N-Europe

Things which don't make sense in films

EEVILMURRAY

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creating the Ring simultaneously strengthened and weakened Sauron's power. On the one hand, as long as Sauron had the Ring, he could control the power of all the other Rings, and thus he was significantly more powerful after its creation than before; and, perhaps even more favourably, putting such a great portion of his own power into the Ring ensured Sauron's invulnerability so long as the Ring existed. On the other hand, by bounding his power within the Ring, Sauron became dependent on it — without it he lost much of his power and when cut from his hand he was unable to regain a physical form for 2,500 years.

It's called balancing things out.

OW what you're saying is exactly the kind of thing I hate. Something that doesn't have a message is meaningless and pointless? I'm sorry but that's an enormous pile of BS. Really big. Huge. Honestly and since we're friends I feel free to say this, it's elitist crap.

You make it sound as if I do it only because it's famous. I do not! I bash it because I found the book uber shit.

On the mention of this, I have a question of the movies. No doubt I wasn't paying attention:

Sauron seems quite the badass, but some chap lops off this ring finger and he practically dies. They say his life is bound to the ring, that's why it must be destroyed blah blah. So, how much of a badass/pansy was he before he made the rings?

What I'm saying is that it's an unconscious thing a lot of people do. I was kinda kidding when saying you thought so, but since you're oversimplifying and don't understand the story, finding it shit doesn't mean much to me. Still I'm just kidding, I'm not saying that's what you do, it is something that happens a lot too. And so does the reverse.

Why the hell are you t alking about Chewbacca and Endor, he has absolutely nothing to do with it. Except for hair.

you're oversimplifying and don't understand the story

:blank: I understand it well.

For those of you that didn't understand Mundi's point about Chewbacca...

It wasn't a point. He was quoting a South Park scene, where a lawyer won a case by talking about random, unrelated stuff that made no sense whatsoever.

That was a quality episode.

To be fair to everyone involved, not seeing LOTR is excusable, since it leaves you with absolutely nothing, but not having seen (the original) Star Wars and The Terminator is just wrong.

I have no idea what the hell you're saying, but he's young, LOTR came out in his life span, the others did not. Or if they did he was too young.

It's still wrong and not seeing what probably are the best movies of the genre (at least I can't think of a better one, such gargantuan productions, rivaled only by SW and maybe Indiana Jones is not excusable.

Oh well...

To be fair, I never watched the original Star Wars trilogy, either

(but that's mainly because I got everything spoiled for me everywhere. I pretty much knew almost everything that happened in the films...when I was about 10. Any interest I might've had vanished with the revelations.)

But not having watched LOTR? Qualé?

Oh well...

(but that's mainly because I got everything spoiled for me everywhere. I pretty much knew almost everything that happened in the films...when I was about 10. Any interest I might've had vanished with the revelations.)

Star Wars Episode IV is one of my favourite movies ever.

I just love how it's so self-contained, yet so many questions are left unanswered. Like, it's literally a lovely glimpse into the expansive universe, but doesn't dare venture, yet shows no signs of restraint.

Really hard to explain what I mean, but I assure you it's lovely.

I love Leia's hair aswell. And the fact Han Solo is attractive, but not really. And the fact that Darth Vader isn't even that good at fighting, yet is really scarey.

Lord Of The Rings is just really unimpressive IMO. Like, I just get bored watching it - and I realise it took almost decade to film, and the attention to detail is immense. But for me, that does not a film make.

I've watched the Trilogy about 4 or 5 times, and each time I'm left wanting more. (Actually, I'm usually glad they're over).

Maybe it's just the subject material, but I've never been a fan of LOTR.

By no means an essential film to see IMO.

Oh well...

Seriously, watch it, it's not about knowing what's gonna happen or not. If it was I couldn't have watched them dozens and dozens and dozens of times.

Watch them, it's your Christmas present to yourself.

Lord Of The Rings is just really unimpressive IMO.

Impressive is precisely the word I would choose if I asked me to describe LOTR in one word :P

OW what you're saying is exactly the kind of thing I hate. Something that doesn't have a message is meaningless and pointless? I'm sorry but that's an enormous pile of BS.

Na, to quote our good friend (I wish) Samuel L Jackson, "it's all a matter of deductive logic". If something doesn't have a message, it has no point to make, rendering it meaningless and is therefore exclusively entertainment. Does that mean it can't be awesome and great? No. It doesn't. But it's still quite pointless. Let's put it this way... LOTR has no cultural relevance (excluding pop culture, obviously), and Baraka is one of the most relevant movies ever made, as it has a very important and poignant reality to explore. Now, LOTR is completely pointless and Baraka is one of the most important works of the last 100 years. And LOTR is still a better movie than Baraka (as awesome as Baraka is). Point being, wether or not something is poignant has nothing to do with wether or not it is good (or in this case, great). Is LOTR awesome? Yes, indeed, it is! It is inarguably a masterpiece of contemporary cinema and I love it. Is there a point to it? Is it important outside of it's entertainment value? Did it have any cultural impact (again, excluding pop culture, where it's pretty much had "THE" impact, as opposed to "an" impact)? No. It contributed only to changing the entertainment industry (for the best, might I add), which is in itself a completely meaningless industry.

Now, let's get this straight, LOTR has pretty much earned all the respect it's given. It's a milestone no matter how you choose to look at it, and on top of that, it's bloody amazing, in a word: awesome. But it's still utterly and completely pointless.

Just because I like it doesn't mean I need to validate it as something more than it is. Hell, half of what I do is completely pointless! I'm a gamer! Gaming is meaningless, it's pure entertainment! It's still one of my favourite types of said entertainment, and I'm not gonna stop doing it because it's meaningless, as I love it and I couldn't care less wether or not there's a point to it! It doesn't suddenly become worst just because it's pointless. But I'm not gonna say there's a meaning to it when I know very well it's only purpose is to keep me busy and relaxed.

Why would you put all your life into an object?

Really pointless, in the long run.

Chairdriver, he didn't put all his life into the ring, he bonded his life essence between himself and the ring, and so, when he lost his body, he remained alive through the ring, instead of just dying, eventually prolonging his life for 2000 years or whatever. Not that pointless, is it?

Maase's pretty much a little turd (meaning he's young, not that he's shitty), so it's forgivable, but Jonnas, your sin is unforgivable. Like... COMPLETELY.