N-Europe

Excitebots: Trick Racing

david.dakota

So, what we think is a new addition to the ExciteSeries should have us all excited. I must admit, I expected to come in here and see more positive reactions.

I'm not the least bit disappointed with details about this game. Rather, I have to say that I'm very disappointed with the reactions from the forumers. Three words. Three Words. "Play Fun Minigames." Does it say what mini-games? Did any of you stop to think that these could be similar to the Challenge Mode (And Super Challenge Mode) sections from ExciteTruck, but expanded? And this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Yeah, we haven't had many details about this until now, but did we even have that with the first game. That is why so many of us loved it. It was understated, and it quietly went about its business and did the job effectively. That is why I consider it to be one of the cult games on the Wii.

Maybe we should rename this site to Negative-Europe. This is definitely not the first time that fans have cried murder over so little information.

You know, I don't think anyone other than Zechs has been full-on negative with this. People are saying they don't like the name or they're anxious about the way it's being presented at the moment but pretty much all of them are also stating optimism that it'll be like the first game.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excitebots, ey? Interesting stuff. :hehe:

Excite Truck was awesome, so here's hoping for another great game!

Would be so cool if this was a kind of create your own bot/vehicle/whatever... and then be able to race 'em online. :grin:

Kinda like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts! Sounds good to me :)

RedShell your sig is just pure WIN :bowdown:

I agree with Lord Flinky, we have a single paragraph to go on without any screens, videos or playtests. It's like the Dead Space incident again - any mention of on-rails or minigames is a cue for you guys to rip it apart.

RedShell you are just pure WIN :bowdown:

Corrected. ;)

I agree with Lord Flinky, we have a single paragraph to go on without any screens, videos or playtests. It's like the Dead Space incident again - any mention of on-rails or minigames is a cue for you guys to rip it apart.

Well, if the game was just minigames then there would definitely be enough reason to complain, but this is likely minigames on top of a solid racing game.

So, what we think is a new addition to the ExciteSeries should have us all excited. I must admit, I expected to come in here and see more positive reactions.

I'm not the least bit disappointed with details about this game. Rather, I have to say that I'm very disappointed with the reactions from the forumers. Three words. Three Words. "Play Fun Minigames." Does it say what mini-games? Did any of you stop to think that these could be similar to the Challenge Mode (And Super Challenge Mode) sections from ExciteTruck, but expanded? And this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Yeah, we haven't had many details about this until now, but did we even have that with the first game. That is why so many of us loved it. It was understated, and it quietly went about its business and did the job effectively. That is why I consider it to be one of the cult games on the Wii.

Maybe we should rename this site to Negative-Europe. This is definitely not the first time that fans have cried murder over so little information.

wow you are taking a risk here. It does seem most likely that this will be a mini-game racing game in all fairness. Why on earth would any developer label their game with the most feared words in the eyes of wii gamers if it wasn't(MINI GAMES)

wow you are taking a risk here. It does seem most likely that this will be a mini-game racing game in all fairness. Why on earth would any developer label their game with the most feared words in the eyes of wii gamers if it wasn't(MINI GAMES)

It's not that much of a risk. Did you play ExciteTruck?

And, the mention of mini games came second. I think too many people make a huge fuss over the Wii having games with "Mini-Games."

Interesting Fact: Not one single person here has mentioned the pure and simple fact that the rival systems have become saturated with First Person Shooters. I don't think there's much Nintendo can do right these games. Nevertheless, I think this game deserves a chance.

It's not that much of a risk. Did you play ExciteTruck?

And, the mention of mini games came second. I think too many people make a huge fuss over the Wii having games with "Mini-Games."

Interesting Fact: Not one single person here has mentioned the pure and simple fact that the rival systems have become saturated with First Person Shooters. I don't think there's much Nintendo can do right these games. Nevertheless, I think this game deserves a chance.

That is because most FPS games on the other consoles are of decent or excellent quality. If most of wii's top and classic games consisted of mini-games I don't think people would complain.

This and you are right in a way.

Nintendo gamers mostly are some of the most moany people ever. I am convinced that whether they like it or not they want ALL their gamers to be dark and violent just like the other consoles while at the same time dissing the consoles themselves. People here aren't really like that too much.. but generally. Remember how much people orgasmed themselves when twilight princess was unveiled when I thought the wind waker style was a million times more charming.

