N-Europe

Cost keck a bow aggen a woe an y'ed it till thee bost it?

Karl619

Lies. I'd just worked it out (I was reading it wrong in my head before) and came in here and you'd posted it.

I again refer you to Rule #1 of the Internet: Pics or it didn't happen!

I demand visual proof that you figured it up before him! And don't give me the "you can't take pictures of thoughts" or anything similarly pathetic!

There's an important distinction to make between a regional accent or dialect of a native speaker (and all native speakers have to have some sort of accent), and the foreign accent that non-native speakers have. I'm a native English speaker, and speak with received pronunciation, perhaps with a hint of Estuary. I'd say the English accent I like the sound of most is probably some form southern Irish, but I'm not really sure why.

Not being native in any other languages, I presumably speak them with mostly English accents, and my Japanese accent is probably the least foreign. (though still pretty poor I'd imagine) Incidentally, I'm told I speak what little Mandarin I know with a Japanese accent, which I found funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villan

The thread title means something about "Kicking a ball against a wall and heading until it bursts." (I don't know what 'cost' could be, but 'bost' was the dead giveaway. But I reckon 'cost' is something easy.

I'd guess it's the equivalent of "can", so:

Cost keck a bow aggen a woe an y'ed it till thee bost it?

Can (you) kick a ball against a wall and head it until you bust/destroy it?

I like "y'ed".

I will give you both that one! You got it right between you :-p. Nobody in Stoke really speaks like that except the older generation, I notice the accent changing gradually over the years. We also say "like" alot after every sentence like, its like totally pointless but we still do it like.

I again refer you to Rule #1 of the Internet: Pics or it didn't happen!

I demand visual proof that you figured it up before him! And don't give me the "you can't take pictures of thoughts" or anything similarly pathetic!

The proof is in the pudding. And by pudding I mean this post.

mooglesuccess.png

Ya should here the likes of us Irish speaking. We have some fucked up words that no-one would understand. Even folks 10 mins down the road! We also speak very fast. Very very fast.

Too right. Got a couple of Dublin lads on my new course and it's difficult to keep up when they're talking too each other. If it's hard for me it must be impossible for some of the other guys who aren't from Britain.

I've got a bit of a mess of an accent. Generally it sticks around the general Thames Valley area but bits and pieces creep in from Glasgow that I've picked up from my dad. This usually seems to get worse as I get drunk and the R's really start to roll. Doesn't go as far as as shouting "Aye 'moan den, square go" to anyone in the pub though.

Don't really have much of an accent in Flemish, though I probably do have a bit of the "singing tone" we're supposed to have around this area. Just not as bad as a lot of people.

In English, I think I have a mix of British English, American English and some Dutch. Don't know, ask Flinky. =P

I love your voice! :D

Lovely accent, which is a mixture of exactly what you said: British English, American English and Dutch. It all comes together quite nicely.

Now, how would you have described mine?!

Its definitely more Northern than it is Welsh. I do say a couple of words really "Welshy" like "by yeeeeer" instead of "by here." Also, funny enough, "darling" becomes "darlinK" haha. ;)

My ex-housemate used to take the piss out of my accent, especially when I said "hurt" or "person." She even used those words out of arguments we had and would take the piss out of them during the day when other people around. Hope the bitch gets genital warts or something. Not from me of course, I'm clean!

I love your voice! :D

Lovely accent, which is a mixture of exactly what you said: British English, American English and Dutch. It all comes together quite nicely.

Now, how would you have described mine?!

Its definitely more Northern than it is Welsh. I do say a couple of words really "Welshy" like "by yeeeeer" instead of "by here." Also, funny enough, "darling" becomes "darlinK" haha. ;)

My ex-housemate used to take the piss out of my accent, especially when I said "hurt" or "person." She even used those words out of arguments we had and would take the piss out of them during the day when other people around. Hope the bitch gets genital warts or something. Not from me of course, I'm clean!

If I had any clue about what all the different UK dialects sound like, I'd be able to tell you. But alas, I don't know, so I can't tell you. But I don't think I had too much trouble understanding you, so that's good. =D

Flinky: I love the newport accent. So very calming. Well, apart from the chavs, innit.

I wouldn't say I had a Newport accent at all, though...dude. We need to meet up, compare our voices, and geeta hiro eet up!

If I had any clue about what all the different UK dialects sound like, I'd be able to tell you. But alas, I don't know, so I can't tell you. But I don't think I had too much trouble understanding you, so that's good. =D

Haha, that's ok that you understood me. I was worried you'd think "urrr, wha, what's this foo' trying to say?!" Since quite a lot of people don't really know what I'm saying half the time, heh.

I think it's pretty easy in English for us to understand eachother. Take Italian however and you've got yourself in all around 800 dialects. It doesn't help an awful lot that people tend to use said dialects rather than standard Italian.

For example when I'm in Naples I get around as anyother neapolitan would. Put me in the middle of Venice and I might as well be a British tourist because I can not understand a single word they're saying. It's quite a big problem!