N-Europe

X-Factor 2008

Slaggis

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard Alex's Hallelujah and I love it, it sounds cool. Of course, the original is going to be better but she's done a brilliant job of it, I reckon (but I still want Geraldine McQueen to be #1, I don't wanna put more money in Simon Cowell's pocket, haha, but well done Alex :)). I like Leona's Run but it's being overplayed on the radio now.

Most people moaning about it ruining the "original" are probably only annoyed because it ruined an O.C episode for them . Jeff Buckleys version is the best but it isn't the original like a lot of people seem to be saying.

MSN reports...

Alexandra challenged in charts

Alexandra Burke's record-breaking single Hallelujah is being rivalled in the Christmas charts by the Jeff Buckley version of the track.

Alexandra Burke's record-breaking single Hallelujah is being rivalled in the Christmas charts by the Jeff Buckley version of the track.

On Monday, the X Factor winner's debut single was confirmed as the fastest-selling download single ever across Europe and the version is seen as a dead cert to be Christmas No 1.

But in a twist to the tale, renewed interest in the Leonard Cohen song has seen demand for Jeff's classic cover - recorded in 1994 - gather pace.

Jeff's version of the song has crept up into third position in the unofficial provisional midweek charts.

If it climbs higher, this could mean two versions of the same song sitting at No 1 and No 2 in the Christmas charts.

HMV's Gennaro Castaldo said: "Alexandra's cover of Hallelujah has to be a massive favourite for the Christmas No 1 - the track has already been downloaded over 150,000 times, and it remains hmv.com's fastest-ever seller. But it's been such a bizarre year that I always thought that there could be some kind of twist.

"And it looks as if this may come in the guise of Jeff Buckley's classic cover version of the same song. It's now just behind Leona Lewis, at No 3, and we suddenly have the very real prospect of two different covers of the same song occupying the number one and two slots in the Official UK charts.

"I don't think this has ever happened in UK charts history, and certainly not for Christmas."

The physical CD single of Burke's version of the song will be available in the shops from tomorrow.

The release of the CD tommorrow will no doubt help Alexandra's version; which probably isn't realistically in any danger anyways!

Screw Alex and Jeff Buckley, this version by Kate Voegele is beautiful and by far the best in my opinion. She has such a nice voice and uses it to alter the song at pivotal points which make it her own. Brilliant. I like Jeff's version as well, but its very different being a mellow, male version. I think this Kate one proves just how bad Alex's really is.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v22NMAG1k18

Understated is definately the way to go with the song!

A contestant did it on the last series of American Idol and I think it's a good version.

It probably got a really good response from viewers as well, which is why Simon probably decided to do it as the winners song for this series of X Factor; well that and the fact he was gearing up for a Diana win!

Actually whatever anyone thinks of Alex's version, I'm just glad Diana didn't win and we'd have had to hear her version all over Christmas!!

Screw Alex and Jeff Buckley, this version by Kate Voegele is beautiful and by far the best in my opinion. She has such a nice voice and uses it to alter the song at pivotal points which make it her own. Brilliant. I like Jeff's version as well, but its very different being a mellow, male version. I think this Kate one proves just how bad Alex's really is.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v22NMAG1k18

Ah that would be the one they had on One Tree Hill, seeing as she was in the show. I really like that version as well.

Haven't heard this new one yet, don't really want to from the sounds of things, but I've decided that I'm gonna have a listen to as many versions as I can and decide my favourite.

Lind, Holm, Fuentes and Nilsen's version is the best. Then Rufus Wainwright's. Alex's was shite. I hate it how people think that because she is shouting she has a powerful voice. Her voice was pitiful when she was next to Beyonce. And why does she insist on wavering every single fucking line. It doesn't even sound good.

Okay, so I just listened to a few versions of Hallelujah...

Leonard Cohen made a great song, but it was so different to the other versions I had heard before it. It was strange, but can't say anything because it's his song.

Bob Dylan's was okay, but I couldn't get used to the way he sung. The structure just sounded too weird, couldn't keep up.

Rufus Wainwright's version is great. He's a talented musician. And as he was known as being a rival to Jeff Buckley, he would have been silly not to have recorded his own version.

As for John Cale, well he did a brilliant version. I can see why Eevil goes on about it. But it's the Buckley abuse he dishes out that makes me want to twot him on the nose with a kendo stick and say "Shat it!"

Then there's the Buckley. Of course, being a Buckley fanboy I would be biased and say that it's absolutely terrific and the best version. But it was all of Grace, not just Hallelujah, that turned me into a fan of his.

It's his version of the song that makes him well-known and revered, but I think Jeff was an amazing musician because Grace is such an amazing album. Not just because of this one song.

And then, lastly, Alexandra's version:

No. :shakehead

There's my thoughts.

As for John Cale, well he did a brilliant version. I can see why Eevil goes on about it. But it's the Buckley abuse he dishes out that makes me want to twot him on the nose with a kendo stick and say "Shat it!"

I don't dish out Buckley abuse! It's just his voice that blows ¬_¬

As Jav said, and I mentioned earlier, Kate Voegle's version is infact rather brilliant.

I'm not a massive fan of Buckleys to be honest.

Wow, didn't think I'd like Voegele's as much as I did! Very passionate.

The one I first knew, and still love, is by Kathryn William's, and for a female version, I prefer it over Voegele's, as I value the more introspective/soft approach to this song.

I'm uploading it to yut-tub.

Here ya go! *Yay I uploaded another video*

Now that I see the Bon Jovi video, I think he played that when I saw him in the summer. I recall my brother turning to me and saying "that the song in Shrek?"

Having a quick gander on his website, yes he did play it. Right about the time we left. >_>