I have played excitetruck fun stuff but not much in there but not bad and I find it to be a very underrated game in wii's library.

But I do find the lack of any proper announcement before the release date to be a little disturbing. Either someone cocked up or nintendo doesn't see this as a very significant title. I mean we knew about punch-out for ages.

That is because most FPS games on the other consoles are of decent or excellent quality. If most of wii's top and classic games consisted of mini-games I don't think people would complain.

This and you are right in a way.

Nintendo gamers mostly are some of the most moany people ever. I am convinced that whether they like it or not they want ALL their gamers to be dark and violent just like the other consoles while at the same time dissing the consoles themselves. People here aren't really like that too much.. but generally. Remember how much people orgasmed themselves when twilight princess was unveiled when I thought the wind waker style was a million times more charming.

I have played excitetruck fun stuff but not much in there but not bad and I find it to be a very underrated game in wii's library.

But I do find the lack of any proper announcement before the release date to be a little disturbing. Either someone cocked up or nintendo doesn't see this as a very significant title. I mean we knew about punch-out for ages.

But these are all big budget, hyped and marketed First Person Shooters. A lot of these mini-games are not even given anywhere near as much attention, but they seem to be more criticised. Why are gamers (and the gaming media) choosing to focus on this instead of the games that we should be playing? For this reason, it is absolutely criminal that ExciteTruck hardly got a look in. Nintendo themselves should be kicking themselves for not advertising this (and a dozen others) properly.

This is just Nintendo being stealthy again when it comes to announcing and then releasing something. They did nigh-on the same thing with ExciteTruck, and they're doing the same here. Why they choose to do this, I have no idea. But, there are instances where this does not reflect on the quality of the game itself. One prime example is Disaster: Day of Crisis. A game which seemed to have been snuck onto the shelves of GAME by Solid Snake himself, without anyone batting an eyelid. I picked the game up at Christmas in a sale for Fifteen Quid. One of only two copies in the store left. Gamestation, HMV and Zavvi did not stock this in Brighton. Why? I do not know.

Edit: About the gamers wanting something dark and mature: I tend to ignore these gamers. I bought my Wii for the quirky, charming and engaging titles. Basically, different games that offer something I haven't had before. I'm happy with it, but if others aren't, then maybe they should question what they're looking for.

But these are all big budget, hyped and marketed First Person Shooters. A lot of these mini-games are not even given anywhere near as much attention, but they seem to be more criticised. Why are gamers (and the gaming media) choosing to focus on this instead of the games that we should be playing? For this reason, it is absolutely criminal that ExciteTruck hardly got a look in. Nintendo themselves should be kicking themselves for not advertising this (and a dozen others) properly.

This is just Nintendo being stealthy again when it comes to announcing and then releasing something. They did nigh-on the same thing with ExciteTruck, and they're doing the same here. Why they choose to do this, I have no idea. But, there are instances where this does not reflect on the quality of the game itself. One prime example is Disaster: Day of Crisis. A game which seemed to have been snuck onto the shelves of GAME by Solid Snake himself, without anyone batting an eyelid. I picked the game up at Christmas in a sale for Fifteen Quid. One of only two copies in the store left. Gamestation, HMV and Zavvi did not stock this in Brighton. Why? I do not know.

Edit: About the gamers wanting something dark and mature: I tend to ignore these gamers. I bought my Wii for the quirky, charming and engaging titles. Basically, different games that offer something I haven't had before. I'm happy with it, but if others aren't, then maybe they should question what they're looking for.

to be fair the reason why disaster was quiet was because it was never released in the us and therefore a lot of promotion wasn't bothered with.

excitetruck was promoted as well you would ever see nintendo with one of these types of games.. Remember how disasterous the lack of promotion for f-zero gx was? At least excitetruck had demo pods and stuff because it was a launch game.

excite wasn't a brilliant game it was missing options and multiplayer was cack but as a launch title it was cool released now it would be a bit mediocre.

even the low budget marketed ones on 360 do pretty well.. hell look at conduit on the wii? A lot of effort by a very small developer and it looks great. With efforts like these it's easy to look down on genres like mini-games afterwards.

not All mini-games are bad but low budget or high budget you gotta admit at least 9/10 are god awful especially on the wii.

