NEurope

Ig ubisoft put more money and effort into their wii releases, then maybe, juts maybe they'd see profit.

i think some companies felt comfortable just to jump on the casual gaming bandwagon due to the fact that others were seeing success with their titles. However, this in turn over saturated the market and their were too many games that were too similar going for teh same audience.

Also, say CoD: WaW, if ubisoft were not happy with the sales, they only have to realise that it isnt the sort of game they should be putting out for the console. If you want a CoD game, you will own a HD console due to the fact it is a graphical monster with amazing online.

Wii games should be original/unique titles to the wii, not ported titles with tacked on motion controls. I think too many companies fail to realise this, and when Fifa 10 for wii doesnt sell as well as Fifa 10 for 360......they think "why bother with the wii". the fact of the matter is they never bothered with the wii in the first place. They just dumped a graphically and online inferior title into the market place, and expected it to sell.

However, the wii audience is to blame for this as well. If original and decent rated titles like NMH and A Boy and his Blob sold as well as they should, then the proof of a good market is there. But when wii owners get the titles they are demanding, yet do not buy, then what else is left than a massive WTF in the heads of company CEOs all arond the world?

Ya like anyone is going to take ubisoft seriously ? God help us if they actually decide to make movies.

But UbiSoft had profit with Red Steel sales then start releasing games like Petz Rescue: Endangered Island, Petz Rescue: Wildlife Vet, Petz: Crazy Monkeyz etc. In turn force more making big franchise like AC on PS3,360,PSP,DS,PC than on the Wii.

Are they really loosing profits, or just not getting money hand over fist for releasing games that well...could be described with slightly different fist and hand actions?

By the sounds of it ubisoft aren't making as much as they want to make. However, when you consider a large audience and the poor quality of titles they have put out recently, is it any wonder?

I think ubi, barring the launch window, has seen the wii as the fast and easy option to fund their major games. Pump littles cash and few resources into wii titles, meaning more of the turnover is now profit, and then pump this profit into big budget titles that will sell on the HD consoles.

Maybe if they used some of the profit on funding bigger and better wii endeavours then their commitment to the console would fuel profit.

Alas, what do i know, i.m just a gamer and not a head of a multinational corp.

Ig ubisoft put more money and effort into their wii releases, then maybe, juts maybe they'd see profit.

i think some companies felt comfortable just to jump on the casual gaming bandwagon due to the fact that others were seeing success with their titles. However, this in turn over saturated the market and their were too many games that were too similar going for teh same audience.

Also, say CoD: WaW, if ubisoft were not happy with the sales, they only have to realise that it isnt the sort of game they should be putting out for the console. If you want a CoD game, you will own a HD console due to the fact it is a graphical monster with amazing online.

Wii games should be original/unique titles to the wii, not ported titles with tacked on motion controls. I think too many companies fail to realise this, and when Fifa 10 for wii doesnt sell as well as Fifa 10 for 360......they think "why bother with the wii". the fact of the matter is they never bothered with the wii in the first place. They just dumped a graphically and online inferior title into the market place, and expected it to sell.

However, the wii audience is to blame for this as well. If original and decent rated titles like NMH and A Boy and his Blob sold as well as they should, then the proof of a good market is there. But when wii owners get the titles they are demanding, yet do not buy, then what else is left than a massive WTF in the heads of company CEOs all arond the world?

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

yeah i got ubi confused with activison, so sue me. What i said still serves a point. The people who look to buy COD year on year are the same people who own a ps3 or an xbox. Releasing an inferior product on a weaker console then expecting it to sell just as much is a stupid business plan.

yeah i got ubi confused with activison, so sue me. What i said still serves a point. The people who look to buy COD year on year are the same people who own a ps3 or an xbox. Releasing an inferior product on a weaker console then expecting it to sell just as much is a stupid business plan.

What about the people who buy COD on the Wii? Doesn't that destroy your logic? It's a bit unfair to rule out Wii owners from buying these games.

If Modern Warfare 2 was released on the Wii I'd have bought that, but CoD4; no thanks, I've already played that to death on the 360.

That was Activision's problem in expecting it to sell well.

What about the people who buy COD on the Wii? Doesn't that destroy your logic? It's a bit unfair to rule out Wii owners from buying these games.

He never said it didn't sell, he said it didn't sell that well. Which (and I'm assuming we're talking about W@W here), it didn't sell all that well compared to the other versions, but it still actually sold decently.

He never said it didn't sell, he said it didn't sell that well. Which (and I'm assuming we're talking about W@W here), it didn't sell all that well compared to the other versions, but it still actually sold decently.

