N-Europe

Dante

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got this game yesterday, and I must say it exceeded my expectations. But Im a little over 2 hours in and im already at chapter 5.

How many chapters does the game contain? If I finish the game in 2 more hours I would be really disappointed with the length.

I think in this day and age 10 to 12 hours is a minimum.

I think in this day and age 10 to 12 hours is a minimum.

It's a light game. No light game will ever be able to stretch that length of time. You want a 10 to 12 hour game in this generation of consoles, you'd be hard pushed to find it outside of RPGs and adventure games.

Then you can minus a couple points for the idiots who rate it up because it's good for a Wii game.

Swings and roundabouts.

Er... that's exactly the point though. If it's a good game for the Wii it should be scored as such.

If I go back and rate my NES collection I don't rate them by the standard of SNES or N64 games, that would be silly.

We all know what the Wii is capable of, and it isn't as powerful as the PS3 or 360 so rating the games as such would be unfair. In the same way you can't rate DS games as PSP games because of the difference in technology.

Plus, I have never seen journalists bumping up Wii scores, but I have seen plenty of people pulling them down simply because they haven't been arsed getting used to the Wii remote. I've even heard ludicrous comments of people's arms going numb and the like.

I've played through Metroid Prime and Echoes over the last few weeks and never once has my arm fallen asleep. What the f*ck are these morons doing with the remote to make their arms fall asleep?

I just sit on front of the TV with my wrists rested on my legs as I do if I'm holding a regular pad. Is that some revolutionary way of holding the Wii remote???

Yay! :yay: Free copy get! :p Just got sent a copy to review so I'll crack into it later on this evening (with the atmosphere being similar to the original then it's going to be best played at night/in the dark). Really looking forward to it, even if it is a 'first person guided experience'.

Edit: Just had a go on this with the first chapter. It's only the first chapter but I'm loving it. I really liked the first game and this has nailed the tension and atmosphere right from the start. And it looks absolutely fantastic. Yes, the textures and lighting isn't as good as the original (it wasn't going to be) but Visceral Games have done a fantastic job making it look this good. Just going through this starting area is making me hanker for playing the original again.

Edited by Ganepark32

• 3 weeks later...

I just started playing it this morning and so far im not a fan of it. Im 3 chapters in and the game is just far too slow at the moment, it doesnt feel like a lightgun game at all. Now im a HUGE fan of the first game and I agree it does capture the feel of that but to then put it into a slow paced shooter just doesnt work for me.

Another thing that ticks me off is having to twist your arm to access the secondary fire for your guns. Is a simple button press not good enough anymore?

I will carry on to see if it picks up...

^ This. I rented it, although I did quite enjoy it, I agree it's too slow paced, and the camera angles feel really uninspired. I know that sounds like a stupid thing to mention, but I loved in Overkill how fast paced and awesome the camera was (flying under tables, etc.)

That being said, I did still enjoy Extraction, just maybe not enough to purchase it.

I just started playing it this morning and so far im not a fan of it. Im 3 chapters in and the game is just far too slow at the moment, it doesnt feel like a lightgun game at all. Now im a HUGE fan of the first game and I agree it does capture the feel of that but to then put it into a slow paced shooter just doesnt work for me.

Another thing that ticks me off is having to twist your arm to access the secondary fire for your guns. Is a simple button press not good enough anymore?

I will carry on to see if it picks up...

I can agree with you on the pacing of the game, it's way too slow to start with and going through the levels is like zzzz. About 4-5 chapters in, the game started to pick up and me and my brother started to enjoy it more.Not sure if i'll be going back to it once it's complete.

Still they could have made it a non light gun game.

Overkill is the better light gun game, but it suffers from slowdown at times which is annoying. Not like it's pushing the wii

• 1 month later...

So I gave this a rent, and I've been giving it some good playtie lately. Here are my thoughts.

Call me a dirty philistine, but why the hell is this on-rails?

I love me a good light-gun game. I adore Overkill. It's a great House of the Dead title. But nobody asked for Dead Space on-rails. I play this and can't help but think "Oh, that would have actually felt even better if I could explore a bit more". It was admirable to see even Nintendo try and push this into the eyes of core gamers, but I bet even they were wondering what EA were thinking.

Anyway, now that's out the way, the actual game.

It's certainly got its own distinct feel. Some decent set-pieces. It never does feel scary. Chilling at best. Chapter 5 is the best so far. Weapons are pretty neat, but enemies can get quite repetitive.

