N-Europe

See I think we are great examples of people having similar yet vastly different tastes. I'm pro-refining and you're pro-defining in terms of games. I think what I like most about the games I play is that they provide me with great challenges, something that Wii didn't do. It can be fun but not as rewarding as completing difficult levels etc in HD.

Shit not another 'console war'.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just read about the delay and I am a bit relieved.

It was going to be a struggle (and still will be) to afford Tales of Vesperia, Overlord 2 and Overlord : Dark Legend and this on the same day.

Although the apparent lack of any reviews regarding Overlord : DL so close to release are a major concern.

I personally found it boring, too simple and just generally what I don't want from a game. The main feature of the game being that you control your minions to destroy stuff but it got repetitive just from the demo so god forbid me if the full game half-decent.

Many demos aren't good but the gameplay for Overlord is just inexcusable.

Sounds like you only played the demo (if not, my apologies), in which case the full game did have a bit more depth with different Minion types offering varying ways to tackle puzzles and/or enemies. Granted, it was a Pikmin rip but with a bit more humour, which was an acquired taste admittedly.

Anyway, probably time to get back on topic :p.

Cool, ca you remember any of the specifics of what they said on the NVC? I respect Matt + IGNs opinion as I usually understand where they are coming from, so I'll be checking out their review for sure. :hehe:

Here's what I remember. For starters, the in game "time" only counts missions that you live through the entirety, so lets say your play time is 5hrs, and you play a mission, and 10 minutes into it you die, your play time is still 5hrs. Matt's play time was just under 6hrs. However, because that doesn't count missions you died in and so forth, its more like 8-10hrs. He acknowledged that seemed short, but noted that there's tons of achievements and unlockables you'll definitely want to go back and get.

The game feels ridiculously similar to Perfect Dark (in a good way) and noted that sometimes the frame rate is a little like in Perfect Dark as well. But nothing major.

Overall, he said he was very impressed if what HVS had come up with, and said that anyone waiting for the game would be very impressed.

The mainstream gamers chavs are already starting to troll the IGN user reviews...

Anyway. I'm starting to get even more excited now that I'll be playing this in just a little over 2 days. Expect impressions tuesday evening.

Edit:

Different stores are advertising different dates for Canada...

Futureshop : June 25th

Best Buy : June 24th

Amazon.ca : June 23rd

WTF.

May have to look around.

Edit:

IGN have given it 8.6:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/996/996847p1.html

Play.com are offering free Conduit speakers with the game, and at the same price as GAME. I think I'll order from there. :heh:

I noticed that a while ago and decided to just pre-order the game from there aswell :heh:

Wasn't really gonna get thsistraight away but with that and the special edition I thought what the hell.

Is it just me that found that IGN video review rather laconic? Like I know it's got similarities in terms of setting to many of the other FPSs on the market but the guy reviewing just sounded like he didn't give a toss really. ::shrug: Anyway, 8.6 is a good score. I'm waiting to hear impressions from those that have actually got the game on another site but I haven't seen anything pop up yet. Perhaps later in the day.

I'll be going to the store in about half an hour (when it opens). Hopefully someone got the game in today. I don't have much hope though.

Matt had to rate the game in the 80s. If he went any higher he would have gotten lynched by angry PS360 fanboys (who are using this game as a major Wii bashing target already). Its already the best review out there though.

No GT review yet. Fail.

Well writers are meant to be professional so I don't think fanboys from other consoles would affect his score. 8.6/10 or 9/10 who cares? I think you're being slightly fanboyish in suggesting that the game deserves better without having played it.

And that isn't a fail moment. Plus the word pisses me off now, it used to be good on the odd occasion.

IGN's review and video review painted a good picture. It wasn't like I was going to can my preorder anyway!

One thing that does interest me was the likening of the Conduit to Perfect Dark. Personally I prefered the style of PD and Goldeneye to the likes of COD. It's not that I don't like COD, it's just it's heavily scripted and relies on large set pieces and constantly pushing forward.

Where as PD and Goldeneye had that great feeling of being able to attempt a level however you wanted - do what objectives you wanted first and deciding on brute force or stealth. I highly doubt The Conduit will be as good as PD though.

Well writers are meant to be professional so I don't think fanboys from other consoles would affect his score. 8.6/10 or 9/10 who cares? I think you're being slightly fanboyish in suggesting that the game deserves better without having played it.

And that isn't a fail moment. Plus the word pisses me off now, it used to be good on the odd occasion.

Well no great engine but it really only looks like an expansion, they should always make the mario games a vastly different experience. The drill item isn't that, neither is anything from the trailer.

Sorry, but when I read your original post I thought 'has he just dismissed the entirety of Galaxy 2 on the basis of one trailer, and when he hasn't played the game himself?'

Also - Cheer up, it's not all bad :D

I'm pretty happy with the score tbh. I wasn't expecting very much more when I heard the shortness of the story and that several of the corridors are generic and similar etc. Overall I'm very happy, especially with the references to PD and controls. Pretty awesome. Shame I can't afford things :(

I wasn't saying it deserves higher. I never said that in my post. I was saying even if he would have liked to have rated it higher, he probably wouldn't as the haters would go nuts. 8.6 is a great score, and based on what I've heard about the game, thats actually about what I would think it should get. You also assumed that I had been unsuccessful in purchasing the game this morning, although, you would be right.

I'll be checking a few other stores in my area this afternoon, but I don't have much hope. I doubt at this point that the shipments will be in before thursday.

One thing that does interest me was the likening of the Conduit to Perfect Dark. Personally I prefered the style of PD and Goldeneye to the likes of COD. It's not that I don't like COD, it's just it's heavily scripted and relies on large set pieces and constantly pushing forward.

About 2 weeks ago I sat down and made myself play the single player mode of COD:WAW as I had hardly touched it due to the online side of things. It was pretty average, and nothing special, so I hope The Conduit has a better campaign. The most annoying thing was that you had about 10+ allies with you on every level helping you out, thus not leaving you with many enemies to take out. Good thing you're not in a squad in this game - if only WW2 shooters could do the same as MoH Frontline and send you on missions alone or with only 3 allies - not realistic maybe but it makes the game better! I'm also going to try and spend a few hours with the main game before heading online too.

Also if there wasn't a PAL delay, we'd all be looking forward to the postman's visit tomorrow or Thursday right now :indeed:

We're probably going to have to wait for GT's. For some reason they don't review certain games that you would think they would, so they might not even review this. I wonder if the review copies are as late as the retail copies. Nobody seems to have this game yet.

Edit:

Lol at Gamepro review:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/210916/the-conduit/

The reviewer:

Didn't play the multiplayer

Skiped all the story bits and said the game had a bad story

Said the graphics weren't much better than goldeneye's, and that were in generally bad graphics because the game was on the Wii (in general he took points off because he was comparing the graphics to PS360PC graphics).

Complained about the controls because he was too lazy to change them.

This is THE most unprofessional review I've ever read.

3.5/5 (7/10)

The game now has a metacritic of 79.

Edited by Emasher

Alrighty folks, GamesRadar's review is up! Check it out! They gave the title 8/10, praising it's great controls and brilliant online.

Seems to me most of the in-depth reviews seem to be giving the game around an 8, which is plenty good enough for me (Conduit holds 79 on Metacritic, while Prototype holds 80, and Madworld with 81). Preordered the game, and will pick it up whenever Sega decide to release it in Australia (the date has 'changed' about 3 times in the past 2 weeks).