N-Europe

Derren Brown's "I'm failing the nation" series

EEVILMURRAY

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a try, not a thing. I also suspect there was nothing special about the video whatsoever, the real 'magic' being the conditioning beforehand. Some of it wasn't exactly subtle, either: Derren's choice of words were obviously picked to glamorise being stuck, using words like "open minded" and praising people's "ability". Pavlov didn't use a magic bell, he just associated its ringing to the arrival of food.

I don't really understand why people seem intent on calling Brown out for not being an actual fireball-hurling wizard. He isn't a magician, the entire point of his tricks is that they are just that, the manipulation of people into believing something is possible even though it isn't. He's an entertainer.

alot of you were skeptical before hand and you watched and it didnt work...the thing with it was it will work if your allowing to make it work. If your watching laughing thinking its a big joke it isnt gunna effect you is it :S

I was skeptical before, but I still wanted it to work. I love freaky stuff. Like that thing where you push 2 pens together, then it feels like they're stuck together when you try to pull them apart.

All the way through that program I found myself doing the opposite of what the volunteers did. When the woman had to pick one of the orange shirted people, I picked 15 as soon as they came out. Plus with the giraffe thing, I decided I would pick something from one of the corners of the shop, I didn't even think about the Giraffe. Although I did notice what he did with his arm at the beginning and notice when he said "you have (giraffe) a favourite toy", it sounded a bit off.

me and mate watched it last night. Didnt work on me :( but my mate was glued :o he couldnt move no matter how hard he tried he couldnt move hands off his legs either. But when the sound came up to cancel it out he stood up :o freaky

alot of you were skeptical before hand and you watched and it didnt work...the thing with it was it will work if your allowing to make it work. If your watching laughing thinking its a big joke it isnt gunna effect you is it :S

This has to be one of the biggest piles of bullshit I've ever heard.

I was skeptical before, but I still wanted it to work. I love freaky stuff. Like that thing where you push 2 pens together, then it feels like they're stuck together when you try to pull them apart.

All the way through that program I found myself doing the opposite of what the volunteers did. When the woman had to pick one of the orange shirted people, I picked 15 as soon as they came out. Plus with the giraffe thing, I decided I would pick something from one of the corners of the shop, I didn't even think about the Giraffe. Although I did notice what he did with his arm at the beginning and notice when he said "you have (giraffe) a favourite toy", it sounded a bit off.

He once had a live show where he had a member of the audience stand and give her responces to his question "think of an animal" and she said "mouse," and he replied "now the rest of the audience were thinking 'elephant'..." and I was thinking elephant. There's a different response when you're actually involved in the situation to the one we have as spectators.

According to Reuters this trick will only work on people who watch more than three hours of Jeremy Kyle a week!

Or 2 hours of Trisha!

I'm telling you, he's the gay messiah.

Does Rufus do magic? NO!

Hes not the messiah, hes just a very naughty boy!

so did anyone else presides my mate get stuck then? ive not heard of anyone on here getting stuck :hmm:

Either way it's nothing compared to the magic of David Copperfield. I love the music on this, especially on the tram scene. It fits so well.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Anyone watching Derren Brown this week then?

I really wouldnt be suprised if the drawing had something to do with circles, you could see a circle in the womans eyes and also when they had some writing on screen all the letters came up normally except for the "o" which came on like you would draw the letter freehand.

Anyone watching Derren Brown this week then?

I really wouldnt be suprised if the drawing had something to do with circles, you could see a circle in the womans eyes and also when they had some writing on screen all the letters came up normally except for the "o" which came on like you would draw the letter freehand.

you were right....hmmm more odd was how she was locked up in that thing at stone henge after she said it wasn't a circle but actually stone henge from above...I did draw circles but not remotely like them, had a circle balanced on a triangle. Did draw some lines that did kinda look like a tiny bit like stone henge but I thought they looked more phone pylons and wires...I'll post it on here...

Though at the point of filming he supposedly didn't know about the drawing - at least not by seeing what she'd drawn. He could have worked it out somehow though, what with him being clever like that and all.

The guy they kept talking to who worked there had one of these ear things aswell:

Yeah, I do think he is privy to a lot more than he lets on, and that there is more going on than the viewer is led to believe.

After all, he does make it clear that "misdirection" is a key part of what he does, and at least he's honest about that...

I dunno. I can't believe that he'd know. I just can't let myself believe it :heh: I do reckon he didn't know, you know what he's like. I've got friends going to see him live in a few months, I'd love to go and experience it first hand, but if all of his tricks were based on knowing the people, or the situation, or the answer, or looking at the picture then he'd have been found out a long time ago.

I lost respect for Derren during that episode. The events thing is turning out to be a load of bull.

The whole eyes thing was dumb, I thought that was just the obvious thing to draw. I didn't bother drawing after 1 picture because I just felt stupid doing it. There was nothing forcing it's way into my mind when I looked at the eyes (although strangely I did draw a train, but do believe that was totally random and unconnected) and thought it would be too pathetic to just be a bunch of circles.

Then there was that vague old cockhead that pissed around and the stupid lightbulb trick.

I was trying to defend this man during the lottery thing but now I just think he is losing credibility. Nothing in that show was Psychic, even if he himself was skeptical..

Why the large section of that guy messing about though? That bloke basically got shafted when Derren said he was totally wrong, though he was true in saying that.

I probably did miss the point, but I'm not sure there really is a 'point' to any of these Events.