N-Europe

€ / £ Exchange Rate

conzer16

Exactly, used to be nowhere near that.

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint2.jpg

...you're trying to tell us something...

What i'd like to know is if we went to the Euro would we keep all our classic sayings based around currency? Such as 'Quid' and all the others? Actually is there any slang for the Euro out there at the minute?

I feel fairly neutral on moving to the Euro. I couldn't see it being soon though.

We still use the same words for the Euro as before.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons why we, generally, don't want the Euro is because we're just too attached to the pound.

The pound is the world's oldest currency still in use, so it's seen as a big part of the UK's history.

It's another thing that, now due to the Euro, is our usual British way of deeming ourselves as "Not European." and that because we're on some islands out to sea but Europe is rather close, we're 'classed' as European. And if we were to get rid of the pound, it would be seen as getting rid of part of British history and finally admitting defeat and saying "Okay, we are European after all."

I don't think I need to say what us Brits are like, but it's just a typical British way of thinking to want to keep the pound and not join the single currency.

Meh, I can somewhat relate to this. We Danes have kept our Krone despite the question of going over to the Euro having been discussed and voted for several times. I've heard from different sources that going over to the Euro would be a good idea in light of the current economy crisis, but I really don't know myself. I don't pretend to know squat about economy. I understand how it works in general, but that's about it. I really despise how it's so controlled by fear and speculation.

One of the reasons why we, generally, don't want the Euro is because we're just too attached to the pound.

The pound is the world's oldest currency still in use, so it's seen as a big part of the UK's history.

It's another thing that, now due to the Euro, is our usual British way of deeming ourselves as "Not European." and that because we're on some islands out to sea but Europe is rather close, we're 'classed' as European. And if we were to get rid of the pound, it would be seen as getting rid of part of British history and finally admitting defeat and saying "Okay, we are European after all."

I don't think I need to say what us Brits are like, but it's just a typical British way of thinking to want to keep the pound and not join the single currency.

Hmmm. I never thought about it that way! What about south Ireland? :heh:

sorry I'll stop being awkward now :P

I think for a lot of people in northern Ireland there is pride in the pound sterling, particularly for unionists, as the pound sterling bonds us with the UK somewhat. And being tied with South Ireland would be so awful or something :indeed:

That's just a very old fashioned way of thinking though. And what's wrong with being classed as European anyway? I just feel the UK is trying to be "different" from the mainland just for the sake of it sometimes. =P

In the newspapers there are reasonable amounts of stories of "Bowing down to Brussels" and all laws they're changing and forcing upon us. Which is probably one reason why we want to keep our currency and identity.

To be honest i don't feel very European at all.

If we lose the pound, we lose the ability to set our own interest rates and would depend on the EU to control our monitary policy. Interest rates are low at the moment for a reason and a weak pound will only do good in the long run with cheaper exports. If we lose the ability to look after our own economy during times like this, we could be screwed.

I'm going to Malaysia in February and it sucks because Im not going to be able to get as many RM and USD that I was hoping for. I'll have to get by on 5000RM compared to the 7000RM that I would have got a year ago.:( No 5 star hotels for me... ok, just the 1 or 2.: peace:

That's just a very old fashioned way of thinking though. And what's wrong with being classed as European anyway? I just feel the UK is trying to be "different" from the mainland just for the sake of it sometimes. =P

I pretty much agree with this. It's not like all the other European countries have thrown away their heritage to support something new, anyway.

Throughout history, changes have been made, and they need to made in order for things to progress. Look at the language, for example. Look at how multi-cultural the UK is nowadays. Change is happening all the time, and it's not always a bad thing.

When weighing up the positives against the negatives, I think it would make a lot of sense to go with the Euro. Let me ask you this: If the UK was attached to France, would we feel like we were more a part of Europe than we are now? Are we just a lonely Island/collection of countries?

May I ask what exactly is wrong with using the euro? As far as I'm aware, it's a lot easier to not have to exchange money whenever you go on vacation somewhere, or even when buying online.

I don't hate the Euro in the slightest, as Fish seems to have implied. I simply would rather stick with what I'm used to, which is the pound. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't want to have to make the effort to change, when we're doing fine with what we have. Is there anything wrong with that?

So, what's stopping us feeling like we are part of Europe? The sea?

Or, perhaps we are deliberately trying to be awkward? Trying to be different, like keeping ourselves to ourselves.

Probably both. The sea's harder to cross than a border, which is sort of splitting us there, the many language barriers might be another factor. It's hard to say. I know we have alot of trade between the other countries, but it hardly feels like we're part of the same thing. But that's just my perspective.

Perhaps we are being awkward as you say, but who wouldn't want to be different?

(Sorry my view contains nothing of the economies)

Probably both. The sea's harder to cross than a border, the many language barriers might be another factor. It's hard to say. I know we have alot of trade between the other countries, but it hardly feels like we're part of the same thing. But that's just my perspective.

Perhaps we are being awkward as you say, but who wouldn't want to be different?

