N-Europe

The best thing you have ever done

Goafer

betcha they'd still go all "battle-royale" over a points system. 'specially if there was a pokemon toy in it for the winner at the end of term *nods*

hoo-boy!!

Are you kidding? Of course they would! I know I would! :D

One of my classmates it really the biggest Pokémon and Disney fan I have ever met. It's crazy! :D

On a more serious note, the point system can be quite serious. Anyone read "The Wave"?

I did it in a Mazda RX7 (the one on the left). As far as I know the car is still on the road and working fine. All it needed after the trip was a new exhaust (it had been leaking for a while) and the gearbox looking at. Really was a superb car, but it cost too much to keep on the road (fuel and oil mainly) so I didn't have any spare money to repair it.

Definately do the trip. It's worth it. Plus it's not like it's hard to organise. Just book a ticket on the tunnel on a weekend when the track is open to the public and go there. There's no need to book at the campsite, just show up and pay.

It took about 10 hours each way I think, with stops/waiting for the tunnel. It was epic fun. I spent my 22nd birthday in 4 different countries. England, France, Belgium and Germany. I think we stayed on the same motorway from Calais to near the Nurburgring.

How much do you reckon it cost you for the whole thing? Not sure I'd be able to camp (no way I'd get a tent + stuff in my car) but sounds like even with a hotel stay it wouldn't be too bad. Realistically it's going to be next year before I'll have time to do it but an early spring trip could be very enjoyable.

Having a think the best thing I ever did was start a website and go through a process of trying to get venture funding for it. Had a great business experience that I'll never forget. Didn't get any money in the end but it was a hell of a lot of fun while we did it. It also ended up in me getting my current job which has worked out better than I ever could have imagined.

I can't really remember how much it cost in total. The main cost is fuel. It's about 500 miles each way from Oxford, plus however many laps you want to do. I'll try to list as many costs as I can:

Fuel: Depends on the cars MPG. 1000 miles total from Oxford (thats with driving to and from the campsite and 1 Lap). It's mostly motorway, so fuel economy should be good.

Currently 22 euros per lap (cheaper if you buy a load of laps at once).

Tunnel ticket: between £80 and £120 return. Thats per car, not person.

Hotel: couple of hundred euros?

European insurance/breakdown cover depends on insurer. I was entitled to free European insurance, I just had to let them know the dates. Can't remember how much extra I had to pay for breakdown cover. I don't remember it being a lot though.

It might be a good idea to get track day cover too. Although the 'ring is technically a public road ("derestricted toll road") and not a track, a lot of insurance companies are writing it into the contracts that they exclude the nurburgring or derestricted toll roads. Check your documents fine print. I couldn't see anything on mine so I chanced it. Bear in mind, it's VERY expensive if you crash. You have to pay to be recovered from the track (€185), pay for repairs to the barrier (not sure, but it's not cheap), pay for track closure time (€1350 per hour), safety car callout (€82 per half hour) and that's without your own stuff/trip home. Basically don't crash. When I was there, I saw a bike, a Peugeot 106 and a Starion come off on a lowloader. I assume they all crashed. Crashes happen a lot.

I reckon you do it for less than £500 for a weekend, maybe more depending on insurance etc. I think I took 800 euros and came back with about half. Although camping was something like €16 for the whole weekend.

I didn't do many laps though due to the leaky gearbox. I shouldn't have done any, they frown on leaks. I chanced it since the leak had stopped.

This site is helpful.

Edited by Goafer

I don't think I've had the greatest experience of my life yet, but some good ones I've had:

Tons of epic stuff happened in my class last year the absolute best incident would have to be when a kid inflated a condom like a balloon until it was about two feet long and half a foot thick then tied it. The teacher (this was an PE class that happened to be outside), thinking it was a balloon told the kid to go put it in the garbage. The kid tried to, but on his way the wind took it and it blew over top of the school. This condom ballon was hovering over the school for a good few minutes and we just about died of laughter. It was a be there moment though.

Another one would have to be going to Miami last year and just visiting various places in the area.

