wise.

Yeah, given how Aonuma said that they're aiming to share more about BotW2 later this year in Wednesday's Direct, I do think the Pro and BotW2 are pretty much going to be joined at the hip and have to launch together: I think they're still aiming for BotW2 to release this year, probably in November, but are likely in a position where it could slip into 2022 (COVID and any other potential development issues along the way), and the next few months will be crucial to figuring that out for them. If we get Zelda this year, then drop both in November and have it be their Christmas tentpole to promote the new system. 

I think the only reason to doubt that is the fact that Pokémon main series titles have all released in mid-November since the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in 2014 (X and Y were in October when they released in 2013); that being said, it's tough to see them not being Diamond and Pearl remakes, and given that it's the original pair's 15th Anniversary this year in September for their Japanese release, maybe they'll make an exception and bump Pokémon up to the end of September (so you get Pokémon capping off one quarter and both it and Zelda headlining the next) to make room for the Pro and Zelda in November. I suppose they could swap that and have Zelda and the Pro in September to leave Pokémon for November, but I personally think they're ready to pivot both Zelda and a potential Pro to March 2022 if anything, and are probably picking between that and a November slot just because they aren't ready to share it with is just yet. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for the launch of a potential Pro, but either way, you're right, everything seems very nicely lined up for them to take advantage of that system and push the "Play it best on the new Nintendo Switch Pro/2/Series Y with Knuckles and Dante" line with a strong lineup of first party games. Here's hoping, anyways! 

Edited by Julius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

I've been doing some browsing on Resetera 

God bless you, brave soul :bowdown:

Well, we know Splatoon 3 exists now. Metroid is also definitely going to be 2022 or later. Zelda, like you say, end of this year / early next. EAD has been pretty quiet since 2017, so I do think a blow out of 2017 proportions is more than feasible. Monolith are likely well down the road with their next project too. As for MK9 and a new Mario, I think both are well within reason and are guaranteed sellers, even more so in support of new hardware. Triangle Whaddyamacallit is an interesting one as Octopath did support higher res on the PC as Dennis said, but I can't imagine that being accessible in the Switch version of the game. So if the data miners have found this in the Switch version's demo, that either points to the fact it's going to be available on Switch, or that they are simply laying the groundwork for a future PC / next gen port. I wouldn't take it as red quite yet.

As for the console itself, DLSS seems logical as we've discussed before. CPU being as powerful as PS4 is a tough one, but given that launched 9 years ago, I would say it is also within the realms of possibility if $299 with profit is the goal. 

Do we start to dream already? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

God bless you, brave soul :bowdown:

Well, we know Splatoon 3 exists now. Metroid is also definitely going to be 2022 or later. Zelda, like you say, end of this year / early next. EAD has been pretty quiet since 2017, so I do think a blow out of 2017 proportions is more than feasible. Monolith are likely well down the road with their next project too. As for MK9 and a new Mario, I think both are well within reason and are guaranteed sellers, even more so in support of new hardware. Triangle Whaddyamacallit is an interesting one as Octopath did support higher res on the PC as Dennis said, but I can't imagine that being accessible in the Switch version of the game. So if the data miners have found this in the Switch version's demo, that either points to the fact it's going to be available on Switch, or that they are simply laying the groundwork for a future PC / next gen port. I wouldn't take it as red quite yet.

As for the console itself, DLSS seems logical as we've discussed before. CPU being as powerful as PS4 is a tough one, but given that launched 9 years ago, I would say it is also within the realms of possibility if $299 with profit is the goal. 

Do we start to dream already? 

 

I actually think it's going to be very easy for them to out-do the PS4 Pro / XBO X CPU's, not just the base models. The jaguar CPU's used in last gen consoles was bad at the time; I wouldn't be surprised if ports of games like Red Dead 2 could easily do 60 FPS x 4K (using DLSS).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tech is absolutely there if Nintendo want to put out a hybrid system in 2023 that can trade blows with an Xbox Series S (and even outperform it in some areas; especially Raytracing).

The problem is that Nintendo needs to want it; and they need to leave NVidia’s engineers alone & just let them make the Switch 2’s SOC without meddling.  That is, unfortunately, a BIG if.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh. 

My bank card expired so I had a new one sent to me over a month ago, but haven't updated the details on my Switch yet. Just gone on to buy a game from eShop and clicked to purchase and realised the card was my old one. 

So I input my new details and hit Purchase. Gets an error message saying "this card cannot be used". So I presumed I'd typed the details in incorrectly. Did it again, same thing. 

So thought, ok I'll update them in the account  section rather than whilst trying to buy something. Same issue. 

Googled it and people who have swapped regions on their console to buy from another countries eshop have had this problem. But mine has always been set to Europe. I've never bought elsewhere. 

So I thought right I'll just link my PayPal account. Clicks to do so, the console says an email will be sent to my account. That was an hour ago. I've clicked three times now and had no email. Nothing in junk mail. 

Why is this so fucking painful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Sigh. 

My bank card expired so I had a new one sent to me over a month ago, but haven't updated the details on my Switch yet. Just gone on to buy a game from eShop and clicked to purchase and realised the card was my old one. 

So I input my new details and hit Purchase. Gets an error message saying "this card cannot be used". So I presumed I'd typed the details in incorrectly. Did it again, same thing. 

So thought, ok I'll update them in the account  section rather than whilst trying to buy something. Same issue. 

Googled it and people who have swapped regions on their console to buy from another countries eshop have had this problem. But mine has always been set to Europe. I've never bought elsewhere. 

So I thought right I'll just link my PayPal account. Clicks to do so, the console says an email will be sent to my account. That was an hour ago. I've clicked three times now and had no email. Nothing in junk mail. 

Why is this so fucking painful.  

Why not just buy eShop credit from the likes of Amazon and Shopto? It will save you having to store your details on the console. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Why not just buy eShop credit from the likes of Amazon and Shopto? It will save you having to store your details on the console. 

Because it's easier to have my card details linked. I just wanted to buy a game using my card and my amassed points. I like that the switch gives you the option to be debited the exact amount, rather than having to top up £50 or buying several £10 cards and inputting them all. 

It's stupid that it's making something that should be simple, so difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be...?

1614044918456.png

Spoiler

No, don't be stupid.

But I wouldn't be in the least bit upset.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites