NEurope
welsh_gamer

Save GameCentral.

Does anyone hear read GameCentral on Teletext daily? I do, was even doing so in the Digitiser days. I love it, it's been part of a daily routine in my mornings for years. Spot-on reviews in my opinion, intresting features and a great letters page. Sadly, early next year, Teletext on ITV and Channel 4 is shutting down for good, which means no more GameCentral, so there's an online petition doing the rounds, with the hope being that Gamecentral can continue in some form or other, maybe on Ceefax or as a Website.

Anyone else a fan, or is Teletext a waste of time now seeing as we have the web?

If you'd like to sign the petition here's the link :-

http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveGC/

Why do you need a petition to save something which could simply move to a blog, with no effort or money required, of the writers' own accord? If they want to carry on they can, easily. Online petitions never work but this one seems particularly useless.

I was a fan, back in the Digitiser days, before I had any other kind of free, easily accessed gaming news (hello, Internet).

Why do you need a petition to save something which could simply move to a blog, with no effort or money required, of the writers' own accord? If they want to carry on they can, easily. Online petitions never work but this one seems particularly useless.

Just a guess, but possibly cause you can't read a blog on TV? ;)

I don't think I've ever used teletext.

As for GameCentral, I've red a few reviews on their site and thought they were terrible (they spent 90% of the Nuts & Bolts review complaining that it wasn't a platformer instead of talking about the actual game, for example).

Oh man! I remember reading Digi and Central!

Yeah, why don't they just move it to a blog?

Just a guess, but possibly cause you can't read a blog on TV? ;)

You can with a Wii, PS3 and I believe a 360 :p

If you are in a cheap B&B in Blackpool and you want to check the gaming news, it's handy!

I used to love Digitiser but then I started thinking they were just grumpy old men. I had a few reviews on there back in the day though. (1996-98 I'm sure.) :D

Still, the 'publication' reminds me of programmes like Gamesmaster and a time when I used to buy magazines. Gamecentral is still witty, totally hammers the industry and is one of the most honest gaming publications out there, it's just unfortunate that it lives on a service which is severely limited (by its own management and its source). Still, it will always be fondly remembered by me.

Although it will probably reappear online in a larger capacity than it currently has.

Whaaa'cha on about? TVs in a couple of years will have internet as standarrrrd. Plus you control them with your mind.

And... and... and... then...

I don't think I've ever used teletext.

You've never played Bamboozle?! Try it before its too late!

Wait... didn't GameCentral review Another Code on the Wii pretty harshly giving it a 5/10? if it was them then I don't think they are worth saving tbh... :heh:

I've been reading GameCentral since it started, and Digitiser for a good few years before that, so I'll definitely be sad to see it go. Digitiser was absolutely hilarious, and I read it for the humour just as much as the games stuff, and although GameCentral isn't quite the same, I still prefer it to any gaming website. I don't think signing a petition is going to help anything, but I hope they carry on in some fashion, as a blog or something.

I never went anywhere beyond the football results as far as Teletext/Ceefax was concerned.

Whenever I checked, it was always on the page for the Division One results. Had to wait for it to trawl through Division Two, Three, Conference, then it went onto the Scottish Premier, Scottish Division One, Two, Three, then the Premier League...oh, shit, I didn't see who fucking scored for Southampton! Probably Le Tissier...*waits*...Yep, who else?

It's all about SkyText with me now, though.

Edited by Roostophe

If you are in a cheap B&B in Blackpool and you want to check the gaming news, it's handy!

To counter that, I would ask why you'd be in Blackpool in the first place. Any news can always wait til you get home. It's more exciting that way! Build-up, Build-up.

GameCentral and Digitiser...wow...suddenly I feel quite old. I have used teletext or viewed these pages in such a long time. *ooo, my Wii's blue light just turned on, how cool.*

It's nice for people to be able to have the option to view the stuff on teletext, but maybe they could also put the stuff online, as well? If they don't do that already. Best of both worlds, no?

So, Blog aaand Teletext.

I never went anywhere beyond the football results as far as Teletext/Ceefax was concerned.

Whenever I checked, it was always on the page for the Division One results. Had to wait for it to trawl through Division Two, Three, Conference, then it went onto the Scottish Premier, Scottish Division One, Two, Three, then the Premier League...oh, shit, I didn't see who fucking scored for Southampton! Probably Le Tissier...*waits*...Yep, who else?

It's all about SkyText with me now, though.

Actually, I remember I used to check the football results on CeeFax. I would just leave it on there and let it update itself. I remember one game where it was between United and Arsenal, and we were 2-1 down. Me and my brother had popped to the kitchen to have our tea, so we came back and saw that and thought "nooo." Then, somebody equalised. I think it may have been Giggs.

Long Live Teletext, Ceefax!

You've never played Bamboozle?! Try it before its too late!

Damn right. That's all Teletext needs.

That and "now and next" for TV listings.

Their sarcasm and harsh critique is exactly what I'm in the mood for on early weekday mornings.

Plus the mailbag is always a laugh.

I'd rather this stayed than having to watch BBC Breakfast or the wombles...

They should launch this online via a blog or something, or even publish Youtube reviews. The internet is the future, Teletext is the past to be fair.

Man, I can't believe I'm feeling nostalgic for teletext/ceefax. Still can remember the page numbers, 606, 120, 101 etc. That and vital letters going missing and being replaced by %. And Bamboozle rocked, I'm surprised it's still going.