I could almost name all the good ones right here.

rayman raving rabbits(1 and 2 i didnt like 3 really)

wii play

wii sports

warioware(even though i thought it was very disappointing compared to twisted,inc and the gamecube one)

im strruggling to name more I might have forgotten a few. But again I don't MIND mini game games. I love rayman and for the gamecube i loved wario ware,super monkeyball and mario party for the ds is nice too..

I lvoe my charming and colourful games too hence why nintendo is still my favourite despite everything.

to be fair the reason why disaster was quiet was because it was never released in the us and therefore a lot of promotion wasn't bothered with.

excitetruck was promoted as well you would ever see nintendo with one of these types of games.. Remember how disasterous the lack of promotion for f-zero gx was? At least excitetruck had demo pods and stuff because it was a launch game.

excite wasn't a brilliant game it was missing options and multiplayer was cack but as a launch title it was cool released now it would be a bit mediocre.

even the low budget marketed ones on 360 do pretty well.. hell look at conduit on the wii? A lot of effort by a very small developer and it looks great. With efforts like these it's easy to look down on genres like mini-games afterwards.

not All mini-games are bad but low budget or high budget you gotta admit at least 9/10 are god awful especially on the wii.

I could almost name all the good ones right here.

rayman raving rabbits(1 and 2 i didnt like 3 really)

wii play

wii sports

warioware(even though i thought it was very disappointing compared to twisted,inc and the gamecube one)

im strruggling to name more I might have forgotten a few. But again I don't MIND mini game games. I love rayman and for the gamecube i loved wario ware,super monkeyball and mario party for the ds is nice too..

I lvoe my charming and colourful games too hence why nintendo is still my favourite despite everything.

ExciteTruck wasn't a launch title, mind. It was released a wee while afterwards, maybe a month or two.

Hmm, I wonder what they've actually done to the sequel. The tricks idea in ExciteTruck was something I definitely think they could have worked more on, so I'm glad they're exploring the idea of it in the sequel. And, to be honest, ExciteTruck wasn't about you getting from the start to the finish. It was about how you got from the start to the end, and about the way you controlled your Truck, Tree-Runs, etc.

I want more information. As long as they keep the feel from the series and push it, then it should be splendid.

But, with the argument about mini-games, isn't it merely shelf-filler, something which all of the leading consoles have at some point? The PS2 had shovelware that could amount to a large country, too. But, for some reason, people are flagging it up a lot more with the Wii. I do think it's unfair.

But, with the argument about mini-games, isn't it merely shelf-filler, something which all of the leading consoles have at some point? The PS2 had shovelware that could amount to a large country, too. But, for some reason, people are flagging it up a lot more with the Wii. I do think it's unfair.

yes but the ps2 was the console of choice with most developers, It was the console the devs would put their biggest titles on first without exception.

It had it all gta,metal gear solid,silent hill and a healthy slew of first party titles. The ps2 even had a healthy selection of casual games like singstar and buzz that gamers all over respect.. Sadly all nintendo seems to success in doing is making their games look childish or gimmicky to the core.

wii gamers have had franchises like resident evil stripped away from them after being exclusive to gamecube mostly..

wii gamers have had to put up with nintendo executives telling them that they are focusing on the non-gamer but promised they wouln't leave out the core gamer and then

Wii gamers have had to put with a horrible e3 performance last year with the MOTHER of mini game games wii music being the focus of the whole thing.

in fact before the wii we never had to use the words core before? Nowadays gta is a hardcore game.. I mean what?

in summary: The wii is a lot different to the ps2.. Wii gamers have a complete right to complain but again i will reserve my judgement until e3 this year.

yes but the ps2 was the console of choice with most developers, It was the console the devs would put their biggest titles on first without exception.

It had it all gta,metal gear solid,silent hill and a healthy slew of first party titles. The ps2 even had a healthy selection of casual games like singstar and buzz that gamers all over respect.. Sadly all nintendo seems to success in doing is making their games look childish or gimmicky to the core.

wii gamers have had franchises like resident evil stripped away from them after being exclusive to gamecube mostly..

wii gamers have had to put up with nintendo executives telling them that they are focusing on the non-gamer but promised they wouln't leave out the core gamer and then

Wii gamers have had to put with a horrible e3 performance last year with the MOTHER of mini game games wii music being the focus of the whole thing.

in fact before the wii we never had to use the words core before? Nowadays gta is a hardcore game.. I mean what?

in summary: The wii is a lot different to the ps2.. Wii gamers have a complete right to complain but again i will reserve my judgement until e3 this year.