Challenge mode and all the hidden extras are a welcome. I guess if you fall in love with the game, there's plenty of replay value.

It's no evolution of the on-rails genre. It's just a well-made experience.

Decent light-gun game, but if you honestly want to hit a market bigger than a niche one, don't be so stupid next time EA.

• 3 weeks later...

The lovely Ine has bought this for me for Christmas, and I must say that I am loving every second of this game.

First off, it feels very cinematic, and there's a great atmosphere about the game. I did feel a bit uneasy playing through some parts of it, and the enemies just seem to appear all over the place.

Secondly, the game itself looks and sounds great. The developers have done a wonderful job with this, and can only be commended, I think.

Lastly, the pacing is great so far. I haven't been quite sure when the enemies were going to pop up. And, I like how every room isn't simply filled with crazies, where you just blast them to get through. It makes you feel uneasy when you're not sure if the next room will be filled with enemies, or if they're hidden, or if it's a quiet room or something.

So, I must say I'm a huge fan of this so far. I think the term "Guided-FPS" that was used earlier in development is a suitable tagline for it. The lack of control over your character does seem to make the game pretty tense. Also, the jumpiness of the camera adds to that feeling, too.

:)

Played the opening to this (had a dabble on all my new games) and I just know I'm going to love it. Need to finish the PS3 version off first though.

I know this isn't the Darkside Chronicles thread, but its the closest comparison. Got this too for christmas and I must say that game is a hideous disapointment; I know there's been loads of talk on the shaky cam, but eff me is it annoying, it's WAY worse the UC. In fact, they've changed a few things i loved about the first one - shooting the shit out of everything being graded being one!! It also seems so much easier to get good grades in this too. Also, because you unlock so much on each level, it doesn't have the same effect when you find a piece of archive... Not impressed, but only done the first 3 or 4 levels.... Hope it gets a lot better

I know this isn't the Darkside Chronicles thread, but its the closest comparison. Got this too for christmas and I must say that game is a hideous disapointment; I know there's been loads of talk on the shaky cam, but eff me is it annoying, it's WAY worse the UC. In fact, they've changed a few things i loved about the first one - shooting the shit out of everything being graded being one!! It also seems so much easier to get good grades in this too. Also, because you unlock so much on each level, it doesn't have the same effect when you find a piece of archive... Not impressed, but only done the first 3 or 4 levels.... Hope it gets a lot better

Resident Evil: DC beats this game hands down, IMO. As I mentioned earlier the pacing in this game is just far too slow, it takes an age to get going and by the time it does your mind and body is too drained to care. R Evil is alot more fast paced and keeps you on your toes. Sure you feel like your characters having a fit at times but at least your not falling asleep through the thing!

The game doesn't reach any of the greatness that the 360/PS3 sequel had but then I never expected it to. From the start EA didn't seem to give it the lavish and care that they could have nor did they market the thing. As for the story, if you want to know what happened before the 360/PS3 game then I recommend you just pick up the anime movie.

I'm going to have to say that I completely disagree with the comments about the pacing of the game. The pacing of the game matches the feel of the game. I like that it simply isn't one of these games where every room is crammed full of enemies, and where you have to kill every last one before progressing. In fact, that was a huge criticism of mine with Resident Evil 4, there were simply too many enemies, and it became an action outing rather than a Survival Horror. Think of the first Resi for example: Each room wasn't filled with enemies, and sometimes you could go by for many minutes without seeing anything. But, imo, that adds to the uncertainty.

It works the same in this game. True, there are some parts where the enemies just keep coming and coming, but these are spread out so that it doesn't become too repetitive. I think a lot of care has gone into this to make it a tense experience, but also a different experience to what is out there at the moment.

I cracked this open last night, and i'll sit in the camp of liking it.

For me, it doesn't feel like an on-rails shooter. I know thats an odd thing to say because it clearly is, but it does feel like an adventure horror to me. Perhaps an on-rails shooter that does that little bit further. It drips atmosphere, and so far the narrative is done well - although the VO work is not extraordinary.

I can understand why people wouldve prefered a full movement game - because, i would too - but for what it is, its damned fine.

Played a little of this over Christmas on co-op. Honestly didn't really enjoy it much so far. Felt very slow and the shooting just didn't feel very satisfying. So far I prefer how Umbrella Chronicles felt even.

The visuals seem good for Wii though although I was playing on a 32" HDTV and there was noticible jaggies. I suspect it'll look better on my standard def ancient brick CRT TV since most Wii games seem to.