Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Retro_Link

6 hours for a side scroller doesn't seem that long at all.

thats more than normal. Bare in mind that he rushed through gathering no secrets or anything. gathering the secrets take a whole lot longer and from what we have heard. This game's reward for the secrets will be totally worth it :)

I think 6 hours wouldve been quite reasonable if the game took its que from Mario World or 3. NSMB on DS wasn't rammed full of secrets and new levels; nso 6hours seems really disappointing. for me (length was my main issue with the DS version and it seems it'll be mirrored in the Wii version... but then again,Nintendo could release a Mario game 100 years in length and i would still complain it wasn't long enough)

some choice quotes from edge that I copied from gonintendo.

"Mario and his chums feel superimposed, like cut-outs from another game, hastily inserted."

"There's the question of the chicken and egg here: did Nintendo realise the game wasn't special and so throw in a feature to disguise its banality? That it's hard to tell says a lot about the level design and how apposite multiplayer eventually feels."

"It's certainly chaotic - and hilarious."

"Should you tire of rubbing your friend's noses in the dirt, and actually decide to complete the levels, then cautious alliances are required. After a couple of hours sadistically scuffling for coins, the atmosphere turns to muted, pensive co-ordination. Level progress slows to a methodical, sometimes even tedious, pace. Environments that would be facile in single player are rendered uncharacteristically stodgy by the need to chaperone a group through them. It's telling that surviving players opt not to release reincarnated teammates from their bubbles until tricky platforming has been complete."

"The levels are largely contrary to the game's multiplayer purposes, and the knockabout jollity of such an awkward reappropriation of design only last so long."

"NSMB Wii works as a pick-and-mix of multiplayer silliness which you will dip into on occasion with various groups of friends - Mario as designed by Wario, perhaps. That has its place, no doubt. But those looking for brilliance of invention in the Mushroom Kingdom might wait for the architects of Galaxy 2 to put their plans into action."

Why what's wrong with it?

I really like the GT Bonusround.

I usually do but this weeks episode was a joke. They basically have MW2 down as the second coming yet I bet the single player part of the game isnt half as fun as what NSMBWii will be. The guy in the middle then complains that he wants Zelda ( Spirit Tracks says hi ) and then says theres nothing for the core gamer on the Wii this Christmas. I think over in Europe NSMBWii, Boy and His Blob, Tales of Symphonia, Muramasa, Rabbids Go Home, Dragonball, Resident Evil beg to differ.

When did CoD become such a hardcore title anyway? Its very much a casual game now in the same way that GTA was on the PS2.

I usually do but this weeks episode was a joke. They basically have MW2 down as the second coming yet I bet the single player part of the game isnt half as fun as what NSMBWii will be. The guy in the middle then complains that he wants Zelda ( Spirit Tracks says hi ) and then says theres nothing for the core gamer on the Wii this Christmas. I think over in Europe NSMBWii, Boy and His Blob, Tales of Symphonia, Muramasa, Rabbids Go Home, Dragonball, Resident Evil beg to differ.

When did CoD become such a hardcore title anyway? Its very much a casual game now in the same way that GTA was on the PS2.

If spirit trackers is going to be as dumbed down as the last DS Zelda, it most definately won't be a core experience; infact they've said several times that it's aimed for everyone to play so I'm not expecting any miracles with this one. Would totally love a game like Oracle of Seasons/Ages or even Minish Cap but i doubt we'll see a Zelda like that again.

And tbf there isn't much for the core at all. Resident Evil is a on-rails shooter, a genre which has been done to death on Wii and it's not even a big genre anyway last time I checked. Tales was made by the B team at Namco and since when on earth has dragonball been a core title? Surely that's a title for dragonball fans more so that the type of Zelda/Metroid gamer? Just a thought. That said Nintendo are gonna make some big money this xmas especially with Wii Fit Plus coming out; wouldn't be surprised to see some massive sales for that.

