NEurope
ssj

Banjo Kazooie (XBLA)

They keep the rights to the franchise, yes. They developed the characters, the enviroment... But it doesn't apply to older games, it only counts for new ones, like nuts 'n bolts. They can use Banjo-Kazooie there, but they can't release an old game, funded by an old partner, without the partners agreement. A new game, yes, and old game, no.

Again, Nintendo probably got something really good in return.

Yes, but what i was saying is that i'm pretty sure Rare kept the rights to their games after the split. That was what Rare got out of the deal, they signed over their claim to any games containing Nintendo IPs and gained the rights to all games not containing Nintendo IPs. That also fits with the Goldeneye story, IIRC it's release was stopped by Activision rather than Nintendo?

On thursday its actualy banjos 10th uk anniversary.

so expect some banjo live:stop n swop footage

Yes, but what i was saying is that i'm pretty sure Rare kept the rights to their games after the split. That was what Rare got out of the deal, they signed over their claim to any games containing Nintendo IPs and gained the rights to all games not containing Nintendo IPs. That also fits with the Goldeneye story, IIRC it's release was stopped by Activision rather than Nintendo?

I don't know if that was part of the deal, but thinking of it: nobody was ever hearing about Nintendo or TH complaining when Conker's Bad Fur Day was remade... You could be right on this one, but Nintendo made a sad mistake there... They are Nintendo's history up untill GameCube!

I believe the engine behind Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie is actually a modified Mario one...thats how Nintendo have part of the rights to it

May be wrong on that tho

news from http://www.rare.co.uk

''Quick info dump: it's being handled by 4J Studios up in Dundee, and will be brought to you in 1080p hi-def glory with all the expected XBLA''

Sounds like it may be more of a remake than a port then...thats going to be a bit iffy :p

But it would make sense for them to do it as it would get away from the Mario 64 Engine issues...but a bit disappointing as it'll mean its not o nthe VC. I'll get it on Live anyway but I know some without a 360

Full quote:

One other item that possibly caught your attention is the announcement of the original Banjo-Kazooie coming to Xbox Live Arcade, something that you sassy punters have been demanding on a regular basis for some time now. Quick info dump: it's being handled by 4J Studios up in Dundee, and will be brought to you in 1080p hi-def glory with all the expected XBLA accoutrements such as built-in Achievements and Leaderboards. It'll even include yet another iteration (hopefully a successful one this time) of the fabled Stop 'n' Swap system, now intended to unlock stuff in Nuts & Bolts.

What is Stop 'n' Swap?

Basically, items you collected in BK would have allowed you to unlock stuff in BT, but the feature was removed at last minute (swapping cartridges while playing could damage the system.games). With the use of codes, the items and secret locations for the items in BK are discoverable.

According to CVG, the XBLA version keeps all Nintendo references...but is graphically touched up a tad

I'm expecting a release of this around the same time as Nuts and Bolts

I'm expecting a release of this around the same time as Nuts and Bolts

I'm thinking beforehand in an attempt to introduce the franchise to the newer gamers

Im looking forward to this more than nuts and bolts now. At least we know this wont fail, providing everything has been kept from the n64 version

Ah... how funny should it be that I completed this 100% on one playthrough a few weeks back...if only I had waited. It would feel too soon to play this again now. :p

Damn, this is awesome. The only thing stopping me from replaying BK and BT is the damn N64 controller which is simply rubbish by todays standards. That and the promise of Stop'n'Swop, I can't wait for this.

What are the chances of Tooie on XBLA too?

What are the chances of Tooie on XBLA too?

Probably a definite, they might want to stagger the releases though considering they have this and Nuts and Bolts coming out at (presumably) the same time.

Rare have complete ownership over the BK series. Nintendo don't come into the deal at all.

Anyway, if it's finally going to use Stop n Swop then I'll buy.

I think I remember reading that Tooie is also coming to XBLM.

Rare have complete ownership over the BK series. Nintendo don't come into the deal at all.

Anyway, if it's finally going to use Stop n Swop then I'll buy.

They have ownership of the engine it runs on

Engines are licensed though, so that isn't a problem. It has nothing to do with ownership. That's like if every game using the Unreal engine then Epic Games would own part of the rights.

Awesome. It's only Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps that need confirming, then.

And GoldenEye to be pushed through! Common MS, just throw you're money about!