N-Europe

Gaming in France?

flameboy

Obviously one of the things when going to Japan is all the quirky games you can pick up that you won't find anywhere else. Does the same exist in other countries? I am going to Paris in a few weeks and googled videogames shops and there seem to be a fair few so its something I am going to look into and take a look.

But will I find some odd quirky french games that I may not find here? I guess we do get it to some degrees in this country perhaps not quirky titles but a lot of games that would not appeal to the rest of the world.

Glad I got my euros a while back when the pound was stronger...

I wouldn't think so. They get the same games as us when you see various language choices..

+1. The reason Japan gets all those games is because there are a lot of developers there, and because of that, some games get developed just for the japanese market. I think the only major developer based in france is ubisoft, and they generally go after (or think they're going after) the mass market. I would imagine we would have heard of anything else that was france only.

+1. The reason Japan gets all those games is because there are a lot of developers there, and because of that, some games get developed just for the japanese market. I think the only major developer based in france is ubisoft, and they generally go after (or think they're going after) the mass market. I would imagine we would have heard of anything else that was france only.

I do agree to some extent but that doesn't mean there isn't anything...I mean in this country we do get games that cater to our market for example the shite that is Keith Chegwins party...

But you are right there aren't many french companies...infogrames/atari is the only other one that springs to mind...

Only a British would think that crossing the border to the nearest European country would represent the same cultural difference as a country in the other side of the world.

No, I don't think you'll find more original quirky games in France than you would do in the UK. Unless you mean something like "Qui veut gagner des millions ?".

What is up with the recent hard-on for grammar these days?

Can you understand what I´m writing? That´s fucking great.

Did you notice a spelling or an grammar fault?

Go blog about it there are more interesting things to talk about then to point at other peoples faults...

What is up with the recent hard-on for grammar these days?

Can you understand what I´m writing? That´s fucking great.

Go blog about it there are more interesting things to talk about then to point at other peoples faults...

It can still be very annoying to read certain mistakes, especially if they're repeated. Don't underestimate the importance of correct grammar.

First-hand experience here as I lived in France up until August this year! Everyone else is pretty much right though: you will not find much different, if at all. It's all the same stuff but in French packaging (my MK:Wii case is all in French!).

Games will usually be around the same price, perhaps even a bit more. Good shops to try are GAME obviously and Micromania which stocks a bugger load of good stuff! If you want an incredibly impressive range of games, go to Virgin Megastores on the Champs Elysees as there's tonnes of stuff there, plus when a big game comes out they usually have some sort of opening event and/or propaganda for it all over the place. I call it propaganda purely because it's everywhere. The day Brawl came out I saw posters and what not for it wherever I went, to the point which I was almost crying because I was unable to buy it!

How long are you going to Paris for out of interest?

But pointing other people's faults is fun...:(

Besides, I don't think talking about mistakes on a blog is more interesting than pointing them out at the person who made them, but that's me.

About the actual thread, you may find the same kind of exclusive national shit you find on your own country. That, and there might be some changed names (Otaria/Carapuce FTW!).

The only major cultural change won't be related to games, that's for sure. You may find more Disney-related articles in Paris, and better food, for example.

It can still be very annoying to read certain mistakes, especially if they're repeated. Don't underestimate the importance of correct grammar.

I bet everyone on this forum finds something annoying and can be solved with a simple PM and not derailing threads like what I´m doing.

So I´m gonna stop now.

Didn't you study English at school? It's grammatically incorrect to use those three words together in a sentence.

At first I thought it was because I hadn't written Keith Chegwin's

Just for the record I actually have a degree in english, but whilst writing on forums I type that fast and rarely proof read.

but like you said;

Uhhh, guys, I wasn't criticising his grammar. I was making a joke out of the fact that no one should speak badly of the god that is Keith Chegwin, but it's obviously gone over everyone's head. :(

Just seem we are the only people who noticed!

Anyway seems I may have been misguided in my thought that french culture may offer it's own take on games. They have a retro games shop in Paris may just pop in there to see what kind of retro they sell...may even pick something up...

Guest Jordan

Super random fact:

DragonBall Z Hyper Dimension (SNES) was only released in Japan and France. So yeah, if you want a quirky French game (apart from Tin Tin's gay adventures), try find that... for around £150 (from what i've seen on ebay!)

Super random fact:

DragonBall Z Hyper Dimension (SNES) was only released in Japan and France. So yeah, if you want a quirky French game (apart from Tin Tin's gay adventures), try find that... for around £150 (from what i've seen on ebay!)

Funny enough I bought that game when I was a kid, but it was the jap version.

Anyway, it's pretty much the same but from what I gathered when I went there, the prices and whatnot are the same but the FNAC stores have lots of cool promotions.

Super random fact:

Yeah, the French are big into animé and manga.

Like everyone has said though, the games are generally the same. Seeing as you are for Paris I'm guessing your main ports of call will be Virgin and Fnac where you aren't too likely to find anything overly quirky. I don't know how hard you are willing to look, but you might come across some seedy little import shops where you can pick up US games and stuff that isn't out in the EU yet.

You also might be able to grab the odd game thats not out in the UK yet because now and again there can be a one or two week difference between the EU and UK release!

EDIT: Oh, what about Manhunt 2 on Wii...?

Super random fact:

What about this game for the Mega Drive?

It was only released in France, Japan and Portugal (Japanese version). DBZ was huge around here, and the Mega Drive was the top-selling console, so...

Good times fiddling with the adaptor to try and make the characters speak some other language. And trying to figure out how to pull off Ginyu's body switch. I never learned how to do it.