NEurope
Daft

Fallout 3

I found that Point Lookout and Broken Steel were the best. Point lookout had a few great sidequests in it, plus a large area to explore, while Broken steel had the level cap and a lot of content that felt like it was part of the main game.

I would still play the others though if you're getting them for free.

Mothership Zeta felt odd. It basically takes you away from the amazing setting of the wasteland and puts you on a shiny, futuristic spaceship. Fallout is supposed to be about a bizarre retro, derelict future, not shiny new stuff.

It wasn't too bad in itself, just didn't feel very Fallout-ey.

The other addons aren't too bad, but they're not as good as the main game. I seem to remember Point Lookout and Broken Steel being the best of the bunch. Can't remember much at all of Broken Steel come to think of it.

Dwarf, you have the dlc so wrong. Anchorage puts me to sleep, havent even finished it yet. Mothership zeta was bloody awesome. Listen to the audio tapes to get the full experience. The pitt is pretty cool, especially for the bonus weapons that you get, but I hated the lame collection trophy. Collected about 97 of 100 ingots ¬_¬. Point lookout I have yet to try but will do soon. Broken steel feels broken in that it adds some ridiculously overpowered new enemies (overpowered if you play on max difficulty) and a host of bugs. Actually to be fair, all the dlc add some nasty bugs here or there. Oh and the extra skills/feats/w.e. are largely crap.

Edited by Deathjam

No, I'm right. They're all pretty shite, but Anchorage gives you awesome shit at the end. And some of it is okay.

My reviews at the top of the last page sum up my feelings, except the scores were overgenerous.

The Pitt's environment is cool, the plot/characters are cool, and the tower ascent/ingot hunt is fun. But there were so many bugs with it.

I agree with the overpowered Broken Steel enemies. The Overlords take the fucking piss. Especially when I realised they are put into many tight corridoors, IN PAIRS!

Takes 5 alien blasters to the brain or a mini nuke to even affect them (hyperbole). Also, they're tri-laser guns do gigaton damage, yet when you use them the effectiveness ir divided by 80 yards ber squared amp.

However, if you have 100 stealth, go into sneak mode, and have the Anchorage chinese stealth armour, you can just melee them constantly and they'll never attack you, they just turn around on confusion.

Zeta is a fucking abomination. I'm not budging on that ground. The aliens are awful enemies, headshots barely work on them, and they're pretty much the only tings you encounter. Plus everywhere is copy and pasted bullshit.

No, I'm right. They're all pretty shite, but Anchorage gives you awesome shit at the end. And some of it is okay.

My reviews at the top of the last page sum up my feelings, except the scores were overgenerous.

The Pitt's environment is cool, the plot/characters are cool, and the tower ascent/ingot hunt is fun. But there were so many bugs with it.

I agree with the overpowered Broken Steel enemies. The Overlords take the fucking piss. Especially when I realised they are put into many tight corridoors, IN PAIRS!

Takes 5 alien blasters to the brain or a mini nuke to even affect them (hyperbole). Also, they're tri-laser guns do gigaton damage, yet when you use them the effectiveness ir divided by 80 yards ber squared amp.

However, if you have 100 stealth, go into sneak mode, and have the Anchorage chinese stealth armour, you can just melee them constantly and they'll never attack you, they just turn around on confusion.

Zeta is a fucking abomination. I'm not budging on that ground. The aliens are awful enemies, headshots barely work on them, and they're pretty much the only tings you encounter. Plus everywhere is copy and pasted bullshit.

Zeta was too easy for me. 1 headshot, alien down. That's the only gripe I had with it really. That and the fricking japanese katana sword not spawning where it should have. Oh and the glitch that required you to reloads your save from fifteen minutes ago. If you only had one save and that glitch occurred, you were screwed.

Anchorage has been so bad for me. So dull, lifeless, and it slows down for me as if I am using an underpowered PC. Im playing it on the PS3

Well I'm gonna try out some of the DLC during extra life....links below for sponsors :santa:and thread in general chit chat for stream links...

So with New Vegas coming out as early as tomorrow, depending on region, and who you order/buy it from, I'm planning on spending some time playing Fallout 3 to try and finish some stuff up that I never got around to before. Mainly, exploring the North West quadrant of the map. So I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on places that everyone needs to experience in Fallout 3, that a lot of people might have missed if they didn't explore the game that thoroughly.

