Match 17: HIM vs. Megadeth

Match 18: A Fine Frenzy vs. Goldfrapp

Match 19: ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everlong no contest

No contest? Seriously? On the one side you have a very fresh critically acclaimed young artist who's brought on a complete reinvention of the genre, and a particularly good song of her's. On the other one, you have a band that's been as stale as it gets for the last 10 years and is completely unremarkable.

Now, I understand that you not liking M.I.A., as she only appeals to a certain crowd, but saying it's a no contest is completely ludicrous, as Everlong is clearly inferior, musically.

A "no contest" was Megadeth over HIM. And voilá, HIM won... only in this god damn place.

Anywho, for my vote... I personally preffer Everlong, as I pretty much grew up listening to The Colour And The Shape and There Is Nothing Left to Lose, but we're supposed to vote for the one who deserves to win, so I'll have to go and vote for miss M.I.A., as she's just too good to even be in the same range as Foo Fighters.

By the way, to whoever nominated Everlong: nice one, but My Hero is the one to pick, really. :heh:

^ Megadeth suck. Just a typical trashy metal band on the lower rungs of the music pecking order. Get over it. :heh:. I'll be back later to edit this with my vote. I know upon first glance who I'd vote for but I'm going to give them, or really the one I wouldn't be voting for, a good listen.

edit: Yeh, definitely no contest. Everlong gets my vote. It's by far the better song. Really did not like the M.I.A. one. Really dislike that kind of hip hop music. Just infuriates me. Everlong, on the other hand, is by one of my favourite bands and is widely regarded as not only their best song, but one of the greatest rock songs ever.

No contest? Seriously? On the one side you have a very fresh critically acclaimed young artist who's brought on a complete reinvention of the genre, and a particularly good song of her's. On the other one, you have a band that's been as stale as it gets for the last 10 years and is completely unremarkable.

Now, I understand that you not liking M.I.A., as she only appeals to a certain crowd, but saying it's a no contest is completely ludicrous, as Everlong is clearly inferior, musically.

A "no contest" was Megadeth over HIM. And voilá, HIM won... only in this god damn place.

Anywho, for my vote... I personally preffer Everlong, as I pretty much grew up listening to The Colour And The Shape and There Is Nothing Left to Lose, but we're supposed to vote for the one who deserves to win, so I'll have to go and vote for miss M.I.A., as she's just too good to even be in the same range as Foo Fighters.

By the way, to whoever nominated Everlong: nice one, but My Hero is the one to pick, really. :heh:

As far as I'm concerned we're supposed to vote for the song we like more, not which song is technically best.

This is why there was no contest. I hated the M.I.A song and love Everlong, fairly simple really.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't really know enough about music to be able to tell you why certain songs are good and others bad and to be honest I don't really care. I like what I like and don't care if technically it's the shittest song ever written/recorded!

^ Megadeth suck. Just a typical trashy metal band on the lower rungs of the music pecking order. Get over it. :heh:. I'll be back later to edit this with my vote. I know upon first glance who I'd vote for but I'm going to give them, or really the one I wouldn't be voting for, a good listen.

Typical? Hmm, yeah. Rust In Peace is unanimously acclaimed as one of the best metal albums ever recorded. Truth be told, present day? They pretty much suck, but it's undeniable they were one of the most important bands of their time. But hey, I guess you must be right, I guess I'll take your opinion over what's pretty much become a fact... I guess it's a lie that they are (and this really IS a fact) one of the BIG FOUR, and every single music critic alive must be wrong, because apparently Rust In Peace does... and I quote... "suck".

Him are clearly much better.

Oh, and by the way, to whoever nominated M.I.A.... why 20 dollar? She's got many better songs. 20 dollar's still great, mind!

As far as I'm concerned we're supposed to vote for the song we like more, not which song is technically best.

This is why there was no contest. I hated the M.I.A song and love Everlong, fairly simple really.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't really know enough about music to be able to tell you why certain songs are good and others bad and to be honest I don't really care. I like what I like and don't care if technically it's the shittest song ever written/recorded!

Actually, Everlong is far superior, technically. Technicality and quality are two completely different things. Dream Theater is technically flawless, and yet they're musically incompetent.

This is pretty much about the fact that Foo Fighters, as much as I like them (and I really do), are musical conformism, they're an overlong exercise in predictability, with heavy undertones of unoriginality. They're doing the same thing everybody's been doing for 50 years, and they're doing it unmemorably.

