N-Europe

Juno

Slaggis

Plot: (From IMDB)

Sixteen year-old Juno MacGuff is the type of girl that beats to her own drummer, and doesn't really care what others may think of her. She learns that she's pregnant from a one-time sexual encounter with her best friend, Paulie Bleeker. Juno and Paulie like each other, but don't consider themselves to be exclusive boyfriend/girlfriend let alone be ready to be a family complete with child. Although she would rather not be pregnant, Juno is fairly pragmatic about her situation. Although there, Paulie really leaves all the decisions about the baby to Juno. Initially she decides that she will have an abortion, but that's something that she ultimately cannot go through with. So she decides to have the baby and give it up for adoption. But first she has to tell her father, Mac, and stepmother, Bren, that she is pregnant. Although they would have preferred if Juno was on hard drugs or expelled from school, Mac and Bren too are pragmatic about Juno's situation. The next step is to find prospective parents for the yet unborn child. In the Pennysaver ad section, Juno finds Mark and Vanessa Loring, a yuppie couple living in the suburbs. Juno likes the Lorings, and in some respects has found who looks to be a kindred spirit in Mark, with whom she shares a love of grunge music and horror films. Vanessa is a little more uptight and is the one in the relationship seemingly most eager to have a baby. On her own choosing, Juno enters into a closed rather than open adoption contract with the Lorings - meaning she will have no contact with the baby after she gives it up. During the second and third trimesters of Juno's pregnancy which she treats with care but detachment, Juno's relationships with her family, with Paulie, and with the Lorings develop, the latter whose on the surface perfect life masks some hidden problems.

Alien/Predator got it's own thread, as did cloverfield. This owns them both, so I thought I'd make a thread.

Have you seen it? Do you think it's massively over-rated, or a masterpeice?

It's done amazingly at the US Box-office, it's now over the 100 million mark so with a budget of 6.5 million, thats one hell of a profit.

--

I know there's bugger all chance of it winning the Best Picture Oscar, or Ellen Page Winning Best Actress, but it's nice to see them being acknowledged at least. It's basically this years Little Miss Sunshine, which was also a brilliant little movie and it'll probably come off with the same award as that did, Best Screenplay (original).

Junoposter2007.jpg

Although the narrative was good, personally I wasn't too fond of the film. I found it cringeworthy in parts, and I was annoyed at the cocky persona of Ellen Page's character. Definetely not the classic everyone's making it out to be.

Same here. Just doesn't sound like you can make a comedy out of something like this.

It's a Drama, that deals with the issue in a nice way,especially the ending. It's not just a comedy.

*minor spoiler*

Like the moment when she's driving, stops the car and bursts out crying, it's pretty sad to watch.

It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, really excellent.

A comedy can be made out of any premise, however bleak or unfunny the premise may sound.

On the subject of the film, it's okay, but it's vastly overrated and I'm shocked and appalled at all the praise that's been thrown at it. How this won Best Original Screenplay at the Bafta's is beyond me, some of the dialogue is atrocious.

And "Garden State" isn't a bad comparison for this actually. It's much better than "Garden State" though as it actually has a couple of things going for it, one of which is the soundtrack. Otherwise it's the cast that carries it, especially Michael Cera and Jason Bateman.

I havent seen it yet, but everyone comparing it to Garden State suggests it will be hideously overated and with a pretentious soundtrack.

O___O

*pretends she didn't hear that*

juno was ok - not awesome... but... ok....

didnt understand why she got so freaked out in the abortion clinic though.. for such a cut-and-dry, fearless character to get freaked by a rude receptionist, or people tapping, or the thought of fingernails.... seemed really weird. but ive never been a pregnant 16 year old american.. what would i know?

juno was ok - not awesome... but... ok....

didnt understand why she got so freaked out in the abortion clinic though.. for such a cut-and-dry, fearless character to get freaked by a rude receptionist, or people tapping, or the thought of fingernails.... seemed really weird. but ive never been a pregnant 16 year old american.. what would i know?

I think that was the thing, we all thought she didn't really care about it, it wasn't worrying her, but then that pesky asian girl got to her and it finally made her think about what was happening.

At least, thats how I figure it.

Killthenet, I agree, I bought the soundtrack yesterday (I think Chairdriver has too). It's just so mellow.

It's not a comedy.

It's advertised as such to appeal to the retarded masses.

It's a quirky drama, that happens to be funny. But the humour is small and comes from the characters, and is most of all beleivable. Just because it ha Michael Cera in it doesn't make it Superbad (thankfully).

It's an awesome, cute and overall enjoyable film.

Ellen Page is one of my favourite actresses.

I think that was the thing, we all thought she didn't really care about it, it wasn't worrying her, but then that pesky asian girl got to her and it finally made her think about what was happening.

I agree. It's a very common thing in teenage drama stories, and is effective. It's like Catcher In The Rye in that respect. For all her confidence, she was still a young girl.

Did anyone else find the relationship between Juno and Mark a bit... wierd?

Sort of, but if you think that her best friend is a cheerleader (which doesn't seem to match Juno's indie spirit) and the father of her child is a shy geek, she probably finds a kindred spirit in Mark> He's interested in horror movie and old music etc.