My list:

Oasis

Arlington Cemetery and the few buildings within it

The National Archives (There is a quest involved with it)

The Dunwich Building (Its part of a quest, but its not necessary to go here to complete the quest, also, bobble head)

The Hotel in Point Lookout (There's a quest involved with it, and what I would consider to be the best quest of the game)

Evergreen Mills, One of the largest raider settlements in the game, also, there's a super mutant behemoth in front of it.

The Capitol Building (Most have probably already explored this one, but its worth doing if you haven't)

-Takoma Park. It's a real bitch to find, but it's a pretty cool place

-Pinkerton's hideout is kinda weird

-There's a really fucking strange Vault, can't remember the number, but the place came down with a cloning condition. Think it has a bobble-lol.

-National Guard Depot (Experimental Mirv lolol)

-Deathclaw Sanctuary (?) (middle -west of map) bobble-lol

-There's this really weird place that you can access, it's basically just a rock with a banner atop it, you just click on the rock to enter. Nothing special, just weird. You climb out of a ladder on top of it to exit.

-Lots more. Incl. Emasher's stuff

-There's a really fucking strange Vault, can't remember the number, but the place came down with a cloning condition. Think it has a bobble-lol.

The one with Dave? That one was awesome.

City of Dave was great fun, and stumbling upon that viola lady's place and the UFO were both cool. The city of life... was that fallout? With the tree stuff?

Deathclaw Sanctuary (or whatevs.) was... harrrdd! And scary!

Nearly 2 years later (and add another 6 months since I actually got teh DLC) I've started playing it. I started from scratch to get the Bad Karma achievements (didn't bother taking advantage of workaround saves). Reached level 20 and needed 14 more speech challenges and figured 'what the hey'. Just had to move this save file over to my other HDD and there we are!

I was nearest the ferry for point lookout so I'm there at the moment. Speech challenges are now at 40 and I know that I still have City of Dave left in the wastelands which has something like 7 challenges. Currently about level 23, figure I will abuse the save system and hit the achievements for good/neutral/bad lvl 30 rather than get my good 20 up 10 levels. I think my neutral character is still only level 7, so maybe I'll switch to them as soon as I've hit 30 and use them to mop up the other DLC.

This thread is very conflicting about which DLC is best, and what order to do them in. From what people say it seems that Anchorage should be done first, if only for the weapons and armour. I still need to visit the Lyons to get heavy armour training with my dude.

In total I think my save files add up to something like 150 hours. I'll double-check though (may be out by 30 hours).

Coincidently I started New Vegas on PC last night (with all the DLC). Hopefully it'll leave a better impression last time as I thought Fallout 3 was much superior.

Going from NV to 3, it's hard to say. I had spent my NV playthrough thinking 3 was better but my re-run of 3 has made me reconsider. Predominantly, washington DC itself is where I snap -- the underground really stretches out my compulsion to explore every nook and cranny of every area -- I mean one of the lines crosses over another, and in sum there are at least 5 different exits that I HAVE to check out.

The deathclaws are still scary. Hoping heading back after the DLC will make them a bit more bearable.

NV has a much better morality system, that I didn't appreciate. In 3 it's too easy to get positive karma, and everyone forgets that you killed the whole town two hours earlier with far too much ease. I abused the morality in NV, though - I didn't role-play enough and instead tried to do EVERYTHING in one play-through. Looking forward to getting back to that. Not looking forwards to the glitches as they were far more invasive -- the ever-growing loading screens sucked, too.

It's rather... duh to say that NV is the best expansion, isn't it? I mean, it's a fully-fledged title. Ta for your input though!

My point was that it's not much of an improvement or a sequel, it's more of the same (same engine, same visuals, same premise) and that if you're looking for more Fallout 3, that's the way to go (didn't know if you'd played NV).

That's the reason I used the word add-on, reminds me of an expansion pack from back when they were good.

I need to start NV again, installed loads of mods then realised some made the game too easy and removed them hid the items in an area at the fringes of the map so i'd never encounter them, and it worked fine, then i get near the old airport and it crashes about 100m from it every damn time, except on a very specific route

I gave in and removed everything to start again

as for fallout 3 DLC, do mothership zeta last, the weapons are game destroyingly over powered (if you take energy weapons to the max with stats/perks) it just became too easy after that

My point was that it's not much of an improvement or a sequel, it's more of the same (same engine, same visuals, same premise) and that if you're looking for more Fallout 3, that's the way to go (didn't know if you'd played NV).

