N-Europe

Spyborgs

Dante

How many decent J-RPGs are there on any console these days?

Off the top of my head, I'm counting Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and then firing blanks.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. If anyone really wants J-RPGs PS2, DS and PSP are still their main bets.

Spyborgs!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's arguing that, but what the hell does it have to do with what we were talking about? It's like people can't wait to say "hurr hurr Wii has no epic RPGs", keyword here being epic.

Ok but I only used the word epic because I read it in the Birdmen article which you linked.

I'll rephrase:

Where are all the decent RPG's?

The only one I can think of (I've never played Fire Emblem so I'll look into getting that) is the new FF:CC on the wii game thingy.

Looks like i forgot to post in here when i saw the trailer some time ago. Love insomniac as their R & C games are class (still need to completed numero dos so I can move onto the third one >.<) and the trailer looked cool tool. I am realising that I am easily impressed when it comes to graphics, as long as they have a nice consistent style (too much brown or horrible interfaces ruin my enjoyment sometimes).

Wasn't what I was expecting (but then I can't even remember what I was expecting) but am waiting for this one with a positive perspective. Although there are loads of titles on the wii I havent got yet like Mario Galaxy!

Ok but I only used the word epic because I read it in the Birdmen article which you linked.

I'll rephrase:

Where are all the decent RPG's?

The only one I can think of (I've never played Fire Emblem so I'll look into getting that) is the new FF:CC on the wii game thingy.

The article I linked is very derrogative about the guys who use that word :P

Let me repgrase: this mattar came out of nowhere!

I had a look at the screenshots a while ago and thought this looked fairly good and It's great to see third parties trying on the Wii. :)

Then I had a gander at the video today and It looks much better than I thought. I'm easily pleased when it comes to graphics and as long as they aren't just bad (ubisoft) and the game plays well and has a certain style, which this game seems to have, then It's all good to me. : peace:

The characters have me interested although they do look a bit basic and as if they are "trying to hard" to come up with crazy characters.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one and hope to see more at E3.

How many decent J-RPGs are there on any console these days?

Off the top of my head, I'm counting Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and then firing blanks.

I suppose squareenix haven't got their act together yet. But this is true there really isn't that much.

Look there was fucking hundreds on the PS2, there's a few on the 360, some coming on Wii and some on PS3. The market doesn't revolve around rpg's, I appreciate they're popular mainly due to their long replay times and in-depth storylines but a console's worth isn't determined by how many there are.

Personally I only want quality over quantity with those games, the storylines are generally so samey and cliché that I can't really stomach playing many JRPGs nowadays and just focus on stand-out ones.

Look there was fucking hundreds on the PS2, there's a few on the 360, some coming on Wii and some on PS3. The market doesn't revolve around rpg's, I appreciate they're popular mainly due to their long replay times and in-depth storylines but a console's worth isn't determined by how many there are.

Personally I only want quality over quantity with those games, the storylines are generally so samey and cliché that I can't really stomach playing many JRPGs nowadays and just focus on stand-out ones.

1) I'm talking about next gen consoles, nothing to do with PS2.

2) At what point was anyone discussing the market revolving around RPGs or anything of the sort? I don't even like JRPGs other than a few exceptions.

3) Quality over quantity would be a good argument if there was any kind of quality to go with the lack of quantity :p

2) At what point was anyone discussing the market revolving around RPGs or anything of the sort? I don't even like JRPGs other than a few exceptions.

It's something that feels suggested whenever you get anyone (and it happens too often) going "Oh God where are all the good Wii games where are all the RPG's?!?!"

RPGs are popular amongst a niche market, they're hardly setting the sales charts a light.

RPGs are popular amongst a niche market, they're hardly setting the sales charts a light.

Probably because they have, for the most part. followed the same formula, barely evolving. People can't stand random battles anymore so that has been eventually cut from some franchises, like FF. They also have to change up the fighting mechanics, but for the most part, they often still remain turn based. And yeah, they really are samey. Once you have played one, you have played about ten other, just like it.

That said, I love my JRPGS and have a small list that I need to complete or get like Odin's sphere *drools*

• 4 weeks later...

No Spyborgs showing at E3.

This question was asked on the Capcom-Unity forums…

I was wondering if perhaps Capcom was planning on a game to make full use of Wii’s power. The Wii has had terrible 3rd party support and often don’t put effort in maximizing the graphics, physics and dynamics possible on Wii. Some interviews as well as looks at some games in development for it look to push it in ways nobody could imagine (factor 5’s project for example)

Of course, Capcom-Unity super-poster/employee Christian Svensson dropped this tiny response…

Spyborgs will be that product. Wait and see.

Mr. Svensson also went on to discuss the lack of Spyborgs at E3…

Captivate was the announcement with very little detail shared… it’ll lie low for a bit until we’re ready for a bigger reveal (similar to what we did with the Dark Void announcement last October with the bigger reveal at Captivate), so no E3 showing.

I'm glad to see they are putting the effort in rather than concentrating on having something shoddy ready just in time for E3. Spyborgs wasn't on my E3 radar anyway so I'm not gonna miss it this time round and its definitely best they show it when its good and ready.

• 1 month later...

Spyborgs undergoing considerable refinement

"You won't see new assets for several more months. We're refining it considerably (pretty much as significant an overhaul as Dark Void underwent from its first announcement to its first big reveal). I have seen a new build recently though... it's coming along nicely. That's all I'll say about that for now. B)"

- Christian Svensson

• 4 months later...

It looks like the game will look nothing like it originally was. This would explain the lack of screens, details, well basically anything since it was announced. This pretty much goes hand in hand with what was reported a while back.

Awhile back, we heard that Capcom was going to really rework Spyborgs. It’s been a long time since we heard that statement, but the latest Nintendo Power brings us up to speed. The comment below is concerning Spyborgs.

“significantly retooled and will bear little resemblance to what’s been shown thus far.” - Nintendo Power

Capcom obviously listened to Wii owners, and their reaction to the first showing of Spyborgs. I wonder just how dramatically they are going to change the look and feel of the game.

Source:GoNintendo

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!