NEurope
Daft

Fallout 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameboy

Do standard Fallout 3 saves work with GOTY edition?

According to the manual they do.

In Canada, buying the GotY Edition and selling your old copy is the best way to get the DLC. They're still selling the original version for $60 - $70, (so probably has a decent trade in value still), and the GotY Edition is $70, so for about $50 worth of DLC, it seems a no brainer. I'm not sure what the original game's going for in the UK though.

Fallout 3 saves work with GOTY edition but not if you live in Canada.

http://tinyurl.com/yauewn6

I thought we had the exact same version as in the US. Odd. I never had the original version, so its not a big deal for me I guess.

Yeah the Canadian version of Fallout 3 was localised and different to the American version. Bethesda are looking into why previous saves won't work with the GOTY edition but no patch to fix things just yet for that. Xbox 360 users don't have this problem however.

If you haven't got Fallout 3 then F3: GOTY edition is your best bet.

That game is such a time sponge, I had to stop playing for a while recently. You start a game and before you know it, it's 2am...where did all the time go....

Edited by sumo73

Yeah I know what you mean about it being a time sponge, on my first playthrough I put around 80 hours into it, and considering barring FIFA and PES I have probably never spent more than 20 hours playing a game, that was a rare occasion for me.

there'd be times when you're just walking round the wasteland and just enjoying the scenery or getting over a hill top to see a single shack in the far distance, and you decide to take the time out of doing a quest to just have a look around.

Unfortunately, i'm not the sort of guy who can play a game from the beginning again after experiencing all missions, so Fallout 3 is finished for me =[ but tell you what, I cannot wait till New Vegas comes out!!

Yeah I know what you mean about it being a time sponge, on my first playthrough I put around 80 hours into it, and considering barring FIFA and PES I have probably never spent more than 20 hours playing a game, that was a rare occasion for me.

there'd be times when you're just walking round the wasteland and just enjoying the scenery or getting over a hill top to see a single shack in the far distance, and you decide to take the time out of doing a quest to just have a look around.

Unfortunately, i'm not the sort of guy who can play a game from the beginning again after experiencing all missions, so Fallout 3 is finished for me =[ but tell you what, I cannot wait till New Vegas comes out!!

serisouly, try it again, but as the oposite karma, it feels very different.

I was going to play it again this time as evil but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I actually feel bad when I act evil in this game.

I was going to play it again this time as evil but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I actually feel bad when I act evil in this game.

Yeah I did one really evil thing and felt awful. Is it Rivet City where that bloke wants to commit suicide. I took the "evil" response as being more flippant than it obviously was and he jumped and killed himself. I think I'm gonna crack on with some this tonight...sit play some podcasts and this...still need to max out my level. Nice to see how the GOTY edition has got people talking about it again. With Dragon Age Origins not impressing me this may actually become my primary focus for a bit of RPG action for the next few months, although I am playing through one of the Dragon Quest games on the DS as well.

Edited by flameboy

I think the game was intended not for you to strictly follow one code of morality or the other - that's just the achievements channeling you! I did some bad things, but mostly good on my play-through, depending on my general mood at the time.

I hear you! 80ish hours was my tally as well, and I wanted to get some of the other achievements but... Well I'd just run a marathon after thinking it would be a short cross-country dash, and now I know what I'm in for it is harder to commit myself to such time.

But it's been ages since I've played, to the point where I still have rough memories of areas ingrained but a play-through would largely be nostalgic.

I too have been mostly good but have done some bad. I've never killed any good characters directly, but I did convince that guy to walk through the ally way filled with mines. I think I might play through the game again as evil. Has anyone tried playing the game a second time as the opposite gender from your fist play-through? Is it any different?

I'm still on my first play through this game and I've always been as good apart from when I got to Tenpenny Towers and mucked up one the quests.

I couldn't persuade the residents to allow the ghouls to move in. By the time I could there was already a sub plot with the ghouls which meant that I only had one choice left which was to let the ghouls and ferals in by force. Seeing all the humans killed made me feel bad.

I saw a review by someone from Bethesda who said that it's best to play as netural but personally I think the start of the game when your dad gives you advice that set me up to play as good. I would have played as good regardless.

However when complete this game and play again I'll play as bad and then again as netural. That time sponge is gonna take a long time....