I'm looking forward to NSMBWii, it should be a quality game despite what i've heard about the pace sometimes slowing down as you all try and navigate through a level but hey that was always going to happen. Kind of annoying they're keeping so many of the DS versions music tracks considering how bad the music on that game was but that's the only thing i can fault really (apart from the lack of online which is laughable). I can imagine some great times at uni playing it.

Spirit Tracks isnt exactly Links Crossbow Training is a fully fleshed out Zelda adventure game which is always a good thing. The likes of Minish Cap and Wind Waker were very easy but people didnt really complain, PH arrives and its the end of the world because its easy and you have to use a stylus!

As for the rest of you points about the other games thats fair enough, its how you feel. When it comes to my gaming experiences this Christmas my Wii will be getting played more than my 360 and PS3 thats for certain.

Spirit Tracks isnt exactly Links Crossbow Training is a fully fleshed out Zelda adventure game which is always a good thing. The likes of Minish Cap and Wind Waker were very easy but people didnt really complain, PH arrives and its the end of the world because its easy and you have to use a stylus!

As for the rest of you points about the other games thats fair enough, its how you feel. When it comes to my gaming experiences this Christmas my Wii will be getting played more than my 360 and PS3 thats for certain.

It wasn't the stylus thing tbh it was more the fact that the dungeons were poorly designed, the enemies rarely attacked you and were rather weak, and they kept reusing that same dungeon. You second paragraph is interesting though considering there's some good games out this xmas on 360. I don't really have time for gaming atm because i've hit Uni and have a pretty full week but i'm def gonna check out NSMBWii, Forza 3, Gay Tony and MW2. That'll probably be it for me until summer :(

Phantom Hourglass was amazing!

Totally agree. Its a great example of Nintendo managing to blend a core experience with accessibility. Just because a game is accessible, doesn't mean its a dumbed down experience.

I've played every single Zelda, even the shit one on the CDi...

There had to be one. ;)

Talking about core Nintendo games being made more accessible sort of relates to NSMBW.

In all honesty I didn't like PH that much compared to other Zelda games. But not because it was made more accessible. I've never been a big fan of stealth, or time limits, and having the game based around a dungeon where you basically have to sneak through an area before time runs out just doesn't agree with me that much. That's down to personal preference though. The other thing I didn't like was the lack of exploration. There wasn't a huge world to look around in for hidden items (I'm not going to count the sunken chests). It was just small areas you could barely explore in. Aside from that though, the game was good. The controls were perfect, and the game has some of my favorite bosses ever. I really need to get around to finishing it one of these days, the temple of the ocean king bit I'm at just makes the game really unattractive at the moment.

Because it's a Zelda thread

I'm so glad I know you're joking.

Well... I actually just assume that you're joking because if not... well let's just say you should certainly check what you click next time or you may end up marrying a thai woman then accidentally sponsoring a child in afghanistan.

But that doesn't matter 'cause you are joking!

Right?

Phantom Hourglass: a decent fun Zelda game, but in my opinion the worst Zelda Nintendo/Capcom have ever made.

6 items, with only a handful of new ones. No heart containers, no wallet upgrades. Redoing the same dungeon over and over, linear uninspiring dungeons and an art style that really wasn't that nice.

In their obsession with making it 3D, the art design went basic and horrible. Compare that to classic 2D Zelda with lovely details and gorgeous visuals like in the Minish Cap.

It was ok, but extremely Zelda Lite. Totally targetting the non-hardcore group.

Anyway, sorry to drag this more OT. All only my opinions obviously.

Edited by Ronnie

Well played this today and still stick by what I've said before...its not for me...

I would primarly be playing this game as a single player experience and in that respect it really doesn't seem inspired. Me and mike played multiplayer together and had fun, but it was somewhat a mixed bags. Sometimes we would just bumble into each other and the way things work with regards to how you react to each other can be just plain frustrating making you feel like the multiplayer hook was almost an after thought or just an extra they thought they'd bung in. However other times when you expertly nudge someone to their death feels inspired and you think wow why hasn't this been in Mario before?!

Love that the Koopa kids are back though! Finally the level design didn't feel particularly inspired but standard fare...