Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid: Other M

Retro_Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The huge changes mainly stem from the fact that Retro tried their own Samus look, then with Zero Mission the Japanese team went with that now familiar Zero-suit Samus look and then Retro made sure to tie in with the Japanese team's art.

I wonder if the new heels were Team Ninja's idea, to sexualise the character more.

Have they gave her a mole in that new design? :wtf:

The best design has to be the original Prime model, it looks very natural, but the rest are an absolute joke. The character models faces are all butt ugly and the Prime 2 version make her look like a guy in drag. Maybe the person in the suit is a bloke after all! :D

^ I wouldn't go that far but without a doubt the Samus model used in the first Prime was one of the best and is bettered only by...

Metroid_Samus_Aran_No_Suit.png

Oh yeah! check out those pixels... daaaaamn! 8-bit Samus was hawt! :p

I'll never understand why people like the Prime 1 model so much. :/ She looks too "Americanised" for me in it somehow, I don't know. I'm hardly some Japanophile/Weeaboo type though who wants everyone to look Asian, but I don't think that look fits Samus for me.

I like the approach they're taking in Other M the most with her look and "feel" because I like the idea that she's an isolated weirdo who has difficulty communicating with others, makes the most sense for her character. Also, I don't see why the mole bothers anyone, moles do form randomly on people and this is the most "up to date" game bar Fusion.

Metroid Market Push

The Metroid franchise makes a dramatic return next month and is backed by a substantial marketing spend.

Nintendo is preparing extensive promotions to ensure the upcoming Wii title Metroid: Other M matches

the success of its acclaimed predecessors when it hits shelves on September 3rd.

The build-up to the game’s launch will begin with a high-impact TV campaign.

This kicks off two weeks before Other M’s release and will run for a full month across a range of terrestrial and satellite channels.

A complementary online campaign will coincide with the TV activity, with various banners and other rich media ads running across selected gaming destinations.

These marketing initiatives will also appear on carefully targeted sci-fi sites in order to spread the game’s appeal among a relevant audience and drive wider awareness of Other M’s arrival.

Samus will even appear on the silver screen, with trailers for her latest outing showing before blockbuster action movies throughout September. These will run in cinemas across the nation.

Finally, a range of eye-catching POS materials will be available around the time of the game’s release.

Metroid: Other M marks a new direction for the series, thanks to its blend of third-person and first-person gameplay and developer Team Ninja’s stronger focus on narrative.

It is the first title in a range of strong end-of-year releases from Nintendo, preceding the likes of the latest Professor Layton, Wii Party and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

“Metroid: Other M caters to fans of the Metroid series as well as being an ideal entry point for newcomers,” said Nintendo’s marketing assistant Roger Langford.

“The unique gameplay mechanic offers a new and exciting experience for everyone, and the game gives players the first truly in-depth look into the lead character Samus Aran.”

Artwork for UK Nintendo Magazine.

Metroid_Prime_by_geodex.jpg

Zero_Suit_by_geodex.jpg

Not used

Other_M_by_geodex.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

I know it's really trivial but why would a bounty hunter have hair hanging in her face, obstructing her vision?

Also I think she looks far too "girly" to be a bounty hunter, which is probably mainly due to her haircut...

More importantly no one would ever choose platform heels to go into battle with!

I found this over on Gamefaqs, its ONMs thoughts on the game in their newest podcast.

They've played through a large portion of the game, but still haven't completed it yet. They said "it was everything you'd expect from a Metroid game, and then a couple of other things on top of it."

* Overall, the game is "gorgeous" and "absolutely enormous."

* Some of the small new gameplay twists like the over-the-shoulder segments are a bit "strange" and "don't work that well."

* Samus moves fantastically and there are lots of items to find, with plenty of morphballing navigation etc.

* The game has "massive maps to explore."

* Some of the music in the game is a "bit odd."

* They said for those unsure, that the "dialogue is a bit cheesy at times" but it's "a great story" and should make up for any of those details.

* While it can slow the game down a bit, for the purpose of exploring for clues or items, they said that the first person "works really well" (and e.g., works better than Prime Pinball).

* Fans may question the developer's choices here and there, but overall, they are going to enjoy it.

Iwata Asks: Metroid: Other M

mainimg1.jpg

Kitaura

As you can imagine, we needed someone with a sense of angles and camerawork for the battle scenes, so we were really lucky that he could do it for us.

