N-Europe

Perfect Dark XBLA

Gizmo

I thought the controls were awesome, back in the day :D Using the c-left and c-right buttons to strafe for speed runs because strafing was slightly faster than running straight. I really got used to it. In fact it's a little bit of a worry that switching it to conventional dual analogue controls might take away some of the charm.

That's my concern too. I've got nothing to compare it too either. I don't know any single analogue games converted to dual analogue.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... the buildings look like... buildings now :p c'mon... anyone who's played the original knows what I'm talking about, the distant buildings looked like a mess even back in the day, so it's good to see the clear visual improvements from the very start. :)

Indeed they do.

The GoldenEye/Perfect Dark game engine already supports dual analogue. Although back in the day you needed two controllers to use it.

Course I forgot. I just tried it and it works feels fine, apart from the fact that it's on two controllers :p

• 2 weeks later...

That information is a bit unclear. It says "8 for matchmaking", and "matchmaking" usually refers to finding other players online...so are they saying that you can have parties of 8 for online games (so 16-player matches), with up to 4 on each Xbox (like Halo); or are they saying that you can have 8-player matches via system link?

There's some interesting titbits in the shots of the debug menu: the game has Avatar Awards and for some reason detects the presence of save files for both PDZ and Crackdown 2. That last bit might sound a bit out of the left field, but the people porting the game, 4J Studios, are only a floor up from Ruffian in Dundee so I assume that's how the link came about.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair Microsoft do like to hold onto finished games. My understanding is that Darwinia+ has been done for ages but the developer has little say in when their games get released due to MS wanting to manage the flow of releases.

I imagine Perfect Dark is pretty much wrapped up and ready to go, you just won't see it until Microsoft think it'll make a bit of a splash. I'd peg February 17th as a likely date as it's in the relative quiet between Mass Effect 2/BioShock 2 and the likes of Bad Company 2 and FFXIII in early March.

I believe Darwinia+ was rejected (due to bugs or something) and needed some more doing to it before it was re-submitted to Microsoft.

Rare should be able to avoid a lot of the certification or whatever as it's a Microsoft-published game.

Maybe 22 May, the 10 year anniversary for the original.

In America maybe... in the UK the game came out on June 30th... I know this because I got my copy a day early from my local independent retailer at the time on June 29th - my Birthday - anyway I reckon it'll be out by the end of this month with any luck.

• 3 weeks later...