NEurope

I add olive oil to boiling pasta because it helps stop the water frothing and boiling over the top. I don't think it does it anything for taste. Also helps it stick less to sides and each other. I also add salt to change the boiling point.

Olive oil goes well with EVERYTHING! Its not pasta if it doesn't have olive oil.

Yeah, I always add olive oil and salt when cooking pasta. Helps make it not stick to each other and stuff.

And I also used to use olive oil to bake stuff, like my veggie burgers and eggs. Worked quite well and felt a lot less greasy than normal butter. =)

Adding oil to stop things sticking is alright [although I think it's normal cooking/sunflower oil as opposed to olive oil] but when you see chefs etc just put their finger over most of the spout and wiggle it about so a paltry amount drizzles on the food. It instills anger.

I think the rest of the world's extremely right when it insultes british cuisine. All I have to do is listen to you talk. :heh:

Kinda off-topic, but my doctor told me to put Olive Oil in my ear today.

Apparently it softens the wax. (Had an ear infection thing that made my left ear full of wax, it's all muffled and horrible)

I hate how it turns my pasta into slimy bullshit. Sort this out please.

Kinda off-topic, but my doctor told me to put Olive Oil in my ear today.

Apparently it softens the wax. (Had an ear infection thing that made my left ear full of wax, it's all muffled and horrible)

Then if it doesn't work your headed for ear syringing young sir :heh:

I'm with letty, adding oil when there's no need is pointless. Oil on salad, gtfo. I eat salad because its healthy. Not for enjoyment :shakehead

The view that all fat is inherently a bad thing is essentially flawed - fats are simply another food group, and though eating large quantities of them (especially saturates) can have bad consequences, you do actually need some for a balanced diet. And some fats can have all sorts of good effects, like the monounsaturates that are present in olive oil, omega-3 (they've done this one to death in adverts, but it's another monounsaturate), and polyunsaturates, including those that are conjugated.

Onbe of the oldest people in the world attributed it to rubbing olive oil all over their body everyday since they were like 20. They also had the equivalent of a cup of day in their food.

This thread has made me angry for some reason. I hate needless addition of fat to food.

If you read any health food book it'll tell you you're SUPPOSED to eat it regularly because it has 'good fats' and all that shit, and nutrients that you need.

I used to drizzle it on my vegetables for that reason, but i had to stop because it's vile.

gah gah GAH

OMG thank God this is not a Greek forum:p you would be already dead.

Here in Greece we consume 1L of oil every week lol. It's a MUST for EVERY Greek kitchen. But hey, no suprise u dont like it. Its not good like the Greek one and u dont know how to use it XD

peace :p

Olive oil is only good for greasy food imo. The only thing I would put on salad is french sauce thingimijig. Anyway.

Pointless cooking really.

I always add oil and salt to water before i added pasta into it. Stops em for sticking together i hear.

But you all ignored the "needless" part of her sentence.

What about it? It IS needED cos your body needs the fats.

What about it? It IS needED cos your body needs the fats.

I think she meant when it is needlessly added. Not that it is needless in your diet. There's plenty of natural sources for oil in a varied diet, not just throwing it on food for the sake of it.

Olive oil is boss. Fats are good for you.. what do you think your neurons are made from?

Olive oil has the good fatty acids that people need, plus is quite tasty too!

OMG thank God this is not a Greek forum:p you would be already dead.

Here in Greece we consume 1L of oil every week lol. It's a MUST for EVERY Greek kitchen. But hey, no suprise u dont like it. Its not good like the Greek one and u dont know how to use it XD

peace :p

We consume about that in my house too, mainly because my dad lived in Italy for a year. If you buy the right stuff here, it's good enough, but still not quite as good as what they serve in restaurants in Sicily for bread-dipping. :heh:

This thread has reminded me that I really, really want to go to Greece...

I think she meant when it is needlessly added. Not that it is needless in your diet. There's plenty of natural sources for oil in a varied diet, not just throwing it on food for the sake of it.

In what way is that needlessly added? By your reasoning anything added to food is needlessly done so, including but not limited to adding cheese to bread.

And yeah, this thread makes me hungry.

So; it's good for you, it adds flavour and it adds moisture, yet it's needless?

Hmm :wtf:

How about trying some recepies with and without oil, then see the difference. You'll realise pretty quickly why Olive Oil is used so much (it's one of the tastiest and health oils around)