Iwata

What was Sakamoto-san like in the studio?

Kitaura

He stood close to me, checking the monitors. When we'd shoot a particularly moving scene, I'd ask him 'How was that, Sakamoto-san?', but he'd be completely silent - again.

Iwata

Just like when he saw the storyboards for the first time?

Kitaura

Yes! (laughs) I was really worried, thinking 'Oh no, he doesn't like it...', but then when I peeked at his face, his eyes were full of tears.

Iwata

Oh my...

Kitaura

Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights. (laughs)

All

(laughter)

Sakamoto

Yeah... But weren't you crying as well, Kitaura-san?

Kitaura

Well, your tears were infectious, Sakamoto-san! (laughs)

Edited by Dante

I've never been a great fan of the Metroid series but it didn't stop me from playing through Super Metroid as a kid and Metroid Prime 1+2 on the Cube. While playing through them I never really took notice of the story or really what was going on but I thought I would have picked up on this little fact that I read in this months ONM.

In the mag they said that Metroid was influenced by Alien and looking at the facts they spread out its pretty obvious. Both have female lead characters, Metroids are pretty much Facehuggers when they attack, the space setting and then the fact that one of the main enemies on the series is called Ridley who is named after the director of Alien, Ridley Scott!

Now im sure most people on here knew all of this already but it blew my mind when I read it.

I was reading ONMs preview and here are the negative things they have said about Other M. I'll put it in a quote box even though im just writing a summary.

They say that the perspective switching isn't that great. They said they like it but don't love it. They said there was a few times they failed a section because of the actual controls and not due to their own ability.

They aren't a fan of the energy system. In the old games you picked up health drops but having to hold the wiimote up and hold A for a few seconds doesn't really work. Its fine when they is no one around but trying to do this in a boss fight is a nightmare and you can only do it when you have less than 20 health.

They had this problem when fighting a boss only to die and then respawn at the start of the battle with just 1 heatlh tank, where the cycle kept repeating itself.

They aren't a fan of the over the shoulder sections either. They say it jars with the rest of the games pace and the controls don't work well for it.

Lastly they say the music is disappointing. They said its so minimalistic that it's barely there and alot of the time there is nothing but silence.

Theres are the niggles they mention but the preview itself seems very positive. They say the game will take about 15 hours to beat on your first run and it has one of the most memorbale settings ever seen in a Metroid game.

Now im sure most people on here knew all of this already but it blew my mind when I read it.

And she strips off at the end. ;)

They aren't a fan of the energy system. In the old games you picked up health drops but having to hold the wiimote up and hold A for a few seconds doesn't really work. Its fine when they is no one around but trying to do this in a boss fight is a nightmare and you can only do it when you have less than 20 health.

No health drops? Crazy.

I'm looking forward to this game. I don't think it's going to be the next Metroid Prime, but I do think it'll swing Metroid back in a certain direction. The perfect Metroid will probably arrive in a later generation, and mix the best aspects of the two.

super metroid says hi.

I meant perfect for its generation. There are plenty of Metroid games that are perfect enough for their generation and machine - Super Metroid, Prime, Zero Mission - but I think Other M is going to be more of an experiment.

I am starting to expect this to be around an 8.0.

I agree that after three (brilliant) first person games, its time for a change. But its a shame that the controls weren't high on Team Ninjas priorities - the Wii D-pad just isn't great at the best of times (I recall saying way back when Nunchuck control would be a nice addition), the lack of movement in first person mode just seems completely retarded especially the swing at the screen thing (seems every time you need FP mode, you're having to totally relocte your hand on the remote). I think these will prove pretty big hits on the score; lets hope it sells well enough to keep the franchise on Nintendo's 'to do' list.

That said, its Metroid so essential for me.

GameInformers 13 Things You Should Know About Metroid: Other M

Nintendo's latest Metroid game brings a lot of big changes to the long-running series. To help prepare you for its August 31 release, we created this rundown of the 13 most important things you should know about Metroid: Other M.

1. Story. Story. Story.

The Metroid series has largely been about isolation; it's always been Samus versus hostile environments, not really other humans or her emotions. Metroid: Other M is the exact opposite; Samus teams up with a group of soldiers who are in constant communication with her. Truth be told, getting to know Samus on a personal level is a bit weird. She's emotional, she's hard-edged, she has skeletons in her closet, and for the first time, she's a fully fleshed-out character. Her interaction with the soldiers can best be compared to Ripley interacting with the jarheads in Aliens. She doesn't quite fit in.

