Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Shenmue for Wii

Ren of Heavens

There's been hints on a new Shenmue since the release of the last game - it still hasn't materialised. Nothing of any substance has ever come out of SEGA apart from them saying over and over that its not in production. If there was anything credible behind these rumours then it might be possible' date=' as it is I'd say its pretty safe to bet on it not coming out.[/quote']Shenmue III that is.

There's nothing to say we won't see ports of I & II on Wii, and it's quite likely what with Bass Fishing, HotD, Samba, and possibly Space Chanel 5, Sega seem to be going through their Dreamcast back catalogue.

With a Wii re-release the chances of a third game may at some stage change, you never know.

I think the Shenmue II port on the Xbox was a bad test really. Being the sequel, it was going to sell less.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Companies don't release games to give the fans a chance of a sequael' date=' they do it to make money. New Shenmues are very unlikey to make any money and so they won't be released.[/quote']It's still their property and one of their most valuable ones seeing how ambitious and ahead of it's time it was; it's of their best interest to keep it alive; so... it's a mutual interest for the userbase and sega itself.

Problem is how demanding the userbase is, instead of offering Sega prospects of profit... they demand a run of the mill game made in 2008 like it was 2000 instead of really understanding the situation they're in and what they should be demanding, thinking ahead of their and the company's best interests, seeking something that makes sense for both (hence, they are not realistic). and that right now would be a Wii version... Thing is... Sega isn't investing a bucketload on it again; Hell, I'd say a shenmue PSP makes more sense than Shenmue 3 on X360, although stranger things have happened (I'm not saying shenmue psp makes sense, mind you, just saying that HD platforms make close to none at this point); either due to moneyhats or simply bad market decisions. But it's a too big of a risk; this? is not; it actually makes sense for them.

The sales are OK if the game had been a regular release. Considering the cost of the thing they're horrendous. It didn't have the effect of pulling in new users to the machine and obviously didn't go over too well as the sequel sold even worse.

For this game to be considered for a remake it would have to have sold a hell of a lot more' date=' or at least there'd need to be some proof that there's now an expanded market for this type of thing. Unfortunately it just doesn't hit any criteria it need to for a rerelease / sequel.[/quote']

Agreed. I'm thinking maybe Shenmues production values was a critical factor to Sega calling it quits in the console business.

Atleast this time, production values won't be quite as much as the first 2 since it won't have constant delays and revamps.

I think SEGA are still abit self-conscious(sp?) about how much it might cost to even do a 3rd game. Also the DreamCast failed for a few reasons instead of just production values.

I'd buy this purelly for shorter and quieter loading times. Porting the game to a more powerful console would inevitably mean that the popup would be gone. Hopefully the version released over here will at least contain japanese voices, because the ones in english were terrible.

Improved graphics would be nice, but the stuff I said would be awsome.

And don't forget about the fact that shenmue already has been remade for the Xbox, with improved graphics.

I think the DC version has the Japanese voices because they didn't have time to dub, then the other versions where dubbed.
Shenmue I on the dreamcast had english voices and japanese voices,

Then strangely, Shenmue II on dreamcast had just japanese voices with subtitles.

I played both DC versions through, and the Xbox Shenmue 2 and I have to say I'm happy with either the voice acting or subtitles for the Wii version. Ideally I'd like to see an option to select one or the other.

Also, you can't complain about the voice acting in the English version. It's part of the Shenmue deal. ;)

This is going to happen isn't it?

/crosses everything

And don't forget about the fact that shenmue already has been remade for the Xbox, with improved graphics.
That's actually the idea Sega wanted to give, but for the most part... they're actually worse. They're blurier, some textures are actually worse, some are gone (some overlapped too) and seems like they had problems with transparencies so they actually took down most of the signs hanging from one side of the street to the other, as well as rework a lot of other transparencies such as glass (some stopped being transparent), street signals, etc

Their saving grace is the decreased load times, better water, no pop up and more stable framerate. (I won't state Bloom as a improvement)

Does the job perfectly though, so it's not like it's a crap port, but... I wouldn't call it a improvement.

More importantly, what Wii features do you guys want in a Shenmue Wii? I for one would love to see the local arcade flourishing with more games, if you purchased a arcade pre-november 1986 game from VC a new arcade cabinet could appear and allow you to play it...for example a Donkey Kong cabinet :D (or since Ryo has a Saturn at home, they could ignore the time frame the game takes place on); this said, considering 1986 consoles, I wouldn't dislike to see the Saturn in his house to be exchanged for a NES, allowing people to play pre-1986 games. (and who says NES, says other consoles, who knows, you could purchase them, or just have them lying around; also... Sega Master System was one month old in the beginning of Shenmue 1)

I would love to see a Japanese voice-overs option too; as the english releases were hideous (Just remembered that's a con of the xbox version of Shenmue 2 too)

Mini-games to be in... well, the darts one seems self-explanatory, the pool too, pool... I vaguely recall a boxing one that could be great arghhh, so much stuff they could do on minigames.

Shenmue I on the dreamcast had english voices and japanese voices,

Then strangely, Shenmue II on dreamcast had just japanese voices with subtitles.

You mean Shenmue II on the underlined section right? because I'm quite sure my western Shenmue 1 has english voice-overs only.
Shenmue had Jap!? I did not know that...
Indeed (thinking shenmue 2), and that... was pure bliss.

I have all Japanese Shenmue's though, Shenmue 1 in japanese is so much better.

Hey, I just remembered! I really want the "What's Shenmue?" demo on a Shenmue port/remaster! (I have that one in Japanese as well, but it wasn't translated and a lot of people deserve to play it)

Yeah I quite liked the english voice overs, though they could have been better acted!

I didn't like having to read the subtitles in the second, I always felt I was slightly missing out on what was happening on screen and I think it's the main reason that despite being fantastic, I didn't get so absorbed into Shenmue II.

This is going to happen isn't it?

/crosses everything

We (all) Wish!

No one knows.

I didn't like having to read the subtitles in the second, I always felt I was slightly missing out on what was happening on screen and I think it's the main reason that despite being fantastic, I didn't get so absorbed into Shenmue II.
I think that's because you probably grew up with dubs or simply everything that the TV broadcasted was in your native languase, due to that lack of habit it seems like you kinda got lost tracking both stuff at the same time, I grew up with subs though and there's no going back for me (it becomes second nature).

I hate dubs with passion. Not that I can't stand Shenmue 1 dub... but give me the original voice-overs anyday.

I wish the voice-overs were in chinese for Shenmue 2 though, after all it takes place in China, Shenmue can't be talking Japanese. But still, they're miles over hills better than the English dub.

As I say I loved both the Jap and English voice acting. I mean, the English one was terrible, but really that was part of the charm. The subs didn't bother me at all on the Xbox. I like to watch foreign films, so I'm used to reading subs.

Shenmue 2 was my fave though, and that really surprised me to be honest. I adored the first one, and didn't expect no.2 to have anywhere near the impact of it. But it did and more so for me. The music is just something else. I've never heard anything like it before or since, and I still listen to it every day. I loved the peril of an alien place for Ryo in Hong Kong, and I loved the beauty you could find in it's ugliest corners. Stunning.

Shenmue 2 was my fave though, and that really surprised me to be honest. I adored the first one, and didn't expect no.2 to have anywhere near the impact of it. But it did and more so for me. The music is just something else. I've never heard anything like it before or since, and I still listen to it every day. I loved the peril of an alien place for Ryo in Hong Kong, and I loved the beauty you could find in it's ugliest corners. Stunning.
Everything with Ren was epic!

• 3 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!