N-Europe

Sonic and the Black Knight

Maverick

Guest Captain Falcon
The game uses Renderware, from the bat, it's the engine it's running on. I don't know/remember if it uses CRIWARE in any sort of way but mind you CRIWARE is not a engine, it's a set of tools, namely to acelerate streaming, decompression and stuff.

It's a middleware alright, but not an engine.

Whilst I suspect your right (it would explain why Shadow only used it for movie encoding) how come the game makes no mention to the use of another companies property in terms of the copyright? I thought that would have a legal requirement.

Though I was convinced that titles from Shadow onwards were based off of Sega's own proprietary software. I'd always thought that Renderware was brought in simply to help Sonic Team USA's first multi-platform title before they got round to making their own.

I only thought SatSR was different because I recall seeing the CRIWARE logo on the box and there's nothing on Shadow or Sonic '06.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I suspect your right (it would explain why Shadow only used it for movie encoding) how come the game makes no mention to the use of another companies property in terms of the copyright? I thought that would have a legal requirement.
I have no idea, must come from the agreement between the two companies I guess.

Renderware is no longer able to be licenced though, hence needs no publicity, EA bought criterion and since then only supports developers who had a licence for it already (well and criterion still uses it), but it is not available to outside costumers (hence why suda's 51 grasshopper had to write an engine for NMH, instead of using the Killer 7 one, it was renderware and the licence was from capcom, hence, they didn't had the licence to use it)

I guess doing publicity to renderware would be like Sega putting EA on their game in a way? (EA tech at least) and since it's not licenciable anymore, what's the point?

Though I was convinced that titles from Shadow onwards were based off of Sega's own proprietary software. I'd always thought that Renderware was brought in simply to help Sonic Team USA's first multi-platform title before they got round to making their own.
I don't know about that, but I believe shadow the hedgehog used renderware as well. (not sure though)

I only thought SatSR was different because I recall seeing the CRIWARE logo on the box and there's nothing on Shadow or Sonic '06.
CRIWARE can be applied at random, really, it's a bunch of tools... for instance GC's ToS doesn't use CRIWARE, but the PS2 port of ToS does, for compression, encription and stuff.

Soundtrack composed by Richard Jaques & Tommy Tallarico

Whilst the TSS crew were at Video Games Live last night watching things rock out, we were surprised that the set contained no Sonic the Hedgehog medley this year. We didn’t mind though, as someone on stage let slip that co-creator and presenter, Tommy Tallarico, is to be working on the music to Sonic and the Black Knight.

The reveal came during the evening show when the editor for the Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition, Keith Pullin, took the stage to award Tommy with for his contribution to video game music (some 200-odd games he’s composed for, from Earthworm Jim to Disney’s Alladin to Metroid Prime). Pullin stated that Tallarico is working on a Sonic the Hedgehog game, whilst the presenter turned to the audience and shhh’d everyone down. Even ArchAngelUK, Sega Europe’s community manager, was surprised of the detail.

During the meet and greet later on, we spoke to Tommy and he told us that he was working with Richard Jacques on the same title. He did not commit to say which Sonic game he is working on, but given Unleashed is a month or so away, the only likely contender is Black Knight.

It will be Tommy Tallarico’s first Sonic game, and being a massive fan of the guy myself I can’t wait to hear what he’s got going for the slash and dash ‘em-up. We’ll keep you posted on any further developments.

For those not familiar with their work:

Richard J:

Green Grove Zone Act 2

Battle at Eden Prime

Tommy T:

Earthworm Jim - Sega CD ver.

www.sonicstadium.org

• 5 weeks later...

gamesradars preview

Sonic and the Black Knight is the second game in the series, plucking its themes from an equally rich and well loved story by plonking our hero into the court of King Arthur. Yep, Sonic’s been summoned to a reimagined Camelot to do battle with the evil Black Knight. To do so he’ll be using his trademark speed, but the only way to really defeat a medieval ne’er-do-well is with a hefty blade. Thus for the first time in his 17-year-history Sonic will wield a weapon.

Unlike in The Secret Rings, Sonic’s movement is now controlled with the Nunchuk, leaving the remote free for sword-swinging duties. The game plays an awful lot like Sonic Unleashed with a focus on speedily traversing pretty landscapes with a mix of 3D and 2D platforming. The difference is, of course, the sword. Frequently Sonic has to slow down and slash his way through errant knights and obstacles. Better yet the blade can also be used to scale and descend sheer walls with style. There’s also an emphasis on collecting items and impressing townsfolk. Doing this will unlock hidden content and gain Sir Sonic followers. The more followers he gains the more effective a knight he’ll become, which in turn allows him to level up and access new abilities – much as he did in The Secret Rings.

There are issues we’d like to see addressed, mind. For instance, constantly curbing your speed to hack through enemies could make the pace feel a bit stuttery. Why not give Sonic a running attack to keep things moving? Also the old criticism of it being too on-rails applies – though this has been admirably sidestepped in Sonic Unleashed.

Still in its early stages, Sonic and the Black Knight is shaping up to be a thrilling tale of swashbuckling adventure powered by a jet engine. It’s another clever sidestepping of the traditional formula that adds something refreshingly different. Aside from the gorgeous Zelda-like visuals it looks to be fast, varied and, with emphasis on simple mission-based play, rewarding and fun. Following The Secret Rings was always going to be tough, but it looks like Sega might pull it off. With the Arabian Nights and Camelot taken care of, we’re already starting to wonder where the Story Book series will take Sonic next. Sonic in Wonderland, perhaps. Or Sonic and the Beanstalk even. How about Sonic in space? Now there’s a thought…

Oh.... Knuckles in this one then? Interesting. Thought that Sonic and Knuckles were friends by now in the 3d sonics. Does look like there may be some hubworld-esque stuff in here with the townsfolk. Hopefully, it'll be kept to a minimum. Could be wrong though as they could just be townsfolk that Sonic races passed during the levels.

Oh.... Knuckles in this one then? Interesting. Thought that Sonic and Knuckles were friends by now in the 3d sonics. Does look like there may be some hubworld-esque stuff in here with the townsfolk. Hopefully, it'll be kept to a minimum. Could be wrong though as they could just be townsfolk that Sonic races passed during the levels.

If it's like Secret Rings Knuckles, Tails etc. will appear as characters from the story book. But yay! Knuckles!

Guest Captain Falcon

I'm so looking forward to this and every new shot makes me want it more and more - those pictures of him in the field are just Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

New info:

- Shadow, Knuckles and Blaze are bosses and become playable after you defeat them.

- Each world has 9 missions.

- Similar skill system to Secret rings.

- Multiplayer modes (don't know what).

- Some form of online ranking.

- Controls: Analog stick to move, A to jump, Z to lock on, shake the wiimote to attack.

http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article215597.html

(He didn't state a source but this guy is reliable)

I'm being more and more interested by this game. I have a feeling it will be better than Unleashed.

@ Deathborn - The guy is correct with that info, at least with the controls anyway as thats what I'm being told. Shame, as I did sort of like the Secret Rings style of control. Gonna be a little like Unleashed's 3d parts which weren't great to control, worse than the Dreamcast 3d stuff anyway.