There's a number of factors that need to be taken into account there, however. I'm not sure what the marketing was like for World at War, but the campaign for Modern Warfare hasn't been great, at all. It's all well and good companies complaining that their stuff isn't selling, but if they're not actually advertising the games, then it isn't going to achieve its potential. How often do you still see adverts for WiiFit or Mario Kart? And they still sell well consistently after launch. Granted, they're first party games and very important. But, it's a bit of a slap in the face seeing so many Modern Warfare 1 and 2 ads for the 360 and PS3 and then not hearing a peep when the Wii version rolls around.

To me, it just seems as if they have no faith in the games selling on the Wii in the first place, so they put as little effort as possible, particularly when it comes to raising awareness for their products. So many third parties are guilty of this.

...but the campaign for Modern Warfare hasn't been great, at all.

Stick with it, it totally improves! :P

In all seriousness though I second your thoughts. Developers have no faith even with the install base. Mind you, it says more about the developers than the console or console owners IMO.

Stick with it, it totally improves! :P

In all seriousness though I second your thoughts. Developers have no faith even with the install base. Mind you, it says more about the developers than the console or console owners IMO.

Haha, well played.

If they really have negative thoughts about the console owners, then surely they should be working twice as hard to gain recognition? I don't know the total number of Wii's sold, but the install base is pretty damn big. There's a lot of consumers in there and they all have different needs. Many want quality shooters. But, releasing the game and finding it on the bottom shelf at Gamestation isn't good enough. Too many times have I walked past the Wii section and thought "Huh, didn't know that was out..."

It reminds me of Nintendo's own effort with Wario World for the Gamecube. They must have hired the SAS to sneak into the shop of every game store or retailer in the country and place this in their stock.

I think it has a lot to do with how Nintendo markets the console itself.

I remember Activision's 'strategy' for World at War fairly well.

Any advert you saw on television focussed solely on the HD versions. This is predictable enough, but I think it really would have helped if they had just bunged in four seconds of "Also available on Wii, with super awesome pointer controls", or something like that.

But the most baffling thing was how they handled the Wii version in terms of the media. It was seriously almost as bad as Modern Warfare: Reflex - they hadn't even released all the details of the game by the time it was out. I had very little idea of what online features were in the game, there were hardly any screens and only one Wii-specific trailer from E3. By the time it launched in November, the only hands-on coverage available was the previews from back at E3.

Despite all this, is was a damn solid game that flew past a million units in under a year. I can't help but think Activision could have doubled that easily if they'd actually tried to get the Wii version in the eyes of the mainstream audience, who we are told so often monopolise the Wii demographic.

DQ6 & Last Window gameplay at the end of the 2nd video.

Edited by Dante

I think it has a lot to do with how Nintendo markets the console itself.

yeah exactly. The console is constantly being aimed at familys and people past their teens (anyone seen the Ant and Dec Tv adverts? Seriously what the...). I mean the last time I saw Nintendo even ATTEMPT to go after serious gamers with an advert was the TV advert for Metroid Prime 3 but even that didn't shown too often and even showed a girl played it (girls play Metroid?). Hell, I'm not asking for a Gears style marketing campaign but it's the Wii's defining core game so more than the odd advert would have been good. I'm sick to death of watching the Ant and Dec ads where they turn up to weightwatchers meetings and are like 'WE LOVE THE WII'.

I dunno it just clearly shows where there priorities are (which is obviously where the money lies).

By Nintendo themselves, I've seen much better advertising on the Internet as opposed to TV commercials. I figure they thing hardcore gamers don't watch TV.

DQ6 & Last Window gameplay at the end of the 2nd video.

thanks for that, I can't believe who HUGE next year will be, it will be like all the systems greatest year :bouncy::bouncy:

I dunno it just clearly shows where there priorities are (which is obviously where the money lies).

Business understanding Fail.

Nintendo know that their core games base read sites like this, or IGN and know when stuff's coming out. That demographic knows when titles are coming out, and to push that point further, Nintendo show core game ads online (which they do).

Why market MP3 on television? We all knew when it was going to be released, what it looked like, what it sounded like. We don't need television ads to realise that there's a new Metroid Prime title coming out. This is contrasted by casual gamers as you'd imagine, who don't constantly mash F5 while on IGN to read the latest updates on EA rifling franchises, or Ubisoft reporting bajillion dollar losses. Thus, they don't know when these things are going to be released, which is why television advertising is suitable for them. Finally, of course their priority is making money. What kind of a terrible business would want anything else?