Another one would have to be going to a camp outside of Montreal Quebec a few years back. I was with a few friends and a few others the camp itself was fun, and spending an afternoon touring downtown Montreal was amazing. But the end topped it all off. We were awoken at 5am for a speech. We spent the day packing up and then went to watch the closing ceremonies. After that (11 pm) we took out our sleeping bags and slept until 12:45 am. Then we sat at the Bus stop for an hour until 2 am when we boarded the bus and left for the montreal airport. We arrived there at 3 am and waited a few hours before we checked in our luggage for our 10:30 flight. That was when we learned our flight had been canceled for maintenance. We went through security to meet a West Jet representative to try and get on a later flight. Unfortunately, the 2:00 flight was full so we had to wait for the 5:30 one. We re-checked out luggage and went back past security. After 9 hours in the Montreal airport we finally boarded out first plane. We had to change planes in Toronto and then we finally boarded the plane that would take us home. And to top it all of, THEY LOST MY LUGGAGE! And my friends luggage too. I think that was the most tired I had ever felt in my life, when I got home I slept in longer than I think I ever had. For some reason, I couldn't seem to sleep in the airport. I still have the family record for longest time spent in an airport at once. Although, my dad who used to travel frequently for business has a few better stories.

The most epic thing happened to me today, well, I though it was epic.

Basically I was at my sisters school summer faire today, and they had this coconut game thingie (You know, where you have to knock them off). So there are five coconuts lined up and you get six balls, after having a couple of goes throughout the day (They are pretty darn hard to knock off), I went back for one last try.

First ball = 1st coconut down

Second ball = 2nd coconut down

Third ball = 3rd coconut down

Fourth ball = 4th coconut down

Fifth ball = 5th coconut down

So I still had one ball left and no coconuts to knock down, so the stall person put another one up but dug the cocunut into the holder (you know to be funny and see if I could get it down)

I didn't manage the last one, but still hit it hard (Made a crack in it \o/ )

Seems pretty meh to most people, but I was proud of myself <3 (Was funny hearing the people behind me going "Wow" "Awesome" etc)

I've done many great things in life since I'm that awesome (ahum =P ), but one of them was meeting up with a stranger last summer and going on a trip with them. A three day trip to Paris and Disneylanddddd. Which actually turned into a one week thing because the Eurostar got cancelled due to fire. =P

Also, that stranger ended up turning into my boyfriend. X3

I didn't realise I was your Boyfriend? :o

Oh... you meant that other guy you went to Paris with. ;)

:p

As of yet I've done very little of note. I put grapes in my ice cubes today. :)

I've done many great things in life since I'm that awesome (ahum =P ), but one of them was meeting up with a stranger last summer and going on a trip with them. A three day trip to Paris and Disneylanddddd. Which actually turned into a one week thing because the Eurostar got cancelled due to fire. =P

If it wasn't for Disneyland, that would be a rather "aww"-inspiring little tale. :smile:

For me, it has to be going to Uni. It's been the best year of my life, by far!

I've done many great things in my time, i remember one being i didn't know my own strength and when some lads were taking the mick out of a late relative of mine, i somehow barged them through a locked door knocking it off the hinges.

I have told teachers and tutors they are useless and one particular one that a dog turd was more organised than he was (he kept saying there is a lot to do, then buggered off with the work)

I fell off my horse at a highschool (american) football game. It was right at the start and in front of everyone.

Oh wait....that's the opposite of this thread.

I graduated is the best so far I guess, although I can rival Jayseven's accomplishment. In class I threw a tiny piece of paper not bigger than like a penny across the room. As it's flying through the air, a girl who's back was to me, was engaged in conversation. Conversation involves hand gestures if you don't know. Well at that moment she held her hand out perfectly for the piece of paper to be caught.

It was pretty cool.

I fell off my horse at a highschool (american) football game. It was right at the start and in front of everyone.

Oh wait....that's the opposite of this thread.

I graduated is the best so far I guess, although I can rival Jayseven's accomplishment. In class I threw a tiny piece of paper not bigger than like a penny across the room. As it's flying through the air, a girl who's back was to me, was engaged in conversation. Conversation involves hand gestures if you don't know. Well at that moment she held her hand out perfectly for the piece of paper to be caught.

It was pretty cool.

Saw something like that a few years ago. I can't remember exactly what, but we were throwing some stuff through the classroom for fun, and one guy who was just sitting there, reading, suddenly raised his hand without taking his eyes from the book and caught whatever it was we were throwing. He looked up at his hand afterwards with amazement, having seemingly caught it on reflex without really thinking. 'Twas awesome.