NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
navarre

I'm 10% Dutch, 14% Welsh and 0.5% Iranian...

Well just as canada/mexico/brazil et al are part of The Americas, it's just as apt to call anyone from the continent "american". Did you know that there are many (not going to generalise) people who hate being called British, and much rather would be called irish, scottish, welsh or english.

They may as well just call everyone Terran or Gaian (Earthian sounds crap). But that won't help anything.

Around 1 million white Portuguese came back from the colonies after their independence, their called retornados. The relation between white and black Portuguese was/is pretty good, the colonies we're treated like part of the country instead of subordinates.

Very cool. (and the fact you call them Black portuguese). I have a lot of respect for Portugal, will be going to the Algarve soon. ^^

And dunno why King V but I thought you were Jamaican.

LOL, why? Worryingly, quite a few people have said that. :/

Gaian

That would be interesting. What would the citizens of Vila Nova de Gaia call themselves? Neo-Gaians? :heh:

Very cool. (and the fact you call them Black portuguese). I have a lot of respect for Portugal, will be going to the Algarve soon. ^^

We thank you for such kind words. :wink:

And the Black portuguese...why shouldn't we? They're black and they're portuguese. What else should we call them? :heh:

And the Black portuguese...why shouldn't we? They're black and they're portuguese. What else should we call them? :heh:

Its just that over here, things seem a lot more xenophobic, it seems a lot of White brits don't use the term 'Black british' too often, they seem happy to just use 'Black people' as if to say 'you're not British, mate...You're different...You're Black'...ignorant mother fuckers

I apologise. I wasn't aware.

;)

We thank you for such kind words. :wink:

Oh yeah that's fine. Just make sure you call the ginger portuguese by their full 'title'. Don't forget the jewish, the female, the sick and the elderly!

Its just that over here, things seem a lot more xenophobic, it seems a lot of White brits don't use the term 'Black british' too often, they seem happy to just use 'Black people' as if to say 'you're not British, mate...You're different...You're Black'...ignorant mother fuckers

I never use the term black British, or white British, for that matter. I only ever refer to someone as black or white when describing their appearance.

Anyone who has a UK passport, or is born and brought up in Blighty is British in my book. Actually, I hate being called British (especially by Yanks) - they call Scots Scots and the Irish Irish, so call the English English!

My mother was born in the same hospital I was born in if that makes me somehow super English

Oh yeah that's fine. Just make sure you call the ginger portuguese by their full 'title'. Don't forget the jewish, the female, the sick and the elderly!

Gingers? Jews? Here?

I just used black Portuguese because back then, being Angolan or Mozambican etc, didn't directly translate to being black or white, but they surely were Portuguese (and still are, any person from former colonies born before the independence can still claim Portuguese nationality). Besides, it makes much more sense then terms such as "African-American".

I can't help but feel you're reading too much into things. Hell, I don't think I've ever heard the phrase 'white British' used outside governmental forms and BNP rants.

Well, we used "Black portuguese" because we were talking in an international perspective. Within our country, we still use the terms "blacks" and "whites" often.

But I don't think it's such a big deal.

I never use the term black British, or white British, for that matter. I only ever refer to someone as black or white when describing their appearance.

Anyone who has a UK passport, or is born and brought up in Blighty is British in my book. Actually, I hate being called British (especially by Yanks) - they call Scots Scots and the Irish Irish, so call the English English!

Yank guy on XBL asked me where I was from, to which I replied "Britain"

He then asked "Britain? Thats near the UK right?"

:bowdown:

Yank guy on XBL asked me where I was from, to which I replied "Britain"

He then asked "Britain? Thats near the UK right?"

:bowdown:

An american once asked me if the united kingdom was in britain. And people say sterotypes aren't true.

LOL, why? Worryingly, quite a few people have said that. :/

You know, thinking back on it, I really don't know why. Unless I saw your face and heard your accent, (I dunno, you can just tell sometimes where other black people are from based on those factors, even if they dont have an accent that leads to a certain country) I think I just assume all black british people are jamaican until I have heard something to the contrary.

And I know exactly what you mean about the 'black people' thing you are on about. Wish I could get over it but i can't

Well Ireland isn't in Britain or the UK so I would hope noone would refer to us as British...

My sister actually done our family tree on my mums side and got back as far at 1820 something.... (yeah not that far back)

But anyway all my mums side have lived in South London as far back as the 1800's.

My dad was born and bred in Manchester and as far as we know his links are up there.

So I guess for a few generations my family have been 100% English. But beyond what we know, who knows? could be Viking or something!?

Well Ireland isn't in Britain or the UK so I would hope noone would refer to us as British...

When I say British, I mean "from the British Isles". If I mean somewhere more specifically, I'll use Ireland/England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Well, we used "Black portuguese" because we were talking in an international perspective. Within our country, we still use the terms "blacks" and "whites" often.

But I don't think it's such a big deal.

I meant that as a native Portuguese, you and Shino can still accept non-native Portuguese as Portuguese. You look to the ties that make the two groups (black and white) common rather than to dismiss a persons claim on nationality solely based on their appearance. Thats honourable.

And I know exactly what you mean about the 'black people' thing you are on about. Wish I could get over it but i can't

I think you are looking into it too much. If I say somebody is black then I mean they are black. I'm not going to say they are British because i'm British so it's sort of a default thing. If they weren't British but they were black then I would say they were e.g. Jamaican or whatever. If I say somebody is black then it is usually to decribe them. But what's the point in saying they are British? We are in Britain so unless I state otherwise then they are most likely to be British.

When I say British, I mean "from the British Isles". If I mean somewhere more specifically, I'll use Ireland/England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Dont want to start an argument over semantics but referring to Ireland as being part of the British Isles and thus British is completley and totally erroneous and very much discouraged by both island's governments. Ireland is in no-way British whatsoever.

:)

Dont want to start an argument over semantics but referring to Ireland as being part of the British Isles and thus British is completley and totally erroneous and very much discouraged by both island's governments. Ireland is in no-way British whatsoever.

:)

Northern Ireland isn't even British.

Sign in to follow this