Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

R.I.P. my love...

Letty

Sorry for your loss Letty... :(

Here's a picture of our one remaining Fiiish!

2v7zdj5.jpg

He's a Mirror Carp who doesn't have a name as we just tend to call it 'teh carp' or 'fiiish' or sometimes 'Jaws' when it's feeding time :heh: either way he's pretty mahoosive and we've had him for about ten years now... ^^'

Oh yeah and when the last fiiish we had in the same tank died, teh carp feasted off its corpse... good times. :)

More specifically, plecos. They are just awesome, I have one like in this link below, except it's a bit less 'grandpa-ish'.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_nugget.php

I feel so sorry for Common Plecos and think that they should be banned from being sold in this country. They grow up to 2ft in length and people buy them to put in 2ft long tanks. Most people don't even bother learning about the adult size of fish when they buy them. What do they think is going to happen to these fish?

A lot of tropical fish are actually captured from their natural habitat. A lot of these Plecos are being caught in the Amazon, packaged in plastic bags and then transported all around the world for the aquarium trade. They are lucky to survive the trip. If I was one of these fish, I'd rather stay in the Amazon.

I'd like to see a ban on the sale of all fish that grow to over 6-7 inches in the aquarium trade. Common Plecs (2ft), Golfish (1ft) and Iridescent sharks (4ft) are all big no nos! If people cared about animal welfare, they would support such a law.

With pets, people often say they "love" them, when it is really just selfish one sided love. People buy Pugs and adore them, when they are really supporting animal cruelty by helping to bring more deformed, suffering dogs into the world. People "love" their pet birds, but make them live their lives in cages to small for them to even fly. A lot of pet owners carry out animal cruelty in the name of "love" for their pets. We are often deluded when we think we actually love them. We are often just making animals suffer for our own comfort.

People are so ignorant to think that fish are somehow different from other animals just because of the way they look and live. Many fish are incredibly intelligent and some would easily give a dog (or a 6 year old child) a run for its money. A Cichlid like an Oscar is as clever as a dog and anybody who likes to fish will know exactly how intelligent Carp are. Their memories are as long as their lives and they learn how to overcome even the most advanced fishing rigs.

SCG, this is how big Mirror Carp are supposed to grow:

mirrorcarp.jpg

You should find a pond, lake or canal and let it go. They survive perfectly well in England.

SCG, this is how big Mirror Carp are supposed to grow:

mirrorcarp.jpg

You should find a pond, lake or canal and let it go. They survive perfectly well in England.

Awesome but... no can do, the house behind us had a pond full of fish and they were all got by a Heron :( so I doubt that he would survive tbh and besides it's not our fault that we were miss-sold eet...

Plus... we've kinda become attached to him just as he has to us, he knows everyone in the house and will try to be fed more times in the day than he's supposed to :heh: and yes we do allready feed him well, don't worry he's well looked after. :)

And anyway... if I were to release it into the wild then it would just end up getting caught like the one in that picture there and sure that one might have got put back but not all fishermen throw them back do they? and it's be sods law that it'd just be caught and killed. :(

Edited by S.C.G

And anyway... if I were to release it into the wild then it would just end up getting caught like the one in that picture there and sure that one might have got put back but not all fishermen throw them back do they? and it's be sods law that it'd just be caught and killed. :(

The one in that picture could be as old as 30.;) I'm not sure how well it would cope, but it would cope better than a goldfish. Carp do very well in this country and do so well in the US that they are seen as pests! If you got it used to eating weeds and small invertebrates like bloodworm, I bet it wouldn't have a problem at all.

The carp could in fact be a dragon and by releasing it, you could get good karma!

It's against the law in the UK to take fish home using a course fishing licence, or at least it was when I went fishing as a teenager. If they catch you, they can take away all of your fishing gear and fine you. Quite a lot of places are artificially stocked with fish by people and the fish are quite expensive for them to buy or raise.

Older carp get caught a lot less frequently than small carp because they are very wise and actually learn the different types of fishing rigs used by fisherman to trick them. You'd be lucky to catch big carp on a normal hook and would need to use a hair rig instead, but they can also learn how to avoid those. Carp are amazing and very successful fish.

Edited by Pyxis

Awesome but... no can do, the house behind us had a pond full of fish and they were all got by a Heron :( so I doubt that he would survive tbh and besides it's not our fault that we were miss-sold eet...

Plus... we've kinda become attached to him just as he has to us, he knows everyone in the house and will try to be fed more times in the day than he's supposed to :heh: and yes we do allready feed him well, don't worry he's well looked after. :)

Put mesh over the pond so the Heron cant get them.

Herons also fear plastic floati ng ducks for some weird reason.

I got two goldfish about 3 days ago, they are called beano and dandy and they are awesome, swimming around that little tank of theirs.

Really relaxes me during the sleepless nights thanks to a little miss Ivy lol.

I've just seen this thread and the memories of my fish have come flooding back!

poor fish didn't know what was about to eat them.

My sister had a gold fish, I don't remember the name or anything but I do know that it ate my fish!

I've owned 3 goldfish in my time all eaten by my sisters fish and then that one died of Obesisty. It's a tragic family Drama but with fish. :p

PS: SORRY TO HERE ABOUT YOUR FISH LETTY! :(

Apparently some fish that appear dead actually aren't. When they eat too much, it does something to their balance or whatever and they float on their side. Leave them to digest the food and they swim around again.

I think I heard that on QI.

Apparently some fish that appear dead actually aren't. When they eat too much, it does something to their balance or whatever and they float on their side. Leave them to digest the food and they swim around again.

All my knowledge lately seems to come from QI

Their swim bladder? I think that is caused by a bad diet and a build up of gas, which makes them float to the surface. When I had my tropical fish, I fed them nothing but frozen food (bloodworm, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae and daphnia).