2. A Big Mystery

As Samus is thrust into the spotlight, questions begin to pop up related to what's happening on the ship she's exploring. Revealing even the breadcrumbs would spoil the game, but let me just say that her past is an important part of this tale.

3. A Touch Of Final Fantasy

Metroid: Other M's story is told in myriad ways. Some of the plot progression is handled through cutscenes using in-game graphics. Other times it is conveyed verbally as you are playing (a la BioShock). When big events take place, players are treated to CG cinematics that amplify the connection made to the characters in the world and showcase high production values and skillful artistic design. Much like Final Fantasy, most of these sequences act as rewards after difficult boss fights.

4. Bosses Everywhere

A large portion of Metroid: Other M's action is dedicated to boss fights. Some of these fights are recycled (with different conditions upping the difficulty), but most of the encounters are unique. The rate to which they pop up is surprisingly high. After toppling one boss, I encountered another minutes later after exploring just three rooms. Some of these bosses fall under the "mini-boss" designation, as they become standard enemies later, but the first time you fight them, they put your skills to the test. Larger bosses are not as frequent, and usually confront Samus at the end of a section. These bigger opponents have health meters (whereas the other bosses don't), and most offer different attack and defense phases.

5. Secrets Galore

Although all hidden power-ups are denoted on the map with a flashing blue icon, the path to finding them can be more difficult to locate, even in the narrowest of hallways. Most of the environments are loaded with geometry and tiny details. Finding a grate to bomb or a thin wall often requires careful examination from the first-person perspective (which is triggered by pointing the Wii remote directly at the screen).

6. Powers Are Locked

Samus starts the game with all of her powers unlocked, but unlike other games, she doesn't actually lose them. Instead, in a plot twist I still can't wrap my brain around, one of her comrades locks most of the powers on her suit for the safety of the others around her and the ship. They can only be reactivated when this particular character gives the order.

7. Ammo No Longer Needed

This is a strange change. If Samus' missiles are depleted, she no longer needs to hunt enemies and loot their bodies for ammo. Instead, the player simply has to point the remote upward while holding down the A button. This motion activates the "concentration" move, which magically refills Samus' missile stock. This technique can also be used to regain health later in the game.

8. No Aiming While Moving

If you want full control over where your shots are fired, you're going to have to give up control of Samus, as she cannot move while in first-person mode. In the third-person perspective, heavy aim assist targets foes, but you have no real control over who is targeted.

9. Weird Small Creature

One of the most puzzling encounters in this adventure is a small woodland-like critter that reappears when you'd least expect to see it again. What is this creature? What purpose does it serve? Why is Samus fascinated by it? Consider it another mystery pushing you forward.

10. Samus Always Gives "Thumbs Down" During Mission Briefings

And you'll see it firsthand when you play the game. A row of soldiers all giving thumbs up. Samus is giving a thumbs down. Since when did military start giving reviews of mission briefings anyways?

11. Platforming Is A Major Component

I can't talk about most of Samus' abilities at this point, but many of them are used for environmental navigation. Unlike Team Ninja's Ninja Gaiden series, many environments are designed with extensive platforming in mind.

12. Samus' Connection With Metroids

The opening cutscene in the game is a flashback to Super Metroid that sets the tone for Samus' melancholy emotions toward the Metroid race and its apparent extinction. Expect the topic of Metroids and what happened to them to come up again and again in her internal monologue.

13. Close Quarters Combat

Many of the larger opponents collapse or are otherwise stunned after taking a certain amount of damage. This allows Samus to get in close for an often brutal attack that does more damage or even finishes some bad guys off for good. Whether she's placing her blaster directly to an enemy's head or whipping them against the wall, these moves bring some of the stylish action of the Ninja Gaiden games to the Metroid franchise.

New gameplay trailer.

^ I found that trailer to be awesome and somewhat jarring simultaneously...

While it's great to see the return of the grapple beam, speed dash etc and some nicely detailed environments such as the fire and ice sections, wtf is up with - what is presumably - Ridley? shown at the start and end of the trailer, plus the einvironment/awkwardness at those parts, it's like, theres Samus running into a field? and there are the other troopers standing there gormlessly and then all of a sudden... omfgit'sridleyjumpingonsamushai...

And then the trailer ends... it just feels awkward. :/

Edited by S.C.G
Automerged Doublepost

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!