N-Europe

How awesome are festivals?

rizz

You get to watch and often meet your favourite bands.

l_fb7277a66deab2e7f784696b7aae4be9.jpg

Päde from Eluveitie, for example.

And you get to meet up with friends from all over place and have a big party. I mean this is probs less than half of our camp.

l_b00887f77434866fe31b025907f8844e.jpg

So, what festivals do people go to? Last year I went to Hellfest, Wacken, and Bloodstock. This year I will be doing those three again, but will also be going to Ragnarok! Awesooome!

Reading Festival 08 was my first festival, fucking intense and I can't overstate how much I enjoyed it. There's not a hope in hell I won't be going this year because of it :D

There's so much more to it than you posted, too. The freedom, the different way of living, the common interests...all the people in one place there for the same thing. Fucking love it.

Still wearing my Reading 08 band too..

I wish I had more pictures, I have very very few for 3 festivals.

Dyson is correct. So much more. Hellfest and Wacken, everyone is nice happy and friendly, you could have a conversation with pretty much everyone because everyone loves metal, and that is why they've travelled from Finland or Australia or Mexico or wherever. Bloodstock being a UK festival wasn't quite of friendly of course, a good few wankers about the place. Fests in the Mainland Europe though, I have never heard or experienced anything bad about.

Anyone who has ever driven through Wacken village on their way in will know the true meaning of music community. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Rizz is back! What happened to DarkZero? And now you're a Goth! Epic awesome.

I'm still emo so I sit at home and cry instead of going to festivals. Well, that and the fact taht I went crazy at the last one I went to...

Circus Festival! I go to that. I win automatically, right?

But camping is one of the best things about festivals! Well, that depends on how many people you are with, and how fun they are really. So it's no problem for me really to have an awesome time. Not like it's hard to make friends either.

Though I'd understand if you found the camping part a bit unpleasant having to live like a tramp and such. However, it seems quite obvious that the main problem was you were too sober too often.

In my old age of 25 I can no longer handle festivals such as Reading and Leeds.

It's all about Latitude Festival for me. More chilled out and lots of different things to do, not only music but comedy, film, theatre, caberat and even poetry :)

I went to Connect last year. It was awesome!

I saw so many bands I loved, and found loads of new ones I now love (Black Cherry, Howling Bells, Fight Like Apes etc etc), as well as bands I don't like so much but now can say I've seen live (Elbow, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian etc etc).

I hate how greasy my hair got though. And how you feel like you can never go to the toilet safely.

I went to the last day of Hydro Connect last year. Should really have just gone on all 3 days, but my parents assumed I'd die... :indeed:

The atmosphere definitely made Sigur Ros even better. Likely the best musical experience I've ever had live. The CD's do them no justice.

The only festival I've ever been to was Reading in 2006. Was a bloody amazing weekend!

I've got a few I want to go to this year. I really want to go to M'era Luna in Germany, if my mates deffinitely go. I'm also thinking either Reading or Download, but I'm not sure yet. I guess it depends on the line-ups and how much I'm willing to spend...

All Tomorrows Parties is where it's at for festivals. No camping, you get a chalet. Taking a shit and having a shower is a pleasureable experience, you can sleep in a bed and put your drinks in the fridge, and watch ATP's specially selected programming on ATP TV. And there are numerous chalet parties.

And the selection of bands is by far and away the most diverse and interesting you can find at a music festival, all curated by ATP and one of the headline bands, and sometimes they even let the fans in on the action, as they are doing again this year.

Shit. I've seen Download's lineup and it looks awesome so far! Me and a few mates from work deffinitely want to go. Problem is, we can't afford it yet, so we'll have to get our tickets in a few weeks. I just hope they don't sell out. I know they don't usually, but I can't help but be paranoid...

Rizz! no wais! So you didn't get to meet Michael Jackson at your festivals? :p

On a serious note, my first festival was Leeds 01, saw a few of my favourite bands, SOAD was extremely memorable, hung out with just one mate in a tent for 3 days and had an amazing time. Memorieees.

Still got a video of Rizz moonwalking on my computer.

Aneewaiz, been going to Glastonbury since I was a wee nipper of 10 back in 1996 and not missed any since (even when lacking a ticket). However, after so many times I find myself getting a little jaded with it, especially the excessive security. As a result I'm not sure if I'll go this year, which is a shock. I've experimented with the Secret Garden Party the last couple of years and found it to be a fantastic small scale chilled festival in spite of the large number of coked up London art students.

This year I'm feeling interest in the Beachdown Festival in Brighton. Jah Shaka Soundsystem, Prince Buster, Grandmaster Flash AND The Sugarhill Gang, oh yes let's take it back to the oldschool.