[/rant]

Edited by LostOverThere

Update on Ubisoft!

For all the BS in this thread, I'm surprised no one has taken kotaku to task for this ridiculous reporting. It's so far out of context, it's a complete lie. .

First, the conference call is regarding Ubisoft's first half-year outcome.... which ended September 30th. Ubisoft released their sales data earlier in November for this same period. This is their platform breakdown:

1st  6-months Breakdown of Sales by Platform

System         2009     2008
DS              23%      37%
PC              17%      14%
PS2              2%       3%
PS3             15%      21%
PSP              5%       4%
Wii             22%      11%
360             14%       9%
other            2%       0%

The Wii is clearly not to blame for their loses, nor has Ubisoft ever blamed the system for their loses.

Second, Guillemot's statement is being over-analyzed and taken out of context. The purpose of that statement was to distract people from otherwise poor results... nothing more. It was comments about recent sales and next quarter's guidance having nothing to do with the rest of the report. Guillemot was not bashing the Wii at all... in any way, shape, or form.

Third, its quite obvious that that article is merely reciting the press release without actually listening to the conference call. Nothing beyond the first page of the release is quoted, nor is any additional information from CC noted. There is a lot information being ignored for this article to reach its conclusion.

Highlights from the conference call:

- It was a pain in the ass to understand. Why can't the french speak better english?

- Ubisoft is not changing the future guidance; it's too early in the season to know how sales will go.

- Regarding AC2... online breakdown is about 55% on 360 to 45% PS3 (although when he first says this it sounded like he said 65% 360 to 45% PS3)

- Regarding Wii software sales... 'some games are meeting expectations, some are not.' They refused to say which titles did what, claiming that they were still waiting for more numbers and that it was too early to know...

- ... They did claim that "Rabbids Go Home is taking off."

- Two investors phrased their questions in a way that would make this thread proud. One called Wii software sales a "malaise," the other saying that the Wii wasn't helping the industry. The Ubisoft reps shot down both suggestions, stating that they expect the Wii to have huge December and that 'the system has a high penetration and can be very profitable with quality software.'

- Ubisoft expects most of THEIR growth for the next year to come mainly from the 360 and PS3. (Looking at their current results its not surprising)

- 10 Natal and 5 PS3 wand games are currently expected within the first year of each accessory. 70% of those titles will be new IP's. They are focusing on the casual market.

- New PoP will cater to both hardcore and casual gamers... with 'lots of action' and I got the impression that they were saying that they were going to make it easier for the casual gamer.

Edited by Dante

Just a quick question. I'm interested in recording video footage from my Wii to my computer. I was wondering where I could get the appropriate cable to allow me to do so.

Thanks.

Business understanding Fail.

Nintendo know that their core games base read sites like this, or IGN and know when stuff's coming out. That demographic knows when titles are coming out, and to push that point further, Nintendo show core game ads online (which they do).

Why market MP3 on television? We all knew when it was going to be released, what it looked like, what it sounded like. We don't need television ads to realise that there's a new Metroid Prime title coming out. This is contrasted by casual gamers as you'd imagine, who don't constantly mash F5 while on IGN to read the latest updates on EA rifling franchises, or Ubisoft reporting bajillion dollar losses. Thus, they don't know when these things are going to be released, which is why television advertising is suitable for them. Finally, of course their priority is making money. What kind of a terrible business would want anything else?

[/rant]

They might be appealing to gamers that they still have and have followed them for a while (n64 days etc) but answer me, why have so few 360 gamers and PS3 gamers dismissed the Wii and why have so many wii core gamers gone and got another console. Nintendo hasn't made much of an attempt at grabbing the core gamers from 360/PS3 even since the launch of M+ which was supposed to help with the whole 'waggle' issue. Look at the number of 360's sold worldwide and ask yourself, how many of those own Wii's (same for PS3 owners). There's a lot of core gamers out there and unlike previous generations we're seeing a lot of people own 2 consoles; Nintendo should be trying to reach those who dismissed the Wii as a gimmick and it doesn't help when all they see on TV are adverts for Wii Fit. That said, launching a new Zelda next year with a price cut or something will bring a lot of people over but we all know thats because its a special franchise.

Next year's still going to be an amazing year for the console though. Its hard to tell what happened for the last year and a half, but if Metroid Other M, Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda Wii are all as good as most of us are expecting them to be, All is forgiven IMO.

The main reasons its less appealing to buy a Wii if you already own another console are probably these though:

-Lack of AAA games since early 2008

-Lack of multiplatform games

-Games don't look as good

-Very few extra features