NEurope
navarre

Scottish/Welsh/Cornish independence

The purpose of this thread is to find out whether or not you believe that Scotland, Wales or even Cornwall should attain independence from the United Kingdom.

It is my personal belief that they shouldn't- I love the security of living in a big country, and each individual country has benefitted from the union.

Discuss.

Cornwall rocks, my dad is Cornish...

That's all I have to add, sorry :heh:

We are one united country. That is how it should stay.

As a Welshman (even though I'm English and am currently living in England...I still see myself as Welsh) I'm against it. I don't really see what the big problem is - the individual governments still get say in a number of things (like perscriptions and univerity fees).

The purpose of this thread is to find out whether or not you believe that Scotland, Wales or even Cornwall should attain independence from the United Kingdom.

It is my personal belief that they shouldn't- I love the security of living in a big country, and each individual country has benefitted from the union.

Discuss.

Funny, I love the security of living in a small country far away from any trouble.

What about the Northern Irish? Seem more of a candidate for independence than Cornwall. I never knew Cornwall had ever been independent or desired too.

Funny, I love the security of living in a small country far away from any trouble.

What about the Northern Irish? Seem more of a candidate for independence than Cornwall. I never knew Cornwall had ever been independent or desired too.

You've clearly never been to Cornwall. People with Cornish flags everywhere

Cornwall rocks

Seconded, Cornwall owns... no prizes for guessing where I live. :heh:

Seconded, Cornwall owns... no prizes for guessing where I live. :heh:

Scotland ?

This kind of nationalism pisses me off. Screw any country that decides (through proper voting) to seperate. Have fun struggling.

Very similar situation with Quebec and Canada. It goes something like this. Quebec wants money. Quebec says they're leaving. The federal government gives them money. Quebec wants more money. Quebec stays to get more money.

Scotland ?

Och aye... I mean erm Oh arr, no ye 'cakey bugger! :heh:

This kind of nationalism pisses me off. Screw any country that decides (through proper voting) to seperate. Have fun struggling.

I don't necessarilly think Scotland and Cornwall should be seperate officially but if you've ever been to Cornwall then you'll know that we at least think of this place as being seperate, it almost is like a different country in some respects tbh lol.

And let it go to shit like before?

And let it go to shit like before?

I don't think he was suggesting that it should. Just saying that it was missed off of the debate and the most sensible choice geographically.

I don't think he was suggesting that it should. Just saying that it was missed off of the debate and the most sensible choice geographically.

True, out of interest why did the troubles not spread to Ireland

True, out of interest why did the troubles not spread to Ireland

What troubles do you mean? The IRA?

No no no.

No one needs independance, no one is under oppresion, everything is better as is. End of, close thread thankbai.

I have this joke with my Cornish friend at uni that Devon and Cornwall are basically analagous to the confederate states in the US. They even have their own fucking flag. It's only a matter of time.

Amen :)

Anyway, I'm usually against a country splitting. That goes for the UK and Spain as well.

What troubles do you mean? The IRA?

Basically the sole reason of the troubles was catholics v protestants. Not only place were this exists

I don't honestly care all that much, as long as it's a peaceful seperation and I can still continue to go to uni. Then let them. Although it seems odd to let cornwall over ireland..

Basically the sole reason of the troubles was catholics v protestants. Not only place were this exists

But its the most prominent and well known.

Oh and the arseholes not only hate the "other side" but they hate what they consider foreigners. When I moved here (northern ireland) we had to be quite stealth about it because my father was in the RAF (posted from Scotland) We had to get the car reg plate changed to a local one, phone is to this day ex-directory, and doesn't appear when you ring someone. It was quite scary.

Northern Ireland's a bit neither here nor there. Dunno if independence would be a good thing really. Things here (in my area anyway) seem to have settled. If we rejoined the south, Its pretty certain that the troubles will multiply tenfold.

Its a bit pointless becoming independant unless they left the EU too (which I guess they wouldnt do) as a fair amount of law comes from european directives now.

I have this joke with my Cornish friend at uni that Devon and Cornwall are basically analagous to the confederate states in the US. They even have their own fucking flag. It's only a matter of time.

Every county in England has its own flag.

The Cornish independence movement has too little support. Most Cornish folk don't even see Cornwall as a country.

Every county in England has its own flag.

The Cornish independence movement has too little support. Most Cornish folk don't even see Cornwall as a country.

True, it isn't, it's just that Cornwall is a place that's heavilly traditionalised(sp) and that's maybe why some think it is a country in itself but it really isn't. :heh:

True, it isn't, it's just that Cornwall is a place that's heavilly traditionalised(sp) and that's maybe why some think it is a country in itself but it really isn't. :heh:

Are you native Cornish (ie were you born there?)? It's always interesting to recieve others opinions.

No one needs independance, no one is under oppresion, everything is better as is. End of, close thread thankbai.

Exactly. I think it was a while back that an advocate for the Falklands Islands independence (or secession to Argentina), on this very forum, was comparing the situation to Tibet. They failed to see why people here complained about Tibet's invasion when we had control over a group of islands that Argentina wanted. They also failed to see that the Falkland Islands were a British overseas territory populated by Brits that enjoy a range of freedoms from religion to democracy whereas Tibet was an unlawful invasion of a province where the population were Tibetans, and are suppressed on issues like religion and democracy. If no one's being suppressed or oppressed, then independence is mostly redundant, especially in the case of Scotland, where most supporters for indepedence are just nationalists with too much pride.