Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic Unleashed

mcj metroid

Well yeah, you would expect the Wii version to incorporate motion controls!

Yeah got to agree with ReZourceman on this one, Wii controls yes, but not necessarily full motion sensing. If they follow on the controls SatSR had I might actually consider not getting it, I found them too inaccessible and I don't like the game that much as a result, haven't finished it yet which for a Sonic game is a bit thing for me. Different controls sure, but where useful. Motion controls don't have to be there though, but I guess we'll see what they give us.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why! Its not needed. Im of the extremely strong opinion that it should only be added if it improves the game, ala Excite Truck or Resident Evil 4, not subbed in for what can easily be performed with a button ala jumping = Mario Galaxy = good, Sonic Secret Rings = awful (jumping wise) (And imo game wise too)
Yeah I know [was just being sarcastic!] and I do actually agree with you.

I didn't think S&TSR incorporated motion controls all that well to actually add to the gameplay experience and I really hope they manage to implement it into this game better.

Steering Sonic was ok, but I don't think it was necessary.

I'm not sure if they'll use motion steering in this game because the game switches between 2D and 3D very quickly, and that would mean having to switch control styles very quickly [presuming you don't use motion steering in the 2D sections, which surely you wouldn't!?]

So I think it may be a return to analogue control.

I think analogue steering + simple motion moves could work well!

A 'flick' left or right whilst running, to dodge or side-step, and motioning the direction of the homing-attack etc... Is really all that's needed.

Actually, the wiimote only is sufficient. Use it like old school in 2D and like SOTR in 3D.

But the nunchuck can also be used to steer by tilting. Seriously, why would you want a Wii if you don't want motion controls.

Also, I bet this will have lots of control methods.

Seriously, why would you want a Wii if you don't want motion controls.

As some of us have said, only if it's done well ;)

I played through about 3/4 os SatSR the first time, then about a month later started again from the beginning to get back into it but only got to about 1/3 before stopping again. The controls just don't 'invite' me into the game if you get me, and it's one of the only Wii games I own where I haven't found it's niche yet.

I never had any problem with SOTR jumping and I think adding motion controls makes the game much more fun than pressing a button IF well implemented.

I said that too :P

Well, SotR did get mixed reactions, so it makes sense, I liked it though.

i'll take hellfire's word for it i played about 3 hours of Secret rings and thought it was the worst thing on the wii ever(worst than monkey ball?.....yes)

I'll hold out on this one..after playing right through sonic cd again i really yearn for his glorious return it CAN be done.

It played quite fun to be honest, but the controls were too unforgiving so I just could never get into it. They had the right idea imo, just make it simpler controls and it would have been so much better. Having to tilt the Wii-mote back to move backwards was unnecessary imo when an analogue stick or a D-pad could do the same thing...

Yeah the reversing was a bit weird, but I thought (from what I played) that the Secret Rings was pretty good for a) a Sonic game and b) being a very early Wii game.

I should check Wiki before I say this, but why the sudden hype over Dimps? I'm thinking they made Tales of the Tempest, which wasn't well received at all...

Tbh Dimps made lots of shit games and good games, but since we're in Sonic territory and Dimpa made Rush, like Shadow said, I trust them.

They go where the money is, pay them to make something with a crappy concept, and obviously you get crap like "barbie's house of fluffy bunnies".

To be fair, you can only make crap games out of a crap concept.

Sonic always had potential which is why the rush games came out good.

Tbh Dimps made lots of shit games and good games, but since we're in Sonic territory and Dimpa made Rush, like Shadow said, I trust them.

So they are good enough to make the step up from DS to Wii and still deliver something thats worth getting hyped over?

Dimps are also doing Street Fighter 4

O rly? Well I thought Capcom would have made that one themselves, but if Dimps can be trusted with Street Fighter, then they can do Sonic.

So they are good enough to make the step up from DS to Wii and still deliver something thats worth getting hyped over?

Well, considering the game has a 2D part and they did awesome 2D sonics yes, but remember they're doing the coding, they're not directing. Not to mention that Sonic Team isn't exactly trustworthy.

