NEurope

I though the 'does the software maintain it's value' question/comment quite interesting.

I'd say that games like Kirby's Epic Yarn don't particularly hold their value... and yet they are priced exactly the same as any other First Party Titles?

This is a misgiving I have... A lot of the games they release seem very appealing, but I can't see them as full price.

Does anyone know if Samarai showdown and Art of fighting collection wii were ever released in the uk?

Apart from Zelda. What's coming to Wii for the rest of this year? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something along the lines of a New Super Mario Bros 2.

Apart from Zelda. What's coming to Wii for the rest of this year? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something along the lines of a New Super Mario Bros 2.

Wait till E3, 3DS is all that Nintendo are focused on now (At the moment). And the next New Super Mario Bros won't be Wii-bound, will be announced for 3DS.

Rhythm Paradise Wii

Conduit 2

Kirby of the Stars

RPG LOVIN' (Hopefully)

and, ....some unannounced second half gems like Pikmin 3 and a new IP from Miyamoto.

Looking on GAME's coming soon list, there's nothing on there I want (minus Skyward Sword) coming up. Can't think of anything known to be coming out that isn't on the list either. Even after E3 there's bound to be few months delay before the games start coming out.

Good chance to catch up on the backlog though.

Anyone else craving a new Nintendo console even more after the 3DS launch? Beforehand I was really enjoying Black ops and Donkey Kong and looking forward to ploughing through my backlog (which is insane). But now the 3DS is out I struggle to get motivated to play the Wii and feel like a new console would really kick life and excitement back into it. It's probably just the freshness of a new launch and will subside soon, especially if there are the expected Wii announcements at E3, but I wouldn't complain and feel it's time for a new announcement.

Anyone else craving a new Nintendo console even more after the 3DS launch?

Sort of, yeah, and also sort of the opposite! I love the 3DS so much, I want to play that all the time, play loads and loads of games on it and swap data on them all in the street. In this way, I'm not bothered if I simply don't play on a home console for a while.

On the other hand, it'd be great to have a new one. I'd absolutely love to visit Wuhu Island again, but this time to be able to explore on foot and enter all the buildings. Maybe this could be the hub world for the Wii 2?

On the other hand, it'd be great to have a new one. I'd absolutely love to visit Wuhu Island again, but this time to be able to explore on foot and enter all the buildings. Maybe this could be the hub world for the Wii 2?

Yeah, they could do a lot more with that island. Something like a murder mystery adventure in the holiday paradise would be cool. ^^

Not sure about hub worlds vs. menus though. A cross between second life and Wii Sports Resort as build in functionality might work great on Wuhu island, but I'm rather unsure it's anything Nintendo would even consider. Even less as a hub to the console's functions. Not that I wanted any other hub than a basic menu itself...

Sort of, yeah, and also sort of the opposite! I love the 3DS so much, I want to play that all the time, play loads and loads of games on it and swap data on them all in the street. In this way, I'm not bothered if I simply don't play on a home console for a while.

Yeah, they could do a lot more with that island. Something like a murder mystery adventure in the holiday paradise would be cool. ^^

Not sure about hub worlds vs. menus though. A cross between second life and Wii Sports Resort as build in functionality might work great on Wuhu island, but I'm rather unsure it's anything Nintendo would even consider. Even less as a hub to the console's functions. Not that I wanted any other hub than a basic menu itself...

Wuhu Island as a Hub would be a great idea especially if it allows you to wander around and play the WSR games. And then depending on the game in the disc slot, or the recognized saves files/downloads it could add new features to the world.

They could add animal crossing style season events to it as well and even take the weather from the Weather Channel to alter the state of the world.

As long as there is an option to bring up a menu at any time too as well to make things easier if you don't want to faff around in the world.

Of course it sounds like an awful lot of effort but it would be a built in game essentially and they could advertise it/try to justify the cost on that basis. They wouldn't want to take too many ideas from games they could sell at retail with a more handsome markup. So you're right, it does seem highly unlikely/generous... unless it came with a monstrous price tag.

I think in theory it all sounds great, but in practice it won't work. Sometimes people just want get in and play the game, or go on the internet etc etc. HOME is a fantastic idea, but in practice it's pretty bollocks and I fear this being the same. As an OPTION though it can't hurt!

Well, I for one would love to endure an epic climb of Mt. Tenganamanga to be able to get to the hidden screen which lets me in the Wii2 Shop Channel.

Or row myself all the way to that deserted rock in the distance to start playing the game I inserted an hour ago.

Edited by Fused King

Well, I for one would love to endure an epic climb of Mt. Tenganamanga to be able to get to the hidden screen which lets me in the Wii2 Shop Channel.

Or row myself all the way to that deserted rock in the distance to start playing the game I inserted and hour ago.

Yeah, the way you have to go into the StreetPass Plaza to play a 3DS game...

