NEurope
Hero-of-Time

A Boy And His Blob

That does look seriously awesome. :)

I think it may be the first time I've seen it in motion. Its very pretty. :heh:

Nintendo Power Review - 8.5

They spend a lot of time talking about how beautiful and atmospheric the game is. Can't really summarize this, because I wouldn't do it justice. They also praise the enchanting musical score that further helps set the mood. They describe it as a "cartoon come to life." They refer to the game as refreshing and that it feels like unlike anything else released in the last 20 years. They love the concept of feeding a blob jelly beans to transform it into useful tools. There's no life meter, no lives counter, no level names, no voiceovers, no script, no dialogue and no savescreen (it autosaves).

This could be detrimental in some games, but in BaHB, it works because the story is convincingly told through its beautiful animation.

They compare the relationship between the blob with the relationship of Yorda and the protagonist in ICO for PS2. Another word they use to describe the game is challenging. The game has 80 levels and finding all the hidden treasures and conquering the bonus levels is no easy task. The final word they use to describe the game is fun.

Edited by Dante

Might end up getting this, not bought a wii game for a while now, sort of playing Deadly Creatures the controls are annoying :nono:

7.6 from Matt Cassamassina at IGN.

Closing Comments

A Boy and His Blob is a fun and oftentimes beautiful 2D puzzle platformer that complements other Wii efforts like Muramasa and New Super Mario Bros. very nicely. I love the hand-drawn presentation and brain-teasing challenges, all of which revolve around the blob's 15 unique transformational abilities. And some of the run and jump obstacles and boss fights are entertaining, too. That said, I don't like the die-and-retry nature of the level designs, the overly complex control scheme, WayForward's decision to ignore all Wii remote functionality, and the jarring load times between and in levels. Despite its shortcomings, Blob's got charm and style, so if you consider yourself a fan of 2D games, you'll want to check this one out, especially since it's $10 cheaper than your average Wii purchase.

7.6? Oh man, I was really looking forward to this. That being said, I'll wait for more reviews to roll in before coming to any conclusions.

Play.com are offering 6 exclusive Postcards if you order with them.

11123866l.jpg

Oooooh, those look nice. I was already interested in getting the game at some point but now I'm tempted even more haha.

Now that I'm earning a few pence here and there, I'm going to put aside some money towards Wii games. This is one of them, it needs my cash.

Ah I'm gonna have to start putting some money aside for that pre-order, since I now really want those cards but wasn't actually planning on buying the game when it came out haha. Darn you Play, your evil scheme worked.

Judging from the lack of bumping I guess no one else picked this up? Criminal!

I have just started it this morning and im already in love with it. It has to be one of the most charming and relaxing games not just on the Wii but on any console. The art style used is fantastic and it goes to show that 2D gaming when done right can still outdo 3D games in terms of visuals. The animation used on the enemies and the boy are also top notch which help bring this 2D world alive. Add into the mix a very touching and soothing soundtrack and you have an amazing game on your hands.

I can see this bombing at retail but having a cult status much like DeBlob. I cant praise the game enough and I know a few members who would love it.;)

*points finger at Dazzy, Tapedeck, RedShell, Darksnowman and Flinky*

Judging from the lack of bumping I guess no one else picked this up? Criminal!

I have just started it this morning and im already in love with it. It has to be one of the most charming and relaxing games not just on the Wii but on any console. The art style used is fantastic and it goes to show that 2D gaming when done right can still outdo 3D games in terms of visuals. The animation used on the enemies and the boy are also top notch which help bring this 2D world alive. Add into the mix a very touching and soothing soundtrack and you have an amazing game on your hands.

I can see this bombing at retail but having a cult status much like DeBlob. I cant praise the game enough and I know a few members who would love it.;)

I also picked this up, and while I've played it very little due to other commitments I can tell it's going to be great. The art style is up there with the best on Wii and it's a great tribute to some of the great 2D platformers of the past. Can't wait to get some free time and sink my teeth into it but I urge everyone to pick it up, especially if you're a fan of 2D gaming.

Good man, Nick!

Ive just finished the first world ( 10 levels ) getting all the treasure while I was at it. One of them took me a while to figure out how to get, it was in a swamp level and it involved using the ladder bean. It was simple when I thought about it which is usually the case in these types of games :)

I had my first boss fight which was great. I wont spoil what it was but it made you put your beans to good use. After the fight I thought there was a cutscene but I was in control and this tiny little scene is FANTASTIC! I just stood there for 2 minutes listening to the music and looking at the scenery. You will see what I mean when you get there ;)

I want this, but I still have games to finish and should probably watch how much I spend... =(

It looks like a great game though, so maybe at some point I can pick it up.

Hey now, in my own defence, I was planning on getting A Boy and His Blob for Christmas. :)

I plan on getting it.. but not until it drops in price (which I assume will not be very long :eek:)

I know that may be frowned upon but when you consider how quickly a lot of games have dropped in price this year and the fact that my pile is already far too big, you can understand why I am happy to wait :heh:

Went looking for this today as it's something I've been wanting since I first saw it. 5 stores in 2 towns and none of them had the game. Even asked if they had it behind the till in one of the many drawers but nothing. That's my excuse for not buying it but I'm hoping to have better luck when I go out tomorrow because I really, really do want to play this. Who wouldn't want to play this seeing as you can huge that cute l'il blob?

But see this is the problem with stores now. Something new and outlandish like this falls into the same category as Muramasa and some stores just won't give it the shelf space. Really sucks when they do that as the wider audience, who I guarantee would buy this instantly, are going to miss out.

I'm planning on heading into GAME shortly to pick up Klonoa on the Wii for £9.99 as I saw it the other night :smile:

I've only ever seen a single copy of it on the shelves so I am not really expecting them to have any others in the store :hmm: With that in mind, I'm sure it won't be sealed and it'll have those boggin' stickers around the manual.. but I'm scared it won't even be there any more by the time I get there! That'll teach me to wait :eek:

I'll check to see if they have A Boy and his Blob when I'm in : peace:

It's definitely on my radar, still got M&L3, Tenchu4 and a few other games to complete first though.

So yeah, easy on the praise for this one H-o-T, I don't want to be tempted to buy this game prematurely! :heh:

I went to GAME and Klonoa was gone :sad: I guess I should have got it yesterday :hmm:

I saw The Boy and His Blob there for £34.99.. kinda hidden away, nowhere near the chart :indeed:

Whoa, this is out is it?! Really had no idea. Great marketing!

Hmm, the only actual day I could pop into town to get it would be on Friday. Unless I order eet online? Play.com is looking like the place to be.

£24.99 at Play.com. I think I'm going to pick this up. However, I've been so naughty with money recently. Ok, I will get this, purely because I've worked hard last week and I'm ill so deserve some bluddy fun.