N-Europe

Promises

Pantsu Man!

I'm not a thread starter. I wasn't in my previous life and I don't like doing it but this piqued my interest.

What are you like with promises?

Either you asking someone to do something for you, or they ask you to do something for them.

I go by a silent promise that if someone asks me to do something I'll help them right away or as close to the time they asked as possible, and I'll try to not forget that they asked me to do it. I take pride in this.

However whenever I ask someone to do something for me, it always ends in failure or annoyance. The earliest I remember, and most embarrasing and annoying to bring up, it the time when I asked a bunch of friends out for my birthday and one showed up. It annoys me to this day. Alas. Nowadays I never ask anyone to do things like this because I don't really expect anyone to keep to their word anymore. Other occasions are when I ask someone to be somewhere at a certain time just to pick you up and drive you somewhere and then they're late, even though you know they're not doing anything that important that holds them up.

(This is why I don't start topics, walls of text)

So where do you stand. Do you like to make empty promises? Do you like to always leave someone knowing you're a prick? Or do you like to keep to your word?

I think you have it figured -- keep promises to yourself. If elements out of your control impinged upon your ability to carry out the promise you save face by not announcing a promise to the promised. Get me? I mean, they'll not be as forgiving as you are to yourself.

I've made some promises aloud before that I've not kept, and to this day I feel pretty bad about them, and I'm certain that people thought of me differently.

Hence Paj gonna get a wee whup for the madonnagif.

:P

'Lips that promise - fear the worst

Tongue so sharp - the bubble burst

Just into unjust'

Hmm I don't make promises that I can't keep so I don't make them that often, but if I do then I make sure to honour them. :)

I'm actually struggling to think of times when I've promised anything... I really can't think of any occasions.

But if we're talking of "oh yeah I'll do that" moments, then it sometimes depends on who it is and what happens between me saying I'll do it, and the "delivery" date. For instance, at uni I was meant to do a quick animation for a team project, just some assets I'd developed being turned into an animation: No problem. But then a few days later (and a couple of days before I said I'd have it done) the team leader asked for a bunch of other peoples' assets to be included; most of which needed to be textured and didn't have any base animations to begin with. I think this is fair to then say bugger off. And I didn't do either because it turned out no one else had to.

Or should I have done what I originally said I'd do...

But I was under the impression everyone was doing it.

And...

And...

Oh great, now I feel bad.

*feels no guilt*

Hence Paj gonna get a wee whup for the madonnagif.

:P

Didn't you just warn me not to do it again, rather than me promising not to?

If you ever have to watch that dredge, you'll appreciate why I dragged it out for one last time.

::shrug:

I try to keep all my promises, but of course I miss some of them. I don't exactly place hand over heart and say "I swear by oath that I shall fulfil this promise of mine!" I just say, "I'll do that for tomorrow." If I know I may possibly be prevented in doing so, I'll tell that as well - I prefer to make people aware of the quality of a promise of mine. Of course, something unforseen may come up, or the task may turn out to be much more difficult than presumed. In those cases, I simply apologise sincerely to the person and hope they forgive me. It's never really a problem, though.

I made this promise as a Brownie:

I promise that I will do my best

To love my God,

To serve the Queen and my country,

To help other people

And

To keep the Brownie Guide Law.

I think we can safely say I've broken that promise.

Sounds an awful lot like the cub and scout promise law thingy. I'm going to gloss over that as it invalidates my actual reply ;)

I don't like to break a promise, or generally my word. I don't 'promise' explicitly too often, but I like to stick to what I say mainly just because I don't like people who don't and so I wanna be what I want people to be, like. If I do explicitly make a promise though, I'll do it, I'll try my goddamn darndest hardest to keep it, regardless of anything else. Except time maybe. Time and me do not get along, so sometimes when I say I'll do something, I will eventually do it, just maybe not for a while cos I suck at keeping time.

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word - and I don't break them for no one."

I made this promise as a Brownie:

I promise that I will do my best

To love my God,

To serve the Queen and my country,

To help other people

And

To keep the Brownie Guide Law.

I think we can safely say I've broken that promise.

I made a similar promise, change the word "Brownie" to "Scouts/Cub-Scouts". I believe i have 3/4 broken that promise. The 1/4 i have not broken is i do help other people (now and then)