NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I ended up agreeing to the Switch anyway. It was a good enough deal that I'm happy enough getting it now for stuff to play and still upgrading if the Switch 2 comes out later this year and I want it. 

You've gone to deep into the rumours.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

You've gone to deep into the rumours.

There are still a few weeks left, there's still time

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Hook, line and sinker.

You are going to be so embarrassed when I'm playing Super Mario 3D Universe on my new Switch Too on New Year's Eve. 

Just now, Happenstance said:

You are going to be so embarrassed when I'm playing Super Mario 3D Universe on my new Switch Too on New Year's Eve. 

Great, now I want this! And it doesn't even exist!

Thanks a lot, jerk!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Well Switch U to you too. What better way to see the year out than further embarrassment. :santa: 

Already looking forward to you live blogging it on here.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Great, now I want this! And it doesn't even exist!

Thanks a lot, jerk!

Might not exist in the hands of the consumer now, but just give it 20 days.

Picked up the oled today. Nice condition so that's nice! Came with Mario Kart and Tears of the Kingdom and then I bought Super Mario Bros Wonder and Metroid Prime Remastered. Those should keep me going for a while.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Picked up the oled today. Nice condition so that's nice! Came with Mario Kart and Tears of the Kingdom and then I bought Super Mario Bros Wonder and Metroid Prime Remastered. Those should keep me going for a while.

Enjoy! 

What you playing first?

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Enjoy! 

What you playing first?

Going with Mario Wonder. I've played load of Mario Kart 8 before, Metroid I did play a fair amount back on the Gamecube and Zelda I'll probably get to next but I was like you and not a massive fan of Breath of the Wild so I'm in no rush.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, Happenstance said:

Going with Mario Wonder. I've played load of Mario Kart 8 before, Metroid I did play a fair amount back on the Gamecube and Zelda I'll probably get to next but I was like you and not a massive fan of Breath of the Wild so I'm in no rush.

It's interesting to see your pickups, probably because you've already played (better versions of) third party stuff elsewhere. Here's how I'm rating it:

Must-haves: Mario Kart 8, Mario Wonder
Say no to: Metroid, TotK, Mario RPG

Have I missed anything? What else you got in your sights? :D 

16 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

It's interesting to see your pickups, probably because you've already played (better versions of) third party stuff elsewhere. Here's how I'm rating it:

Must-haves: Mario Kart 8, Mario Wonder
Say no to: Metroid, TotK, Mario RPG

Have I missed anything? What else you got in your sights? :D 

Yeah so as you said third party stuff will be elsewhere. Older Switch stuff like Mario Odyssey etc was already played the first time around.

Games I'll get once I clear through some of the current lot:

Sktyward Sword HD
Link's Awakeing
Luigi's Mansion 3
Metroid Dread (Still debating this one as I hate chase mechanics in games)

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah so as you said third party stuff will be elsewhere. Older Switch stuff like Mario Odyssey etc was already played the first time around.

Sktyward Sword HD
Link's Awakeing
Luigi's Mansion 3

All good choices but I'd go with Luigi's Mansion 3. It's still one of my fav Switch games. Love it. :heart:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Sktyward Sword HD
Link's Awakeing
Luigi's Mansion 3

Link's Awakening is an all time great, imho. The remake juxtaposes the chilling storyline with a charming lick of paint. And if you liked past Luigi's Mansions you'll know what you're in for with 3—and fwiw, probably has the best graphics on Switch. Two games that should be in everyone's collection and might be extra lovely if you're playing that OLED in portable mode.

Did you play Skyward Sword on Wii? I didn't rate it (nothing to do with the control scheme) so wouldn't really recommend prioritising the HD version. As for Dread... try the demo and see if it's your bag. 

Oh, behave!

Nor is it my bag, but far be it for me to tell Happenstance how to waste his time and money now he's started!

• Haha 1

Yeah I've played the Dread demo before and just finished trying it again. I love the way the game plays and everything around it but despise those chase sequences.

Luigi's Mansion 1 I loved, 2 not so much but I think that's because I thought the multiple mansions watered the game down too much.

I never played Skyward Sword on Wii, for me it was the controls. I cannot stand motion controls.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The 360 was massive in the US. Wow, impressive. Thought the Switch would have surpassed it years ago.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I've played the Dread demo before and just finished trying it again. I love the way the game plays and everything around it but despise those chase sequences.

Luigi's Mansion 1 I loved, 2 not so much but I think that's because I thought the multiple mansions watered the game down too much.

I never played Skyward Sword on Wii, for me it was the controls. I cannot stand motion controls.

To be fair to it, I thought the movement looked good in the trailers. Metroid and Metroidvanias aren't for me, but of those I've had a good time with, the movement is what pulled me in. I have the Dread demo but fairly certain I never fired it up.

I got and have been playing LM2 this year due to the 3DS eShop closure. I've had fun with it, some annoying ghosts aside, and it's been great to have new stuff to enjoy in 3D. The separate mansions suits the handheld nature of it, imo. LM3 has a ton of floors with individual themes so it's like they took the LM2 variety and stacked it. Only bad thing I can think to say about 3 is the bosses were somewhat more of a pain than I expected as they weren't self-explanatory like the usual Nintendo bosses. Or maybe I'm just not in tune with the Luigi's Mansion way of doing things since I hit similar spikes in 2. Otherwise, it's great stuff that rarely gets talked about.

Design-wise, Skyward Sword is the polar opposite of BotW. Which may sound great but it brings its own issues to the table. Probably worth a go if you like Zelda and you've never played it though. What it does have is music and the toilet hand like Majora's Mask.

Is there no way to see your previously purchased games on the eshop? I can look at my purchase history but that only goes back a year. I'd completely forgotten I already owned Dead Cells on there until I happened to look at it browsing the store.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Is there no way to see your previously purchased games on the eshop? I can look at my purchase history but that only goes back a year. I'd completely forgotten I already owned Dead Cells on there until I happened to look at it browsing the store.

If you go to the redownload section of your account all the games you previously bought should be there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If you go to the redownload section of your account all the games you previously bought should be there.

Ah nice thanks. Google lied to me then! Time to see what else I own!

Just now, darksnowman said:

The redownload bit is handy but wouldn't bother checking your wishlist. Better going off memory for that.

I use PSPrices email notifications for any wishlist stuff

Grabbed some more games in todays eshop sale:

Final Fantasy VII (Apparently I just like to own this everywhere)
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Into the Breach
Vampire Survivors (Doesn't feel like a handheld without this so another double dip)
Chrono Cross

56 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Grabbed some more games in todays eshop sale:

Chrono Cross

My condolences. 

• Haha 3