That's the reason I used the word add-on, reminds me of an expansion pack from back when they were good.

That's nice.

as for fallout 3 DLC, do mothership zeta last, the weapons are game destroyingly over powered (if you take energy weapons to the max with stats/perks) it just became too easy after that

... Unfortunately I started MZ before I saw this post :P I'll promise not to use these gained weapons for the other DLC - they are pretty powerful, it's ridiculous.

That's nice.

... Unfortunately I started MZ before I saw this post :P I'll promise not to use these gained weapons for the other DLC - they are pretty powerful' date=' it's ridiculous.[/quote']

it really is rediculous, i restarted the game when the GOTY edition came out for PC, did half the main quest then went to do zeta, finished it and discovered i could almost 1 shot kill everything, using certain alien weapons, some are more balanced though but still waaaaaay to powerful to get before completing the main quest and other DLC.

There were a lot of guns like that anyway, weren't there? There's that alien pistol in the wreckage, and I seem to remember getting a lot of 1-hit kills with the Lincoln Repeater from the museum. Always felt like there was a very steep curve when you went from barely scraping by with enough ammo to being a walking arsenal.

Lincoln Repeater is great - I find that the Alien Disintegrator ('best' gun on MZ I've got so far) is much faster at firing and reloading so it can deal a lot more damage a lot quicker and it's pretty accurate too. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that the alien weapons may be more effective against a wider range of enemy types, so it may be just as effective against deathclaws as it is against sentry bots. But yeah, the argument is more that MZ gives you even more one-shot-kills weapons.

At this point I've upped from a start on very easy to Normal and I think it might be wise to jump again. I accidentally paid for someone (with 100 repair) to fix all my stuff, which cost over 6,000 caps. I still have 4,000, and I have a ridiculous array of weapons. I have a fat man with something like 46 mini nukes... though every time I've used it it's blown me up along with it!

One-man-army feel = awesome. Feels earnt to an extent; I've just spent 30 hours trawling through irradiated sunken mines with giant mutants trying to claw my eyes out with 10-inch knives-for-fingers! But what is less awesome is if the rest of the game becomes watered down because you've gotten too powerful too soon. I think that's a tricky issue to balance with loads of DLC when it's not explicitly necessary to do them in any particular order. The Lincoln Repeater requires a good level of strength to best the Super Mutants crawling in DC -- though getting the alien blaster (and the MZ signal) means you're dangerously close to Deathclaw zones.

55 hours later and that's level 30 done! Did what I should've done all along and abused the save system to get the neutral/good achievements as well as evil.

Now I've started a neutral save file - level 5 currently after about 3 hours play. I'm going to try to head to the MZ DLC asap as that's fantastic for levelling up, plus I need to get ALL the audio files (I missed 5). I get the feeling that staying neutral is going to be a bit of a bitch.

Oh yeah - and I'm now playing on Hard to get more EXP. I can't believe I finished the game on Very Easy the first time!

I did level 20 separately as Good, Evil and Neutral. However, for level 30 it was too much effort. Plus the perk for changing your alignment was just made for cheating. So I cheated for the level 30 ones.

I agree! They must've included those perks solely for the achievements. I got to 29 then used the Here and Now perk to jump to 30 to do it.

Congrats on the multiple playthroughs. How long did it take you?

I don't know why anyone would willingly trudge through Zeta more than once.

Is there any chance you have a screw loose?

Zeta was quite claustrophobic to play through, but novel in the whole premise. I feel I'm missing a trick or three with the chinese guy... Buy anyway - it wasn't a difficult set of missions, just a bit bland once you recognise that the benches full of alien tech is just like home... so the scavenging element of the game is out the window.

But it's just so easy to level up on the mothership. There's a bit where you can keep summoning what seems to be an endless supply of deathclaws and raiders for xp! Aliens gave me 65xp and only took a quick headshot to kill (mostly).

There's not enough negative to deter me from playing it again.

But yes; there's a 73% chance I have a screw loose - this goes up to 78% if you ask me again (in VATS).