NEurope
Tellyn

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - What now?

"Leave it to me."

The brilliant, determined phrase uttered by Miyamoto-san at E3 2008, offering solace to forum-users who were left running around in circles and threatening to sell their entire collection of Nintendo consoles and software on eBay after Nintendo's keynote speech.

Not only was it confirmed that the Zelda and Mario teams were hard at work on new games, but Mr. Mario himself gave us word that Super Mario Galaxy 2 would possibly be on the way.

Galaxy is one of my favourite games ever, no doubt about it. The majority of the gaming press felt the same, and for a brief amount of time it sat pretty on the top of Gamesrankings and Metacritic, before dropping down a couple of places.

But how do you think Shigsy could possibly make a sequel feel just as fresh, exciting and innovative as its predecessor? In other words, what would you like to see in a sequel?

Edited by Tellyn

A direct sequel might not seem as fresh but to be honest, more of the same would do me. There's still a lot they can do with it seeing as each level can literally be anything.

Guns. Lots of guns.

But seriously, I would like to see a Mario game with a deeper story set in the Mushroom Kingdom. I liked the whole Mario Imposter story behind Sunshine. Something along those lines would be good. It's difficult thinking of a way to top Galaxy, that's for sure.

I'm 99% certain we are somehow going to be given more galaxies to explore?! Maybe a spin-off game where Mario goes back in space and we search more galaxies or something downloadable on wiiware or a update? you never know....wishful thinking maybe?

i always dreamed of a mario game where he becomes really strong or transforms into super mario and do battle with powerfull koopas :P

with his famous fighting skills :P

but then again i dont see that happen

They should make a Mario and Sonic game.

One of the problems with the latter's games is that the enjoyable, speedy levels are always padded out with absolute tosh to stop the game being 2 hours long. So, rather than Sega sending out another Werehog to defile the emaciated remnants of your childhood memories we could have the best platformer around interspersed with faster sections to break things up; instead of flying between planetoids you could have a short on-rails sprinting section as Sonic.

As for the meat of the game, the bite-sized gameplay of Galaxy and Sunshine's void levels seem to work best although I am a fan of expansive, explorable hub worlds. Oh, and each galaxy should have a semi-abstract theme behind it rather than a visual motif; have one based around time mechanics for some Braid-esque craziness, or one based around music or sight — think Echochrome for that last one. Keep things as fresh as Galaxy did, basically.

Of course the game would sell millions on the box art alone.

I loved Mario Galaxy, but I'm not sure I want a sequel. Its a pretty unique experience and I doubt they can replicate it in fresh way again. I'd be all over it like always but they should have different priorities as to what games need to be made.

Bewbs. Lots and lots of bewbs.

No but seriously, I agree with Serebii. Different physics etc. More/Some Yoshi. Supporting playing characters.

I'd be all over it like always but they should have different priorities as to what games need to be made.
Yeah I agree.

I wouldn't say no to a sequel, but I'd much rather they put their efforts into so many of their other franchises they've yet to bring to the Wii.

We don't really need another Mario platformer for another couple of years!

They should make a Mario and Sonic game.

11b6d_wintermario.jpg

Hi :heh:

That's all it should be, leave Mario and Sonic there.

But in all seriousness, it's hard to think what they could do next, perhaps it's going to be like what Mario 64 was to Sunshine.....Jetpack for Mario anyone? :laughing:

Back to the roots.

I loved Mario 64, and a game with more open worlds and an ability to find other stars than the one you originally set out to get.

They should make it harder, make the planets bigger with only a couple of them being small. Multiple paths in one world like Sunshine for some levels.

Basically I want more of the proper platform levels like you got in 64 and the non-fludd sunshine.

Here we go:

-Make the game less linear.

-Get rid of those bloody comets which were just annoying and made the game seemed slightly rushed.

-Don't have similar levels (Gold Leaf galaxy anyone?).

-Use gravity WAY more. I mean, i just drool at the thought of having to long jump of a planet, get into the gravitational field of another planet and using that planets momentum to throw you into the path of another planets gravitational field...*comes*

-Make the game less easy.

Oh btw. I adore Galaxy. it's the only game i've ever played that makes me smile as I play it, no joke.

Physics based puzzles, and a really good interesting hub world, or an open world, sort of like a metroid game almost. Only you have to search the world for stars rather than pickups. Perhaps you could even get upgrades like a fireflower as the game progresses.

I hope and think the next game will not be a direct sequel. It's not Nintendo's tradition to do that with their two main series, Mario platformers and Zelda.

It would be cool with a 2D/3D hybrid. Super Paper Mario had some interesting ideas.

I demand a return of the Koopa Kids!

They're dead son, you fooking killed them!

Bewbs. Lots and lots of bewbs.

No but seriously, I agree with Serebii. Different physics etc. More/Some Yoshi. Supporting playing characters.

Candy Kong = the bewbs you yearn.

Supporting characters = the rest of the (pre-DK 64) Kongs!

Lol! :laughing:

They came back after Mario 3 so they can do it again!

They came back after Mario 3 so they can do it again!

YES!!!!!

I want baby bowser to fuck off.

Realistically to make it "fresh" again they sort of have to take a few steps back from space and spherical gameplay and look at how to change the core gameplay in a new and exciting way. Galaxy might be the "ultimate" evolution of platforming design but that doesn't mean the games have to adhere to that design from now on, they could still be good and fresh in other ways. Miyamoto said he still felt they were pretty "safe" with the actual platforming in Galaxy, though they went crazy with the level designs themselves.

Here we go:

-Make the game less linear.

I know I'll get shot down for this but I actually really liked the fact that it was quite a linear game - sometimes it's confusing when you have so much to do! Having just a set task and a good overview at the beginning of each one made me aware of what my goals were and made me think how I should go about achieving them!

-Harder

-Harder

-Harder

-Harder

-Harder

And... that's about it