N-Europe

Can You Swim?

Kirkatronics

I can swim, learned when i was little with school and also i used to do swimming lessons.

In answer to above question also, i have never had a problem with opening my eyes underwater, i used to wear goggles alot when i was younger but dont anymore but it was cool coz u could see clearly under the water!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't swim underwater. I was never allowed when I was younger as I had gromits/other ear-related things which didn't go together with swimming underwater.

As such, I never learnt.

I can swim competantly above water though. I mean, if I was in a sinking submarine, and had to escape and swim to the surface, I would probably deal with it, but I don't know.

I mean, if I was in a sinking submarine, and had to escape and swim to the surface, I would probably deal with it, but I don't know.

Hopefully that'll never happen though. Saying that, I have been in that submarine that goes under lake Windermere; I think it would have been more exciting if it had sunk.

As for swimming, yes I can. I can do at least 3 forwards roly polys as well!

Random swimming info: (Coz I'm a qualified Swimming Teacher in the STA.)

Never start swimming with Breaststroke...because it puts huge amounts of pressure on your knees. Your actually best off warming up by doing a different kick style. Old people always get in the pool and start on the old Breaststroke leg kick...fools!

The cleanest part of the pool is around half way to 3/4 of the depth of the pool. The pool floor gets heavy crap like dirt whereas the top few inches involves things like eye lashes, oils from skin, bits of float and other crap like ingredients from skin lotions etc...

Also: don't drink the water in the shallow end: kids piss in the shallow end...

Yes, swimming is a very clean activity, only because Chlorine kills anything remotely dangerous.

Also...do the following motions with your arms: Straight out like an elephant's trunk.

Then put your arms towards your arm pits like a monkey and then finally do a little hamster with your hands infront of your mouth to get perfect arms for breaststroke. It works everytime...and makes you look in-bloody-sane.

Thanks for listening.

I love swimming. Used to go weekly with my parents when I was really young, so I've always had a knack for it. Never had proper lessons as such other than the mostly pointless school trips. On holiday last month I swam 1000m a day, just for the fun of it. I go occasionally to the local pool, but not very often anymore. I should do it more.

I can swim and I really enjoy doing it, but I can't open my eyes underwater and I can't dive. Its psychological but I just can't make myself go head first into a pool.

I cant dive either, i know its psycological because i could dive when i did swimming lesson. Now im too scared.

Could it be connected to a fear of heights do you think?

Possibly. Im apprehensive with heights but will still go up a great height rather than dive. Its more an irrational fear that I will somehow break the laws of physics and go head first into the bottom of the pool.

But then I do often break the laws of physics ;)

Also...do the following motions with your arms: Straight out like an elephant's trunk.

Then put your arms towards your arm pits like a monkey and then finally do a little hamster with your hands infront of your mouth to get perfect arms for breaststroke. It works everytime...and makes you look in-bloody-sane.

Thanks for listening.

Dude, you're gonna need to put that into a gif or youtube video or something for us to seee. :heh:

I think it's pretty rare that you can't swim at all, instinct takes over - the best way to start learning is to be thrown in, you'll get the doggy paddle down straight away.

Hence the phrase "thrown in at the deep end".

This is basically how my dad taught me to swim. He tried fake-drowning so i would swim out to him, but that didnt work. He tried letting go of my hand after pulling me around the deep end , but i always pre-empted it and clung to him like an octopus.

Finally he got fed up and threw me off the diving board into the center of the deep end. The first time he had to come get me immediately but the second time i actually held my breath and swam to the nearest ladder by myself. Before long , i was swimming like a fish, diving and flipping off the board and my first real job was as a lifeguard

Its hard to tell a non-swimmer that if you hold your breath you WILL float, but its reality. And the most subtle arm and leg motions can easily keep your head above the water. Im not suggesting everyone train to become olympic-grade swimmers but i do think everyone should learn how to keep themselves afloat in deep water

Edited by Pit-Jr

I can swim and I really enjoy doing it, but I can't open my eyes underwater and I can't dive. Its psychological but I just can't make myself go head first into a pool.

But your arms go in first. Try to remember that next time you're there.

The title keeps making me think of Robocop:

"Can you fly Bobby?"

But your arms go in first. Try to remember that next time you're there.

The title keeps making me think of Robocop:

"Can you fly Bobby?"

Haha, did you watch that tonight? It was on Virgin1, and it must be the millionth time I've seen it.

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"