NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

In all seriousness though I've got a question for you guys. What should I be keeping and what should I be selling? Never a fan of games that don't make it clear!

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

In all seriousness though I've got a question for you guys. What should I be keeping and what should I be selling? Never a fan of games that don't make it clear!

If you're not strapped for cash then just hoard away. A lot of the items you find are needed for sidequests. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If your not strapped for cash then just hoard away. A lot of the items you find are needed for sidequests. 

Thanks. The introduction of a junk items section in inventories was a god send for games like these. Guess I've just been spoiled.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Thanks. The introduction of a junk items section in inventories was a god send for games like these. Guess I've just been spoiled.

Honestly, most of the time, enemies will drop better equipment then what you can buy, anyway.

That said, check every new shop for "art books" which let you upgrade corresponding arts to level 7. That's what you should spend money on.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

On 28/12/2023 at 12:21 PM, Happenstance said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 just arrived so I've started it. Sad to say I hate it already. I swear this was supposed to be a farming simulator but all I've seen so far is fighting!

Farming is a fight against the seasons/ elements.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nintendo Life's editorial content, but honestly? I have to agree on this occassion...

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/soapbox-switch-is-only-a-classic-or-two-from-being-the-perfect-playstation-history-lesson

Switch has really become dangerously close to being the best Playstation console at this point.  It does really now have almost all of the major heavy hitting franchise entries of the PS1 and PS2 eras.

Devil May Cry 1-3? Check

Final Fantasy 7-12? Check

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 and Spyro 1-3? Yup

Metal Gear Solid 1-3? Yup, that's a survellance camera.

You even have almost every major S-E PS1 RPG now.  You're only really missing Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest 7 (available on 3DS) and Threads of Fate.  PS2 isn't far behind either, the only real major S-E games missing now are Star Ocean 3, Dragon Quest 8 (available on 3DS), Valkyrie Profile 2 and Kingdom Hearts 1/2/COM (No, the cloud versions don't count).

Switch has really become a crash course in Playstation history.  It's really shocking that all of these once Playstation titans are now readily available on a Nintendo system.

What major Playstation staples are left now? The big holdouts for me are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (and I suppose Castlevania Chronicles as well), Silent Hill 1-3 and the Ridge Racer/Tekken/Soul Calibur titles (But you know... that would require Harada/Namco to play ball with Nintendo and that's not gonna happen...).

We're getting pretty close to the point now where the only major heavy hitting PS1/PS2 exclusives still only available on a Sony console will be their first party titles.

Edited by Dcubed

I read that article as well. Pretty cool.

When you think about it there will no doubt be a lot of Nintendo only gamers who never got to experience these games the first time around and so it's great that they are available on other platforms.

You also have all the Mega Man X games now on Switch and soon the first 3 Tomb Raiders will arrive. It's still missing the original Resident Evil trilogy though. Oh and Final Fantasy Tactics as well.

• Thanks 1

Switch 2 is finally coming out this year! I can feel it! Yup! Definitely this time!

39 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Switch 2 is finally coming out this year! I can feel it! Yup! Definitely this time!

mxtQJm9DeRvNS7MKS2oaQqZ7cIQ=.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Turns out it was nothing. 

RhKJ8yi.png

Dude should have known better than to use an image that usually indicates Nintendo related news for something like that.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

And this is why I never expect anything. Haven't been disappointed in a long time.

Well, aside from FFXVI and my love life.

Ok.

It doesn't work. :p

• Haha 2

I mentioned this in the Xbox Series thread, but the rumoured list of Xbox games coming to Nintendo seems to be piling up...

I wonder if Nintendo/Microsoft might have gone ahead and made a backroom deal... would be an incredible way of kicking off Switch 2 with it being the new home for Xbox Game Studios' biggest hits!

HiFi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Halo, Forza, Starfield? All available natively running on the console on day 1 when Switch 2 launches this November with Xbox Game Pass support? Wow! Could you even imagine how much the internet would just melt down!?

• Like 1

would be an incredible way of kicking off Switch 2 with it being the new home for Xbox Game Studios' biggest hits!

HiFi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Halo, Forza, Starfield? All available natively running on the console on day 1 when Switch 2 launches this November with Xbox Game Pass support? Wow! Could you even imagine how much the internet would just melt down!?

I'm sure that was meant to be impressive but this basically reminded me of how threadbare Microsoft's exclusives have been this past generation.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Don't get me wrong, they'd be solid gets and round out the offering on Switch (especially if native and not running through xCloud), but pretty much anything Nintendo markets as their tentpole console launch release and releases on Day 1 that's first party for this thing is going to crush any and all talk about this, besides the "oh, that's neat" factor of it all. 

I actually think it would be a big mistake to launch Game Pass support on Day 1 for the Switch successor; if the console drops in November, I think you drop that in December.

I was going to say not as a surprise and to get ahead of it, but then, I mean: imagine the Switch 2 launched in November, we're all over the initial couple of weeks with the console and the 9/10 or 10/10 Prime 4 or whatever reviews, and then they drop a trailer for Game Pass coming to Switch at The Game Awards in December – "experience the best of Xbox on the Nintendo Switch with Xbox Game Pass, available later today". Show a trailer glorifying the history of Xbox and then show covers for games available that day and what's coming soon, similar to how Nintendo talks about their NSO additions in Directs whenever a new console is added. 

Now that's how you make waves with that sort of announcement. 

Ai Shark, previously Game Shark, have announced the revival of the brand being aimed at September 2024 – according to them, to coincide with the launch of the Switch 2. 

Announced in a press release, Ai Shark revealed that it was reviving the GameShark brand and that it was re-launching in September 2024. The release window, according to the company "is planned to coincide with the Nintendo Switch 2 in September 2024."

It's going to be a long 9 to 11 months, folks...

EDIT: Schreier with the totally unforeseeable scoop that this is a guess...

...and almost certainly for marketing. 

Edited by Julius

4 million Switch units sold in Japan in 2023, with all 10 of the best-selling games being on the console:

Insanity.

I'm ready for new hardware as much as anyone else is from Nintendo now, but I fully expect that announcement to be followed by some point in the following 12 months by the first official price cut for the Switch. It's pure insanity that the console turns 7 years old (!!!) in less than two months and still hasn't seen one of those. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Honestly? I don’t think we’ll actually get a price cut.  I don’t think it’d make a meaningful difference in sales this late into the console’s life anyway.

Best we’ll get is a clearance sale when Switch 2 comes out.

People are still buying Switches though, even second-hand... generally people want them to be cheaper, but the cheapest they seem to go for with a dock is £150+ - £200 or so.

If I was selling one, it'd be £225 + for sure though, depending on condition.

Putting the price of the Switch down to £200 or less would prbably be a good move, though... Nintendo don't have to, the Switch is still selling well.

As for the games, Mario Kart 8 DX, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario... anything, and Minecraft are the games which get asked for most.

This is Nintendo though. Once the Switch successor is out they could pull something like this on us again:

A1Ie1-X-xdL.jpg

Well here’s a genuine shocker… Namco remembered that the Switch exists after all!

Perhaps the feud is finally over and there’s now hope for Namco support going forward on Switch 2!

On 13/01/2024 at 8:30 AM, Ashley said:

This is Nintendo though. Once the Switch successor is out they could pull something like this on us again:

Wonder what features the Canadians have singled out as ripe for the cuttin this time.

Very cool!

Interesting that the design language was already set in so early.  Would’ve expected it to more closely evoke the Wii U & 3DS considering that this menu design hails from circa 2015-2016.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2