N-Europe

Mosquitos

Heaven

I was told ages ago that if you eat something like Marmite (i know you either love it or hate it) in the morning mosquitos won't bite you for the day, something to do with it putting so much wheat in your blood system and mosquitos do not like wheaty blood (not sure if its wheat, might be something else).

I was meant to try this when I went to the Philippines this year, but forgot to buy some Marmite and couldn't find it or anything similar over there. :heh:

When I was in Thailand I used Deet. Factor 100.

It burnt through the plastic on my DS.

Its the f*cking noise the mosquitos make when you are trying to get to sleep, right by your ear.

100% Deet, that must be pretty damn strong (and smelly). I used 95% when I was in Malawi and that was realy strong.

Its the f*cking noise the mosquitos make when you are trying to get to sleep, right by your ear.

I hate that so much, I hear that buzzing and I up like a shot, swinging furiously at the air around my head hoping I might get lucky and smack the evil hell beast

Wouldn't they have to bite you to find out you taste like minging Marmite? (And this isn't a discussion Marmite wishes it could taste like raw sewage.)

100% Deet, that must be pretty damn strong (and smelly). I used 95% when I was in Malawi and that was realy strong.

Well, nothing bit me so it worked! :D

I don't think my DS was so happy.

I hate that so much, I hear that buzzing and I up like a shot, swinging furiously at the air around my head hoping I might get lucky and smack the evil hell beast

The problem is, you kill one, another will take its place. AAAARRRGH!!

The problem is, you kill one, another will take its place. AAAARRRGH!!

Last summer, out of sheer frustration of not being able to sleep, I did the old deodorant/long match trick (outside), and got three of the bastards. More took their place, as you said, but it sure was satisfying. :yay:

The wheat-eating trick works too, and is less likely to result in destruction of property or the loss of ones eyebrows.

Mosquitoes/Malaria was the only thing I knew how to cover in Geography this year.

-The parasite plasmodium in what causes malaria.

-The female anopheles mosquito acts as a vector for the disease.

etc.

I've never actually come into contect with one though.

Last summer, out of sheer frustration of not being able to sleep, I did the old deodorant/long match trick (outside), and got three of the bastards. More took their place, as you said, but it sure was satisfying. :yay:

That technique works with cockroaches too! :laughing:

Just remembered, a worse situation than trying to sleep with mosqitos buzzing around, is trying to shower with the devils buzzing around.

It takes me ages to take a shower when in the philippines, I spend the 1st 10 mins "clapping" the air trying to kill any black dot i see in motion through the air, while trying to protect my balls and ass at the same time, two places I have never had a mosqito bite, and i intend to keep it that way.

Incidently what do ye think is the worst place you've been bitten.

I hate it when they get you right on the knuckle in the middle of your finger, swells up like a bitch cuz whenever you bend your finger it has the same effect as scratching, I had to splint my finger and wrap it in a plaster to make sure i couldn't bend it

Isn't it they hate alcohol and wheat in the blood stream, so the obvious solution would be to drink lots of wheat beer. That would suit me down to the ground. Anyway at least mosquitos are quick in the blood sucking process. Midges are worse for sheer brutality and then you have ticks. Ugh, ticks are horrible to get off. :shakehead