You're right, the PS2 did have a lot of those games. But, again, that's different to how Nintendo operates. Sony do create, develop and publish a fair amount of games themselves, but it's mostly efforts from third parties which sell the system. Also, funnily enough, GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill are no longer exclusives to Sony now, so maybe that says something.

Nintendo have their own particular style, and unfortunately they've been labeled with the term kiddy for quite some time now. Even before the Wii. Hell, even before the Cube! There's always been this stigma about putting games onto Nintendo systems, particularly because they never seem to sell as much as Nintendo's own games. Is this really down to the "kiddy" nature of Nintendo, or is that down to the quality of the first and third party releases? That's something gamers have to decide for themselves.

Did Wii gamers ever have Resident Evil stripped away? During the Era of the Gamecube, we were "promised" the series exclusively. What we got was a ReMake of One, which was great, and Zero, which I loved. Both were exclusive. Everything else, Two, Three, CV:X and Four, you could buy on other systems. So, I don't believe the Wii owners were stripped. It happened before that.

Have gamers been neglected? Again, I don't think this is down to the Wii. Arguably, it isn't all that different from previous generations. So far, we've had a Zelda, a Metroid, a Mario, a Smash Bros and a Mario Kart so far. They are the five biggest games that I think Nintendo look to the most. There's many other important games, but you also know that there is still a long stretch for the Wii.

With E3, it is simply not the same as it once was. It didn't seem all that exciting for me with regards to any of the conferences, but then one show does not determine the course of the year. So, I'm not that disappointed now when I maybe would have been five years ago.

And, the hardcore and casual argument is something which I think is tired. It seems nowadays that everything needs to be catagorised. Aren't both of these terms under a bigger term/umbrella, which is "gamers." That is the most important term for me.

I don't think anyone can deny that there is a difference between someone who only plays Guitar Hero and Wii Sports, and generally doesn't care about games that much, and someone who is always waiting for, buying and playing the next big game, and reading gaming news daily.

I don't think anyone can deny that there is a difference between someone who only plays Guitar Hero and Wii Sports, and generally doesn't care about games that much, and someone who is always waiting for, buying and playing the next big game, and reading gaming news daily.

But there's always been a difference, as these are two different ends of the scale. Arguably, one end who spend little time gaming, and the other end who probably spend too much doing it. It's the same with sport, and music. People who will listen to stuff on the radio, buy a few CDs here and there, and people who read publications, blogs and go to gigs.

There have always been gamers who have played a Gameboy for Tetris, or who maybe played about 10 minutes of Grand Theft Auto. I think it is a huge misconception that casual gamers didn't exist before the release of the Wii.

And, sure, maybe the examples you have listed are two ends of the scale, but that doesn't mean they are the only categories. That's the problem with categories. You need to fit into one, or the system fails. What if you are neither a hardcore or casual gamer? I spend a lot of my time reading gaming news, following games, etc, especially during my newsie days. It got to the point where I actually spent little time gaming. What about the gamer who does this but spends 10 mins a day playing a game? What about the gamer who spends 10 hours a day playing Guitar Hero? Is Guiter Hero a casual game?

Sure, reading up on news is interesting. But, reading IGN does not make you a hardcore gamer. Does reading IGN make you a casual gamer?

But there's always been a difference, as these are two different ends of the scale. Arguably, one end who spend little time gaming, and the other end who probably spend too much doing it. It's the same with sport, and music. People who will listen to stuff on the radio, buy a few CDs here and there, and people who read publications, blogs and go to gigs.

There have always been gamers who have played a Gameboy for Tetris, or who maybe played about 10 minutes of Grand Theft Auto. I think it is a huge misconception that casual gamers didn't exist before the release of the Wii.

I never said there weren't.

I never said there weren't.

No, you didn't, but I was leading one point into the other.

Similarly, what do you call someone who plays, say, Halo 3, but does not care all that much, like you say. What are they?

Hardcore and Casual are horrible, horrible elitist terms. Sooner they get ditched, the better.