I've just about completed operation anchorage now. I would have finished it, but I ended up getting that glitch that freezes the game when you load the auto save after being killed by the boss without restarting the console.

Its a great piece of DLC, very different from the main game. I especially liked sniping the chinese soldiers.

Edit: That Tranquility Lane (I think it was called) bit was seriously messed up. I've had the locations of the other vaults revealed at the citadel, the game's starting to get epic now.

Edited by Emasher

Tranquility Lane is one of my favorite bits of the game. Probably the most reminiscent of the originals, just with the oddity of it all and multiple ways of solving it.

Been playing a bit of Fallout to get the trophies I missed when the patch released late.

Feel a bit cruel, I saved Red and someone else from the super mutants in the Big Town quest, only to now send Red to the slavery camp of Paradise falls. In in the name of trophies. Good stuff.

Whaaaa, why didn't you blow the shit out of Paradise Falls?

One of my favourite parts in this re-run.

I already blew the shit out of Paradise Falls on my good playthrough when the trophies weren't out. I have to say it is fun being evil, pick pocketing and just not having to care about your actions is quality. I'm trying to max out both science and lockpick, with high sneak and overall weapon damage (not beam weapons).

I thought you gained karma if anything.

What was funny about the rescue quest is that I extorted 300 caps from red for saving her at the end, got double appreciation after protecting her village, and then she's collared fr slavery. Brilliant!

I did the same.

Since you loose karma for stealing from evil characters, I thought you would loose karma from killing them as well, as long as they didn't attack you first. I suppose if they're evil though, they'll drop fingers, which can be traded for good karma, so it should work out in the end.

I've had to bury this game in the back garden because if it goes anywhere near my 360 i loose days of free time.

I think I gained karma when blowing Paradise Falls to shit.

And the Dog was on the radio about how awesome I was.

Am finally done with this game after nearly a year, and well over 100 hours of gameplay.

The strange thing is, I've got all 72 achievements, have finished every single quest and side quest, and yet I still come across new areas and meet new people.

The size of this game is just mind boggling!

Can someone set my mind at ease?

I remember late in 2008 after playing Fallout a fair bit I came across the Drowned Devils Crossing. When I walked over this bridge, a dong-like noise sounded, but a really spooky one. Then the colour of the sky inverted for around 10 seconds before returning to normal.

So the other week I tried showing my friend this on his PC version. Nothing happened. Tried doing it at different times of day but to no avail. So then I thought it might be one of those random events that only occur occasionally on different playthroughs and circumstances. So I googled it and found zero evidence of anyone coming across this weird happening, no forum poster claiming they'd witnessed it, no youtube video, no Fallout Wiki mention - just a plain old bridge. I also searched for 'sky glitches' and the sort to see if it was just something that happened anywhere, which also turned up nothing.

So I must be mad and have terrible memory or I'm the only sod to have encountered it. It's weird because I feel quite solitary. Edit: the thing above sounds plausible because the name of the bridge is quite eery and so I thought it was definitely intentional.

Edited by dwarf

Can someone set my mind at ease?

I remember late in 2008 after playing Fallout a fair bit I came across the Drowned Devils Crossing. When I walked over this bridge, a dong-like noise sounded, but a really spooky one. Then the colour of the sky inverted for around 10 seconds before returning to normal.

So the other week I tried showing my friend this on his PC version. Nothing happened. Tried doing it at different times of day but to no avail. So then I thought it might be one of those random events that only occur occasionally on different playthroughs and circumstances. So I googled it and found zero evidence of anyone coming across this weird happening, no forum poster claiming they'd witnessed it, no youtube video, no Fallout Wiki mention - just a plain old bridge. I also searched for 'sky glitches' and the sort to see if it was just something that happened anywhere, which also turned up nothing.

So I must be mad and have terrible memory or I'm the only sod to have encountered it. It's weird because I feel quite solitary. Edit: the thing above sounds plausible because the name of the bridge is quite eery and so I thought it was definitely intentional.

I dunno could have been one of the many many glitches the game had that are just impossible to repeat....I had one where I walked into Megaton and it was all completely gray with characters floating around.

Yeah but it didn't seem like a glitch. As soon as I went over the crossing that weird noise sounded (it was at night) and then I looked at the sky it have inverted. It's called the drowned devils crossing... Just seems a bit too planned if you ask me, it's not like a conventional glitch that Ive seen in some videos.