N-Europe

I'm lost! Help!

Wesley

Ever been lost?

I started reading, and will of finished by tonight I'd think, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and it got me thinking about being lost.

When I was younger I got lost around an amusement park. All I remember is trying to climb on a fun fair ride that wasn't on, and some guy picked me up; didn't say a thing, just grabbed me. Next thing I can remember is being in an office telling some guy my parents' names.

Also, Alton Towers. Around 3 years ago, a friend and I decided to take a short-cut based on the map they give you. About half an hour later we came to some random place, where there were some old ride carriages kept. Looked rusty and crap. We went back and ended up somewhere totally off-course.

It never occured to us that the map wasn't accurate and to scale.. seeing as it was only a theme park map.

10 years ago, my at the time baby sister suddenly got seperated from us in a portugese shopping mall. It was actually terifying. However, it was 2 minutes later when we saw a policeman lead her back inside by the hand, and we ran over to her.

I'm to paranoid to get lost.

I got lost for about a minute in a museum. I think I was the only one who thought I was lost though. I sort of got lost in a box store once. I knew where I was, I just couldn't find where my parents were for some reason. I always hated having to wear those sticker things in amusement parks when I was a kid.

10 years ago, my at the time baby sister suddenly got seperated from us in a portugese shopping mall. It was actually terifying. However, it was 2 minutes later when we saw a policeman lead her back inside by the hand, and we ran over to her.

I'm to paranoid to get lost.

Even I get lost in a shopping mall here in Lisbon. Well not lost lost, but you get it :P

I don't remember being really lost actually

I once got lost in our own city when I was a little kid. Scared the shit out of me! Mom and my sister were just gone all of a sudden, and there were lots of people so I had no clue where to go. Some woman told me to just stay where I was, and a couple of minutes later mom found me again.

We also lost our sister at a fair once, which was really scary as it was dark and there were hundreds of people (she was a tiny girl). I was so happy when we found her again. =O

I can't think of specific occasions where I was lost, but when I was younger I used to get left behind a lot. Not in the abandonment sense — well, I don't think so — but if there was ever a reason I couldn't wear my glasses, a trip to a French water park being an example, my family often seemed to forget that, you know, I couldn't see.

What's worse than scouring a crowd for a familiar face when you're two foot tall? Attempting to do so with a layer of Vaseline over your eyes.

As for nowadays, I actually have rather good mental mapping — and contacts, another plus. On the other hand I have a terrible memory for names of places, so whilst I have good imagery in my head I'm pretty much hopeless if people refer to street names and such.

I feel asleep at the reading music festival one day for about 15minutes in the field, I woke up and my friends had moved about 10 metres away from me, I had no idea and started to worry seeing as there were so many people and I had no idea what to do. Was quite scary and they just laughed :)

Got lost on the way to Center Parcs. I'd written out instructions based on online maps but "straight ahead" at a roundabout can seem much more confusing when you're there in all three dimensions.

Ended up pulling up in a residential area, finding a street name from a corner sign, putting it in Google Maps on my phone and escaping with that.

I've managed to get lost and scare the shit outta my parents the one time.

Basically, we all went to Saudi Arabia as part of a pilgrimmage. This was a good 10 years ago, now. Now, you've got the giant Mosque in Mecca, which is absolutely huuuuge. To put it into perspective how big it is, the first night we were there, it took us hours to walk around the outside, and we counted all the doors that led into the mosque. There were something like 147.

This is quite important to the story.

So, on the last day we spent there, we were going to pray Namaz, and I needed to pop to the loo. Outside the mosque, they have stairs which lead underground where you can get washed and go to the toilet. There's loads of them, because there are so many people who will be washing and praying at the mosque, so they need to supply to fit the demand.

Also, underground, because there are many entrances, there are also many exits. My parents saw me go downstairs, and I tried very hard to remember which exit they were at when I was going back upstairs.

I must have missed it. I got outside, looked around, and I couldn't see them. The place is huge, and you could easily come out of the wrong door, so I was like....AHHHHHHHH!

So, what did I do? I went inside and prayed, because thats what I should be doing. I actually finished my namaz and then went outside and waited. I stood in the exact same spot outside and didn't move incase I missed them. I was panicking because they had no way of getting to me, and the place was huge, you could easily lose somebody.

About 2 hours later, they found me. They had realised I must had come out of the wrong exit and went around the whole outside of the mosque looking for me. My Mum even thought that somebody might have taken me...who would have me?!

So yeah, I managed to get lost in Saudi Arabia. I haven't topped that one yet.

When I was about five or so I got lost in a deep forest, and then a massive thunderstorm suddenly blew up. I was there for hours before it finally blew over and I found my way onto the road and found my family again. Luckily I had somehow gotten lost with all four of the family dogs, so at least I had some defence against any Scottish timber wolves that might have been marauding nearby, or worse, the viscous bucktoothed haggis, which are famed defenders of their hunting territories.