I don't quite feel ready for a new console. It's been a great four or so years with the Wii so far, but I still think that there's a lot that the system has to give yet. MotionPlus has plenty of untapped potential, and with games like Xenoblade pushing the boundaries in the West, I think it could go for another couple of years yet.

I don't quite feel ready for a new console. It's been a great four or so years with the Wii so far, but I still think that there's a lot that the system has to give yet. MotionPlus has plenty of untapped potential, and with games like Xenoblade pushing the boundaries in the West, I think it could go for another couple of years yet.

But one of Nintendos biggest problems, is that they release great things like motionplus, and don't use it themselves, so why would 3rd parties (though 3rd parties (i.e. ubisoft) have used it better than they have!)... It will remain 'untapped potential' whether the Wii stays around for a year or 4 years, Zelda will be, on reflection, the ONLY big game that uses the motionplus which is disgraceful.

I just feel the Wii is so far behind currently and unless E3 has some new stuff there isn't loads of stuff, and 3rd parties have as good as given up on it (not including the ones that've been worked on for year - DQX). I say let's have one fantastic year with Zelda, DQ10 and a few others and Wii2 next year to really compete on all levels.

I think the Wii is starting to show it's age now. The whole graphics thing doesn't bother me, when in capable hands the Wii can pull off great visuals. The thing that is dragging the machine down is quite simply the online infrastructure, or lack of it.

It's something that has been missing from the start of the systems life but as the years have gone by it has become more apparent, especially when XBL and PSN have been getting upgrades all the time. Even the 3DS has shown up the Wii when it comes to online gaming.

The Wiiware service needs a big overhaul aswell. Nintendo need to start support it themselves and stop the massive amount of shovelware that has raped the service.

Iwata went on about the lack of quality in games at GDC and how smartphones offer free games but lack quality. He only needed to look at the DSiWare and Wiiware service to see a great example of this lack of quality, except people have to pay for these titles.

The size limits have to be lifted or at least increased for Wiiware software to free up the developers hands. Sure they can work around the size limits, but why should they? Being a multiconsole owner I can tell you, as many others will on here, that some of the best titles on the other consoles are from the XBL/PSN services. Games such as Braid, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, Scott Pilgrim, Costume Quest etc.

These things, for me at least, are what makes the Wii seem outdated.

The thing that is dragging the machine down is quite simply the online infrastructure, or lack of it.

It's something that has been missing from the start of the systems life but as the years have gone by it has become more apparent, especially when XBL and PSN have been getting upgrades all the time. Even the 3DS has shown up the Wii when it comes to online gaming.

The Wiiware service needs a big overhaul aswell. Nintendo need to start support it themselves and stop the massive amount of shovelware that has raped the service.

Conceptually speaking, absolutely. The system design is just too idiotic.

I doubt anything is going to happen though. The Wii's whole "OS" doesn't seem to be exactly well designed for adding or changing functionality. And what would they gain by giving it an overhaul at this point in time? Would anyone, who gave up on the Wii, because it was too frustrating and got a PS360 instead, come back now? They should know that the Wii is a lost case in that respect. They'll probably focus completely on the 3DS this year and the next and come out with a new home console somewhere between 2012/13.

And what would they gain by giving it an overhaul at this point in time? Would anyone, who gave up on the Wii, because it was too frustrating and got a PS360 instead, come back now?

It would just be something nice for us current Wii using gamers. :hmm:

It would just be something nice for us current Wii using gamers. :hmm:

No doubt about that. Still, whoever keeps using the Wii at this point will probably use it to play any last big games they bring out anyway.

At least Xenoblade, Last Story (hopefully!) and Zelda SS are sure purchases for me at this point, no matter what they do with the system. As much as I would like the Wii's whole system design to not suck however, I believe everybody gains more, when they focus their online efforts on the 3DS, where they still have to lose something, instead of a console where their efforts would come about three years too late anyway.

Conceptually speaking, absolutely. The system design is just too idiotic.

I doubt anything is going to happen though. The Wii's whole "OS" doesn't seem to be exactly well designed for adding or changing functionality. And what would they gain by giving it an overhaul at this point in time? Would anyone, who gave up on the Wii, because it was too frustrating and got a PS360 instead, come back now? They should know that the Wii is a lost case in that respect. They'll probably focus completely on the 3DS this year and the next and come out with a new home console somewhere between 2012/13.

I meant that these problems need to be sorted for the next console.

I meant that these problems need to be sorted for the next console.

Which - for now - is the 3DS. ;) They can't wait another two years in order to finally get their act together in terms of online.

I think Wii's single biggest design mistake is only 512 MB internal storage. This crucially limits both updates for the OS itself and the games as well as forced Nintendo to do a 40 MB limit on WiiWare (the iPhone App limit is 2 GB). Also demos are not doable with so little free storage.

I also believe Nintendo would have sold more VC games if you could have all the games on the machine itself and not being forced to delete them/copy them to SD cards.