I really liked Secret Rings too, best Sonic for YEARS!!! I loved how it kept its sense of speed with the motion controls, seriously enjoyed it!

Looking forward to this, i have no doubt it will cream the "next gen" versions!

Personally I can't imagine why anyone would be looking forward to this after the last few installments of sonic. But each to their own.

Different development staff and a completely different gameplay premise to those games?

Sequels and future instalments in franchises should be judged based on the development team and how likely it is for them to be an improvement taking everything into account. When you have a case of the last console game being so shit that it didn't sell, you know they're aware they cant get away with it anymore.

The interviews suggest it's pretty much entirely new staff working on the game too (even the 360/PS3 build, as "Sonic Team" seems to go through a ton of staff changes), which gives you hope that they fired people responsible for making the last huge budget game a critical disaster and got some decent talent in.

I don't ever think with any franchise "oh the last game was shit so this one will be too", though neither do I get hyped unless I have good reason, however I do get interested when I at least see that the developer is noticibly shifting gears and changing some stuff up.

It's funny by the way how people who only experienced early Secret Rings and people who stuck in it far enough to see it later on essentially experienced two different games (One with crappy slow unresponsive controls and one with much faster, smooth gameplay with flawless steering) but that's the developer's own fault for making you earn good controls through upgrades in the game.

Different development staff and a completely different gameplay premise to those games?

Sequels and future instalments in franchises should be judged based on the development team and how likely it is for them to be an improvement taking everything into account. When you have a case of the last console game being so shit that it didn't sell, you know they're aware they cant get away with it anymore.

The interviews suggest it's pretty much entirely new staff working on the game too (even the 360/PS3 build, as "Sonic Team" seems to go through a ton of staff changes), which gives you hope that they fired people responsible for making the last huge budget game a critical disaster and got some decent talent in.

I don't ever think with any franchise "oh the last game was shit so this one will be too", though neither do I get hyped unless I have good reason, however I do get interested when I at least see that the developer is noticibly shifting gears and changing some stuff up.

It's funny by the way how people who only experienced early Secret Rings and people who stuck in it far enough to see it later on essentially experienced two different games (One with crappy slow unresponsive controls and one with much faster, smooth gameplay with flawless steering) but that's the developer's own fault for making you earn good controls through upgrades in the game.

Spot on James.

I see where you're coming from, but past history says a lot to consumers. Gaming franchises build up a reputation for eothr being good, or not so good.

Sonic games imo have been in the not-so-good category ever since they moved to 3D, with several of the titles being in the bad-to-dire section. That's why I'm not holding out much hope.

Obviously, if the game turns out to be great then that will be good and it would warrant purchase. However until then things will be judged on their past form - as with anything in life.

I suppose only time will tell, but if the bookies were taking bets I think odds would be on that it wouldn't be wonderful!

• 1 month later...

I noticed the news of the release date earlier too.

Every Sega title for this year dated. No Skies of Arcadia yet chaps...

Sega has a good amount of Nintendo lovin' due this year - and into next, with the confirmation of the rather adult-looking Mad World for the first part of 2009. These are of course the European dates - so don't expect any unrevealed titles to be shown. Anything Sega are keeping up their sleeves (for example, a certain airship based RPG and the inevitable Mario & Sonic at the Olympics 2) will probably not be revealed until E3, or the Tokyo Games Show.

So without further ado, here is Sega's full lineup:

* The Incredible Hulk (DS and 360 - June 13; PS3 and PS2 - June 20; PC - June 27)

* Beijing 2008 (360, PS3 and PC - June 27)

* Samba De Amigo (Wii - August)

* Space Siege (PC - August 22)

* Picto Image (DS - September)

* Golden Axe Raiders (360 and PS3 - September)

* Sonic Chronicles (DS - September)

* Yakuzza 2 (PS2 - September)

* Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 - Autumn)

* Sonic Unleashed (Wii, 360, PS2 and PS3 - November)

* Empire Total War (PC - early 2009)

* Alpha Protocol (PC, 360 and PS3 - early 2009)

* Mad World (Wii - early 2009)

* Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3 and 360 - early 2009)

A few other Wii and DS ones in there too. :)

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=11922

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!