NEurope
Maverick

Sonic and the Black Knight

From what I see on that scan, the graphics appear to be pushing the Wii's limit a bit more than Secret rings.

Wii's limit? You're kidding, right?

Wii's limit? You're kidding, right?

I think the point being made is that despite it's very short development cycle, Secret Rings was one of the, if not thee, best looking title available on the system at it's point of release - both in terms of the technical ability and artistic prowess. It still looks better than a lot of games now (especially third party) and the only fault I would throw at it was the fact it wasn't 60fps.

Sonic Team did as much as they could in the time allowed to make a great looking game and whilst it may not have even come close to reaching the ultimate graphical limits of the Wii, at the time it was a damn sight closer than anything else out there.

I think the point being made is that despite it's very short development cycle, Secret Rings was one of the, if not thee, best looking title available on the system at it's point of release - both in terms of the technical ability and artistic prowess. It still looks better than a lot of games now (especially third party) and the only fault I would throw at it was the fact it wasn't 60fps.

Sonic Team did as much as they could in the time allowed to make a great looking game and whilst it may not have even come close to reaching the ultimate graphical limits of the Wii, at the time it was a damn sight closer than anything else out there.

So maybe replace Wii's limit for Wii's standards wouldn't be a bad idea... ;)

BTW... yeah... Secret Rings is awesome in every aspect... but... I would never highlight its technical detail as top of the tops, although when when comparing with Sonic Unleash it looks like one generation ahead.

So maybe replace Wii's limit for Wii's standards wouldn't be a bad idea... ;)

BTW... yeah... Secret Rings is awesome in every aspect... but... I would never highlight its technical detail as top of the tops, although when when comparing with Sonic Unleash it looks like one generation ahead.

Well Secret Rings had it's own problems that kept it short of awesome in my book - it's just that the graphics weren't one of them.

And your right, it does seem to be much better looking than what we've seen of Unleashed so far (though I'll reserve full judgment until I get a copy in my hands).

Given the few screens we seen so far (and the brief video clip), it appears this is using the same engine as Secret Rings which makes me wonder why they even bothered trying to tailor the "Hedgehog Engine" to work with the Wii in the first place.

They couldn't have had that much confidence in it. I can only guess that this game was started around about the same time as unleashed and they weren't sure how it was going to turn out so they just let both projects run simultaneously.

It'll be interesting to see what the Sonic game after this will be based on (we all know there will be one...)

That looks great - I'm sold.

And it's good to see, or rather hear, that Crush 40 have been reinstated to do the main song. Whilst I do love His World (all versions), Seven Rings in Hand quickly became annoying - it didn't help that the game continually repeated the same 30 second loop all the time.

But that song rocks - I can't wait to hear the full version!

Is it wrong that out of all the upcoming Wii games, this is the one I'm most interested in (not including the Metroid Prime re-release)?

Is it wrong that out of all the upcoming Wii games, this is the one I'm most interested in (not including the Metroid Prime re-release)?

Short answer - No.

Long answer - Hell No!

I just hope that the castle levels are one of two and it has a lot of different environments (like Secret Rings) like that grass field (which looked amazing in the few seconds we saw) so that most of the game is colourful.

Also, I love the music. Hopefully Crush 40 do most of the music in this game. They should have done Secret Rings (their version of Seven Rings in hand is pretty awesome).

I just hope that the castle levels are one of two and it has a lot of different environments (like Secret Rings) like that grass field (which looked amazing in the few seconds we saw) so that most of the game is colourful.

Also, I love the music. Hopefully Crush 40 do most of the music in this game. They should have done Secret Rings (their version of Seven Rings in hand is pretty awesome).

Crush 40 did a version of Seven Rings?

Yeah it was in one of the vocal albums of Sonic music that come out every so often. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

I hope that the game isn't entirely inside castles... it would be boring.

Other than that... well, loved it :) Loved the grass scene (hope it's in game), short, but at least we get some fresh air from all the grey.

Not like Secret Rings I hope.

Then I think you'll be out of luck.

Even at it's short length, you can see Sonic doing the same slides and jump charging. Every time he stopped sliding or he jumped the sword was swung so it must be just mapped to the 2 button or rather the release of the 2 button.

And I can't imagine they would add nunchuk support to allow for analogue control as it would probably make the game seem more complicated to Nintendo's new found demographic that SatSR was trying to appeal to.

Plus, there is Unleashed to fill that particular void.

I hope it controls like SoTR, just scrap walking backwards and fix it a bit and presto. Not only were the controls fun, it's the only game that managed to really get what Sonic is about: acceleration and timing. Not that I dislike Rush's going at the speed of light all the time, I love it.

mmh im kinda interested in this game and thats really funny because i never really liked the new sonic games this one looks even better than sonic unleashed

I wonder what kinda time frame this is gonna come out in. I suppose it must be a while off since Unleash is just around the corner.

Sonic Team did as much as they could in the time allowed to make a great looking game.
They called it Sonic Team, but they really aren't. They are Ex-UGA staff, who merged with Sonic Team for fiscal reasons, but remained a separate team/work group.

Hell, look at NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, using a custom engine, and Sonic Unleashed, whoose HD versions use the Hedgehog engine. This one? Renderware (burnout engine) and clearly a different team, considering they started development on this one right after Secret Rings, it's coming along almost at the same time as Unleashed is and are using different tech too.

if it controls anything like secret rings i wont be able to play ,:confused: I just couldnt do it i found it so boring :shakehead

They called it Sonic Team, but they really aren't. They are Ex-UGA staff, who merged with Sonic Team for fiscal reasons, but remained a separate team/work group.

Hell, look at NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, using a custom engine, and Sonic Unleashed, whoose HD versions use the Hedgehog engine. This one? Renderware (burnout engine) and clearly a different team, considering they started development on this one right after Secret Rings, it's coming along almost at the same time as Unleashed is and are using different tech too.

OK then, Sega's Global Entertainment R&D Dept 1 made a great looking game in the time allowed. Is that better:heh:

I kinda missed the second point you were trying to make though. SatSR, and I presume this are using the CRIWARE middleware - as was used for parts of Shadow. Sonic Heroes on the other hand used Renderware but that was a while ago.

Or at least that was my understanding.

I kinda missed the second point you were trying to make though. SatSR, and I presume this are using the CRIWARE middleware - as was used for parts of Shadow. Sonic Heroes on the other hand used Renderware but that was a while ago.

Or at least that was my understanding.

The game uses Renderware, from the bat, it's the engine it's running on. I don't know/remember if it uses CRIWARE in any sort of way but mind you CRIWARE is not a engine, it's a set of tools, namely to acelerate streaming, decompression and stuff.

It's a middleware alright, but not an engine.