^ really? one of the BIG FOUR, ie one of the top metal albums ever? From what I'm seeing through various lists, it's not even in the top ten. But who cares. This is about fun and not arguing the finer details of whether a band is good or not. Of course my voicing of an opinion on Megadeth is likely to offend, and it was meant to try and get a reaction. In all honest, they aren't bad. I've just never really been into them that much which is why I'd pick HIM over them. Hell, if Rust In Peace is as good as you say then should I get round to listen to it, I might be inclined to change my opinion. Anyways, shall we let it lie. What's done is done and I apologise if I have offended.

\/ Urgh this is getting boring. I do not lie as you say by claiming my love for the song qualifies it as one of the greatest rock songs ever. It is one. Perhaps more in the modern rock era when not factoring the older rock music. If you're like this over Everlong, christ only knows what you'll be like when Let It Die comes up. :shakehead

Everlong, on the other hand, is by one of my favourite bands and is widely regarded as not only their best song, but one of the greatest rock songs ever.

Widely regarded as their best song? Yep, pretty much their best song. Although personally, My Hero is my pick.

One of the greatest rock songs ever? Seriously, kiddo, I quite love Everlong, but what's the need to justify your love for it with lies? It's never been widely regarded as anything... it's just a good chart topper, a successful single, nothing else.

That was me, and it was a random pick. I was going to choose whatever iTunes coughed up on shuffle, and it was this.

Also, Everlong is deemed by many FF fans as being their fav Foos song. (I don't have a fav, btw.)

^ really? one of the BIG FOUR, ie one of the top metal albums ever? From what I'm seeing through various lists, it's not even in the top ten. But who cares. This is about fun and not arguing the finer details of whether a band is good or not. Of course my voicing of an opinion on Megadeth is likely to offend, and it was meant to try and get a reaction. In all honest, they aren't bad. I've just never really been into them that much which is why I'd pick HIM over them. Hell, if Rust In Peace is as good as you say then should I get round to listen to it, I might be inclined to change my opinion. Anyways, shall we let it lie. What's done is done and I apologise if I have offended.

Nah, you haven't offended. Don't worry, I never take it personally. :heh:

But seriously now, as a cetifiable metalhead I can pretty much assure you that Rust In Peace is widely considered as one of the best metal albums ever made. As for Big Four, they're the 4 greatest thrash bands... Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. : peace: Oh, and do check Rust In Peace out, it's quite fantastic... although I must say that wasn't the best pick out of all the tracks in the album.

Also, Everlong is deemed by many FF fans as being their fav Foos song. (I don't have a fav, btw.)

Rightly so, it is their best song. Not my favourite, but... that's me. What do I even matter?

I do not lie as you say by claiming my love for the song qualifies it as one of the greatest rock songs ever. It is one. Perhaps more in the modern rock era when not factoring the older rock music.

No. It isn't. You're basing your entire argument on your own opinion, you're saying "it is one"... well then, SHOW ME WHY, don't just blurt it out like it's common sense or something. Quantify and massify it, don't just claim it.

Foo Fighters.

I agree with O_W (probably the first time I've ever written that :heh:) in that for the last ten years they've been pretty much stale. But The colour and the shape came out in 1997 and that was eleven years ago, so is excluded from this time scale.

Their third album is bad, and their first wasn't great, so my conclusion is that Pat Smear must have been mint, as I luuuuurrve TCATS. (And My Hero is my favourite too.)

No. It isn't. You're basing your entire argument on your own opinion, you're saying "it is one"... well then, SHOW ME WHY, don't just blurt it out like it's common sense or something. Quantify and massify it, don't just claim it.

If he said 'In my opinion it is one...' would you even be having this discussion. Opinion doesn't need god damn facts to back it up.

On topic... It is a hard one, on one hand the KIA song has such a disgusting use of Melodyne it hurts my ears. On the other, the Foo Fighters song was just bland.

KIA purely because the synth bass sound would be nice and relaxing if not for the ridiculous vocalage.

There's just no feeling to it, that's very important.

No feeling? I find that song so relaxin, sittin with a j and lots of bass while listening to that song just make me so relaxed, its a beast.

As i nominated it, MIA :D

Never been a fan of the foo's

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!