N-Europe

The University Thread 08/09

Charlie

Don't be, the guilt is bloody awful. I wanted to pay for university myself, you know grow up and all that stuffs? So I'm keeping my dad in an 5am til 7pm job, nice. :indeed:

But I'll have my maintence loan at 1.8k? I doubt it'll be enough to buy stupidly big luxuries and I'm more a fan of food than I am of buying an xbox360.

I don't need a new telly and if I want an xbox I'll get a job and buy one. I've also got a £500 overdraft unfortunetly I had to have one with this student account, which hopefully I won't ever need to go into. :blank:

Id rather be hungry than bored, although you probobly wouldnt think it by looking at me :p

You can live of stupidly low ammounts and money.

Cheap foods:

Rice (works out around 1.20/kilo)

Ravioli (around 30p/tin)

Beans (seen them as low as 9p)

Bread (30p from netto :p)

Sphagetti hoops (30p/tin)

A very cheap desert is ice cream =]

Id be able to live on a few pound per week. If you bought rice you could probobly get by on less, just eat it with ravioli or spaghetti hoops or something to add flavor.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks government for leading me down the academic route and getting me into shit loads of debt I can't possibly get out of. YAY!

Please if you are clever enough to go to uni then you are big enough to take responsability for your own actions.

Everyone knows that uni costs money.

You didnt just sudenly wake uo with a shed load of debt you got yourself in to it.

Now the reason a lot of people go to uni is that it will (or should) allow you to go further in life and earn more. Therefore you are just subsidising your own future.

If on the other hand you did a degree on the history of chewing gum then its your own fault and you deserve to be in all the debt :)

Please if you are clever enough to go to uni then you are big enough to take responsability for your own actions.

You don't have to be clever to go to university. Some universities especially have barebone requirements, and really more than anything uni feels more like a test of memory than intelligence. Just reproduce a load of stuff that you remembered in an exam.

Id rather be hungry than bored, although you probobly wouldnt think it by looking at me :p

Cheap foods:

Ravioli (around 30p/tin)

Id be able to live on a few pound per week. If you bought rice you could probobly get by on less, just eat it with ravioli or spaghetti hoops or something to add flavor.

I know, if I have to I'll live in netto. But I can eat up to five meals a day.

I.eat.alot :blank: Besides I've got a wii, an xbox, a telly, a laptop and desktop. Not to mention hundreds of books. What else am I going to need except alittle bit to go out with when I don't really drink alcohol?

edit: danny debts can be up to 30k...some people have to wait years to pay that kind of money off, lord knows I would. Besides shekiah is right, some of the results I needed for certain unis were pathetic, I could have got into some with next to nothing!

I know, if I have to I'll live in netto. But I can eat up to five meals a day.

I.eat.alot :blank: Besides I've got a wii, an xbox, a telly, a laptop and desktop. Not to mention hundreds of books. What else am I going to need except alittle bit to go out with when I don't really drink alcohol?

Probobly nothing lol. Netto is 100% ownage tho :D

edit: danny debts can be up to 30k...some people have to wait years to pay that kind of money off, lord knows I would. Besides shekiah is right, some of the results I needed for certain unis were pathetic, I could have got into some with next to nothing!

I know how big the debts are but Fex said that govenment had lead him. My point was that you all know you are going to get in to debt from going to uni.

Im not slaging off Uni or students but you can not blambe the govenment for getting you in to debt.

I know how big the debts are but Fex said that govenment had lead him. My point was that you all know you are going to get in to debt from going to uni.

Im not slaging off Uni or students but you can not blambe the govenment for getting you in to debt.

I suppose, but even when the government does help out, well my ex had help from the government infact they ''paid'' for him to go and I can bet you any money I come out with less debt than him..:blank: seems abit odd.

You sound like someone who didn't go to uni and has a bit of a grudge against people who did.

Student loans are the easiest loans to pay back that you can possibly get. No interest, and you're only required to pay it back when you're income is sufficient to make it painless. I'm not sure how that's a problem for anyone.

Plus if you get a student account with overdraft you can make it interest free etc.

You sound like someone who didn't go to uni and has a bit of a grudge against people who did.

No not at all. Far from it. Just how can someone say its the govenments fault that they are in debt?

I didnt go to uni. I chose not to. Wasnt the cost just wasnt what i wanted to do. I have no problem with people wanting to better themselves.

All im sayig is gordon brown didnt just jump out of a bush and throw this debt at you and catch you by suprise.

Im working towards a degree. Its just probably going to take me 10 years to get it. But its free and i get paid to do it.

Indeed, mines only £500, it won't be used, but it's there just incase. They are very easy to obtain and can make sure you can breathe if you happen to run out of money and need £10 for food as long as it's topped back up.

yeah good plan. I used mine up, thinking a few hundred quid in work would be easy enough to get in a few weeks.

wrrooooooooooong!

Cheap foods:

Ravioli (around 30p/tin)

Except im far too pretencious to shop at Netto :p

Still. I managed to do a weekly shop for around £15 last year. Benefits of being a vegetarian. Meat is rediculously expensive.

My loan will probably go into my savings. Seeing as I'm working now and will continue to so through the year.

I really didn't spend any last year, but I took one out just in case I lost my job and needed some cash for obvious reasons like bus to uni and food.

Who goes to uni and can survive without a loan? Night shift?

People who are supported by their parents....thats me :heh: :heh: :smile: :smile:

They'll be paying tuition fee and rent. I'll have to pay for everything else i.e laptop, food, going out etc. Gonna find a part time job to support myself as well....got a good CV so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem. If not, I have my job at Chelsea to fall back on (which is only when there is a home game)...but thats in London, and I'm going to Uni in Birmingham. :heh:

.....although I do have a student account with £3000 overdraft....but I'll save that for emergencies only.

People who are supported by their parents....thats me :heh: :heh: :smile: :smile:

They'll be paying tuition fee and rent. I'll have to pay for everything else i.e laptop, food, going out etc. Gonna find a part time job to support myself as well....got a good CV so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem. If not, I have my job at Chelsea to fall back on (which is only when there is a home game)...but thats in London, and I'm going to Uni in Birmingham. :heh:

.....although I do have a student account with £3000 overdraft....but I'll save that for emergencies only.

So I'm going to sound like a snotty cow...but you like rubbing people's noses in it don't you? :indeed:

Whats the average course price per year?

Free for all Scottish students. :)

I'm so glad we've got that up here, tuition fees are ridiculously expensive. I'd be outraged if I had to pay £1500 or whatever the going rate is for my course which I'm barely in uni more than 10 hours a week.

Free for all Scottish students. :)

I'm so glad we've got that up here, tuition fees are ridiculously expensive. I'd be outraged if I had to pay £1500 or whatever the going rate is for my course which I'm barely in uni more than 10 hours a week.

A Uni course here is double that :heh: for one year..