(Sorry my view contains nothing of the economies)

The language barriers may be a problem, but other countries seem to manage just fine. In a way, I think it makes us seem more Un-European, how we just focus on our own language and cultures. I dunno, it does seem like the country is boxed in, and that we seem to have put up a wall with "outsiders." Maybe that's just me thinking too much into it.

Being individual is fine. But, is deliberately isolating yourself a good thing? I don't think it is.

I no longer care to comprehend the UK, do as you wish. it's just a shame that because of some, others can't keep the progress.

I'm sure there's many great things about being British and your identity, to bad you only stand by the most insignificant of them.

I don't hate the Euro in the slightest, as Fish seems to have implied. I simply would rather stick with what I'm used to, which is the pound. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't want to have to make the effort to change, when we're doing fine with what we have. Is there anything wrong with that?

Thing is, you're not doing so fine lately (just like the rest of the world) and if the pound doesn't regain the advantage it had (or if it picks up too much), it would just be a nuisance to the economy. Like things are now since £1 is pretty much €1 the transition would be easy, much easier than it was in Portugal. Not wanting to make an effort is one of humanity's biggest problems :P

Thing is, you're not doing so fine lately (just like the rest of the world) and if the pound doesn't regain the advantage it had (or if it picks up too much), it would just be a nuisance to the economy. Like things are now since £1 is pretty much €1 the transition would be easy, much easier than it was in Portugal. Not wanting to make an effort is one of humanity's biggest problems :P

Haha, apply the not wanting to make an effort logic to things that actually matter. I mean, come on, everyones going through a rough patch at the moment like you say. If it was just the pound, then fine I might see your logic. But considering the pound is usually doing rather well, and is only doing badly when everyone else is I see no reason to change.

Plus, I want to keep all out sayings! "Quid" etc. I'm not one of those ones that hates the idea of being the same as Europe either. I just like the pound, and want to keep it as it is. I've used the Euro enough to know I prefer using the pound.

Plus, I want to keep all out sayings! "Quid" etc. I'm not one of those ones that hates the idea of being the same as Europe either. I just like the pound, and want to keep it as it is. I've used the Euro enough to know I prefer using the pound.

But why? It's just a different type of money, in the end it's all the same: you use it to buy things with. Does it really matter that much that the words for the coins and stuff are different?

I mean, over here it felt weird too to change to the Euro, and I wasn't all for it at first, but you get used to it. I used to make the conversion in my head to the old Francs, but I stopped doing that after a while.

Change isn't always bad.

How is a strong pound that good? At the end of the day, a country needs to export more than it imports or at least have a balance of trade. With a strong pound, imports are cheap, so our country will just get into more and more debt as time goes by... Once we are at a stage where we are unable to pay off our national debt because we've all been spending our money on foreign products, the country will collapse. I dont think we've had a trade surplus for...10 years?

A lot of people here are saying that British people don't want to adopt the Euro because of national pride... Thats very ironic considering the fact that the Euro has no point to it other than European pride. European countries don't have the status in the world that they used to have in the past and all have to huddle together. Perhaps Britain's time for that hasn't happened just yet. We are still an important country in the world, unlike most European countries.

The pound is still worth more than the Euro... and given the fluctuations I have no doubt that the pound will become stronger again. I did like being able to buy American goods much cheaper through the GBP>USD conversion, hopefully at some point the pound will get stronger.

I don't really see the need in our country being so closely connected to Europe, when I don't feel we are. The fact we're an island separated away from everyone as well as speaking the same language as USA/Australia (thus making me feel like we have more of a connection with them, if anything) means I don't much care for the Euro.

Plus the Euro coins and notes are an absolute farce. :heh:

But why? It's just a different type of money, in the end it's all the same: you use it to buy things with. Does it really matter that much that the words for the coins and stuff are different?

I mean, over here it felt weird too to change to the Euro, and I wasn't all for it at first, but you get used to it. I used to make the conversion in my head to the old Francs, but I stopped doing that after a while.

Change isn't always bad.

Us Brits are quite proud of our currency, and somewhat independence, most of us more than any advantages to be had from switching to the Euro.

Change isn't always bad.

I can't see any huge advantage gains for us if we change, so I don't see why we should bother. In actualy fact it does matter. Words like that are used daily my millions of people, and suddenly having to drop them from our language would be rather annoying. To be honest, if we were connected to Europe I feel we would have changed by now anyway. I think the little gap between us and the rest of you has made a huge difference.

But, getting back on point, yes I know change is a good thing (Obama Yay) but at this point I think it's more of a Neutral thing - i.e there's just no need for it.

Euro coins etc are UTTERLY annoying tbh. However much someone can argue against that, I've used them enough times to be able to support my opinion.

The fact we're an island separated away from everyone means I don't much care for the Euro.

Yeah, that really stopped Ireland, Cyprus, Finland and Malta, didn't it?

We're part of the EEC, why shouldn't we join the worlds safest currency? The only reason is nationalism, and in my mind nationalism is for people who have nothing to be proud of so they try to claim the achievements of people from a roughly similar place to themselves.