NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

I love how Dazzy never posts anything in this thread while Tottenham are having an awful start and as soon as they have a couple of good results suddenly it's about 10 posts a day.

:p

To be fair i did post BEFORE the revival :) I rarely post on any board other than the Wii one. I just ventured and now I'm hooked :)

I still can't believe it! I watched MotD last night, and Liverpool were genuinely all over Spurs. We were vulnerable last season due to not being able to kill teams off, and thats exactly what happened yesterday. Spurs were there for the taking, but we just couldn't get a second goal. Must bounce back against Atleti in mid week and then get a win in the next league match!

Anyone see the candidates for goal of the month on MotD? There are quite a few great ones this month. Bentley's against the Gunners will likely be the one they choose.

Bentley's goal was rather hit and hope though (but a nice goal). I think they'll choose Lampard's or Geovanni's.

^ You could say that about Beckham's goal in 1996, or Stiliyan Petrov's against Derby last season.

You could say that they all were "hit and hope", even though that's what they all were. Maybe even ones like Geovanni's against Arsenal and Spurs, or even Sidwell's last week. Maybe they just thought "I could have a shot here." and they went for it, and succeeded.

But still, when it goes in, people can't help but gasp in awe that it actually went in.

Whoa...kudos to you, Dazzy. I couldn't see how Spurs could get much against Liverpool, so well done for beating them. :)

As a Man United fan, I'm happy with today's results. We're 5 points behind Liverpool and Chelsea, and one ahead of Arsenal, with a game in hand over all three. If we can win the next game, then that is only 2 points off the pace. It is doable, too.

Exactly good times. The game in hand is against Fulham at home too so we should get the 3 points. We're starting to play a lot better but damn Hull almost had us on the comeback, gotta hand it to them. Could have done with it staying 4-1 for goal difference as liverpool and chelsea have a far better one than us at the moment.

And

God damn spurs, What is it about 'Arry? Great result. That's exactly what they need, last minute winners, bit of luck.

Wow...even Bolton won! Pretty exciting few days in the EPL for sure.

A week to forget for S'land like! Not too fussed that we took a tonking off Chelski though. Any other team and I'd have been gutted (like Everton last year!)

I guess small steps do make a long journey. We're still going in the right direction though -- even if those bitter mags up the road seem to revel in our dramas when they should be more concerned with the state of their affairs.

At least we should have a good showing against Pompey...

However surprising it may be, bolton did win, yaaaaay! :) Woop for gardner, first prem goal in 6 seasons and thank YOU richard dunne for the second. Oh and Jussi, if you're reading, I love you. :heart: lol

Damn this year is gonna be so tight. Look at the league table at the moment from 7th place to 20th there is only 6 point difference.

Win a couple you're in europe, lose a couple and you're in a relegation battle. Exiting timez.

Just back from the match :D - Good performance, deserved win in spite of some woeful officiating and a much needed 3 points taking us above the mackems and within a point of Man City.

Only negative from tonight is that our second goal cost me £35 because one of my bets was a quid on 1-0 Martins first scorer :heh:

Just watched Liverpool against Athletico Madrid.

Liverpool, one-nil down in the 93rd minute, out of 94. Ball into the box, Gerrard goes up for it, defender goes for it, too. Down Gerrard goes like a sack of spuds. Penalty.

Although the referee had a poor game to begin with, how lucky can Liverpool get? They created chances, but did fuck all with them. As a spectator, these kinds of decisions made by referees infuriate me.

Yeah, I can actually say stuff about this! I watched. Liverpools last penalty was a bit ridiculous, but I spose they were owed one (You could say by technicality) from earlier, so its all swings, roundabouts and see sawes really.

Well we should have had a penalty anyway, so justice has been done.

What about the Carragher-handball?

It's just very convenient, that's all.

The one where it hit his knee first?

How could he move his hand out the way in time

The one where it hit his knee first?

How could he move his hand out the way in time

There's been plenty of penalties given for that. Maybe it was ball to hand, but equally it could have been given.

Yeh but it would be really harsh

Like giving the last penalty was harsh?

Now, whatever happened earlier in the match really doesn't matter. Referees and linesmen can't go around making up for their earlier mistakes by giving away soft decisions. If this happened in every game, the integrity of football would be in a right mistake.

Honest opinion: Gerrard went down (made the most of it, which I guess he has every right to in this day and age), Ref and linesmen thought "shit, its the last minute, they're still losing. Should I have given the penalty earlier? I could give one here."

Like giving the last penalty was harsh?

Now, whatever happened earlier in the match really doesn't matter. Referees and linesmen can't go around making up for their earlier mistakes by giving away soft decisions. If this happened in every game, the integrity of football would be in a right mistake.

Honest opinion: Gerrard went down (made the most of it, which I guess he has every right to in this day and age), Ref and linesmen thought "shit, its the last minute, they're still losing. Should I have given the penalty earlier? I could give one here."

So hes suppose to right himself up in mid air?

How could he make the most of it? He couldn't help but go down as he jumped for the ball, and he wasn't exactly rolling around was he.

So hes suppose to right himself up in mid air?

How could he make the most of it? He couldn't help but go down as he jumped for the ball, and he wasn't exactly rolling around was he.

Can you honestly say its a foul? There were plenty of occasions in that game where players have been grounded, but it doesn't mean its a foul.

To be honest, I think Gerrard knew what he was doing. He's the Captain of his team, losing, knew it was the last minute, and both players jumped for the ball. The momentum of the other player (running), and the jump, caused Gerrard to go down. Honest opinion, did you think he went down a bit too easily, or more so than he probably would?

Can you honestly say its a foul? There were plenty of occasions in that game where players have been grounded, but it doesn't mean its a foul.

To be honest, I think Gerrard knew what he was doing. He's the Captain of his team, losing, knew it was the last minute, and both players jumped for the ball. The momentum of the other player (running), and the jump, caused Gerrard to go down. Honest opinion, did you think he went down a bit too easily, or more so than he probably would?

I didn't think it was a penalty, but the other player had no intention of trying to head the ball, was a stupid lunge.

I didn't think it was a penalty, but the other player had no intention of trying to head the ball, was a stupid lunge.

To be fair to him, he was darting across the box, so I do think it was more his momentum and perhaps eagerness for the ball?

Anyway, you think that's a bad decision, just watched the highlights of the Chelsea game. Deco got sent off for taking a free-kick too quickly. What is the world coming to, eh? (it was a second yellow, but still...hahahahhaa)

Edit: Just watched the Liverpool highlights/the match again...Gerrard pretty much jumped into the player, too. If you get the chance, look at the way he went down, again.

Well we should have had a penalty anyway, so justice has been done.

as Flinky has said that Atletico handball was never a penalty and neither was the one you did get