NEurope
Gizmo

Perfect Dark XBLA

Didn't see this anywhere until now, but Major Nelson just sent this on Twitter (sigh)

majornelson:In the booth. Just saw Perfect Dark on XBLA running 1080p. It is coming to XBLA this winter. Free theme coming tomorrow!

Now I never played Perfect Dark on the N64, but I did play Goldeneye so I think I shall have to pick it up on XBLA to see what the fuss is all about!

It was a great game back in the day! It was an advanced goldeneye with loads more modes and options. I spent hours and hours on this playing with my mates n by myself. (although nothing can beat goldeneye in terms of originality IMO :grin:)

I may buy this again when it comes out on XBLA, i shall decide nearer the time!

Technical advancements may make this game unplayable now. Would be amazing if they used the tech from that Goldeneye remake, though.

Technical advancements may make this game unplayable now. Would be amazing if they used the tech from that Goldeneye remake, though.

I played it recently - it still felt incredibly fresh. It may be nostalgia, but for me if it's still very playable on the N64 (which GoldenEye isn't) then it should be fine with a better controller and clearer graphics. Hopefully they don't forget to make the multiplayer online.

I really, really can't wait! My favourite n64 game! Wasted so many hours on it it's unbelievable :D

I played it recently - it still felt incredibly fresh. It may be nostalgia, but for me if it's still very playable on the N64 (which GoldenEye isn't) then it should be fine with a better controller and clearer graphics. Hopefully they don't forget to make the multiplayer online.

Well you're not the only one who thinks that. This is a must have for me.

I just don't wanna deal with the framerate. Pretty shoddy even then (about 25-30) but against today's 60fps standards, I think it'll only come off badly.

Still, quality game in it's day. It was very forward thinking- especially in multiplayer and weapon design. The latter of which I still don't consider to be surpassed in variety or ingenuity.

Would they really up it to 1080p while keeping the sucky framerate of the N64 version though? I'm hoping not.

Surely the framerate will be improved too if it can? was Banjo-Kazooie / Tooie's framerate improved? because those both ran fine on XBLA so hopefully this will too.

Edit - seems it is... copied this from the marketplace section...

'Agent Joanna Dark hit the ground running in Perfect Dark, an epic tale of galactic conspiracies in 2023 America. Now this classic shooter is coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade, rendered in greater definition and detail and sporting a silkier framerate than ever before. Fire up your Farsight and prepare for assignment-- the Dark returns this winter.'

Edited by S.C.G

Shit... hot! It was obvious it was coming, but it's nice to have a date and to see it. Multiplayer amazing-ness!

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see they gave it the 007 treatment of higher-res textures and frame rate fix. I wonder if this will have all the features, such as single player co-op. Also, any kind of date for when Natal drops? This game did have a feature for the GameBoy Camera to map your face for your character in multiplayer, but was removed because of Nintendo didn't like the idea of shooting your friend in the face in a game... Natal could fit that, and Rare has been said to be working on different Natal projects and one of the leading developers for testing. But I guess that's just a fanboy dream. A very wet one.

EDIT 2: Maybe we can play as our Avatars, lolololol.

EDITLA: Seriously excited for this now. Maybe if this does well then Microsoft will throw enough money at Activition (or whoever had that Bond license) to ignore Nintendo's request for the GoldenEye remake to be halted.

Edited by Wesley

Shit... hot! It was obvious it was coming, but it's nice to have a date and to see it. Multiplayer amazing-ness!

Online multiplayer. :)

14ik0zm.jpg

Well that was a given. If it didn't have it then... I dunno, I guess I would of bought it.

Yay! It would be even more awesome if both Co-op and the main multiplayer mode were both online.

Oh shit man, PD XBLA. Dan's been raving about it but I never saw the thread, I never dared to believe ;_;

I never did get past ranking 4: Elite on the N64 multiplayer, maybe I can get to 1 this time...

This is going to be amazing!!! Sold! :grin:

Also, what's this I hear about a release date? When's it due out? I haven't seen one yet. :/

EDIT: Ooooh, Winter. I thought there was a solid date, or something...

EDIT: Also, it's nice to see they gave it the 007 treatment of higher-res textures and frame rate fix. I wonder if this will have all the features, such as single player co-op. Also, any kind of date for when Natal drops? This game did have a feature for the GameBoy Camera to map your face for your character in multiplayer, but was removed because of Nintendo didn't like the idea of shooting your friend in the face in a game... Natal could fit that, and Rare has been said to be working on different Natal projects and one of the leading developers for testing. But I guess that's just a fanboy dream. A very wet one.

EDIT 2: Maybe we can play as our Avatars, lolololol.

EDITLA: Seriously excited for this now. Maybe if this does well then Microsoft will throw enough money at Activition (or whoever had that Bond license) to ignore Nintendo's request for the GoldenEye remake to be halted.

Surely the XBL Vision Camera would be sufficient to do that?

Hmm I think the ability to scan your face and put it in the game may be there, looks like they have allready done it tbh, look at the screen that has one of Cassandra's body guards...

simPerfectDark00.jpg

I'm sure their faces didn't look like that before... looks like they've mapped a different head onto the body. :blank:

Heres a pic from the original N64 version for great justice!

gfs_27982_2_4.jpg

See? :heh: right I'm calling it, the camera face-mapping is in the XBLA version.

Edited by S.C.G

No! I called it! *screams*

We have to have KNEE matches! We have to!

No! I called it! *screams*

I'm not talking about using Natal to do it though, face-mapping could be done with the exisiting Vision camera, all I'm basically saying is I'm calling the fact that it's already in this version due to the odd face that's been mapped onto the body of one of the enemies, you still get credit for initially mentioning if they will put it in the game or not. :)

Basically I'm convinced it's already been implemented.

Also hell yeah, we should definitely have us some KNEE matches on this! :D

I'm not too sure though, it could just be a new high-res texture that doesn't look the same as the old. GoldenEye looked like that too. This is just a nice fanboy dream.

Anyway, I can't wait to shoot you all in the face with my Farsight!

Yeah but, the face of that guard looks like they've taken a picture of some Japanese guy and mapped it onto the female body of one of Cassandra's bodyguards, it just looks a bit... wrong lol. :blank:

This. I agree with this. I'm deffinitely up for it!! :grin: I loved Perfect Dark multiplayer, but only got to play it when I was at my cousin's house, as I never had an N64.